House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruce Banner

A commonly used word - Pronunciation.

21 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Listening to the news channels these are the most used pronunciations.....

Reconisin and Reconising, but which is correct?

I'd suggest that it would depend on the syllable that follows.  We don't formally mutate in English, but the syllables do have to flow.

1 minute ago, Byron said:

Some accents actually pronounce the g on the end of the word.

Yes, that too, and sometimes the g in the middle (recognising) is pronounced, but that is so rare these days that I didn't bother to mention it.

8 minutes ago, Bruce Banner said:

Yes, that too, and sometimes the g in the middle (recognising) is pronounced, but that is so rare these days that I didn't bother to mention it.

I've never thought about it so my perceptions may be twisted by reading this, but I think I'm more likely to pronounce the g in the middle. The one at the end, it's there but might fade to almost completely indistinct there depending upon the following word. IMO the correct way is to have both.

1 minute ago, Riedquat said:

I've never thought about it so my perceptions may be twisted by reading this, but I think I'm more likely to pronounce the g in the middle. The one at the end, it's there but might fade to almost completely indistinct there depending upon the following word. IMO the correct way is to have both.

I agree, hard g in the middle and soft g at the end, but it's rarely pronounced that way these days....... at least not on Sky News.

Mutating the odd word into something that still has a distinct sound is fine in isolation.

But then some idiot decides that , if to make something into a weapon can best be described as the act of weaponizing, then surely, the act of making something into a wreck, can similarly best be described as the act of wreckonizing.

At that point, millions of people start to use extra grey matter to contextualize what the audible sound "reconising" really means. And then we all scratch our heads about the falling productivity figures.

2 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

Mutating the odd word into something that still has a distinct sound is fine in isolation.

But then some idiot decides that , if to make something into a weapon can best be described as the act of weaponizing, then surely, the act of making something into a wreck, can similarly best be described as the act of wreckonizing.

At that point, millions of people start to use extra grey matter to contextualize what the audible sound "reconising" really means. And then we all scratch our heads about the falling productivity figures.

So reconising a nucular containment shield would be enviromentally unfriendly?

1 hour ago, Bruce Banner said:

So reconising a nucular containment shield would be enviromentally unfriendly?

Provided the green mentalists were within the fallout zone.

I prefer the hypothetical example of a young curator at Tate Modern, stating they want to see modern works  reconised. I fantasize about the ensuing havoc ...

The first g should be pronounced. This keeps the root word link with cognition and cognisant.

7 hours ago, Dorkins said:

The first g should be pronounced. This keeps the root word link with cognition and cognisant.

not if you pronounce those sloppily as well