Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
macca13

The Great BIG redundancy thread!

Recommended Posts

So I have noticed lots of BAD news about redundancy, trying to figure out how this will effect the economy, and how many people this adds up to, and where in the country and what sectors most of the problems will fall.. 

pooling all this information on 1 thread may give us an easier guide to total loss and show what state our labour market is in.. 

maybe worth adding new jobs being created as well for balance.. see if we can make sense of the governments claims of a thriving economy..

please add any news below.. 

Edited by macca13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, macca13 said:

So I have noticed lots of BAD news about redundancy, trying to figure out how this will effect the economy, and how many people this adds up to, and where in the country and what sectors most of the problems will fall.. 

pooling all this information on 1 thread may give us an easier guide to total loss and show what state our labour market is in.. 

maybe worth adding new jobs being created as well for balance.. see if we can make sense of the governments claims of a thriving economy..

please add any news below.. 

The unemployed don't exist

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest

Legal and general up to 500 jobs going in Hove, Sussex

Every County, Unitary and District & Borough council cutting jobs a few at a time, or carrying unfilled vacancies. Schools too reducing support staff posts like specialist TAs. These don't make the news but add up to thousands.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As I aid in the GE redundancies thread... they all just become self employed dog walkers, dog groomers, nail technicians etc, ''working'' precisely 16 hours per week and all the problems of unemployment just disappear.

 

The combination of Tax Credits, QE and ZIRP really are the magical cure all for ALL economic woes.

Edited by nome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I got made redundant earlier this month.  Nothing devastating - just a part time job at the local chandlery ( boat hardware shop) I'd had for a few months which helped supplement my self employed earnings ( options trading ).

It was the standard story. A small, specialist retailer with plenty of goodwill, closing down as they're unable to compete with the internet on prices. Boaty-stuff inflation been around 10-15% over the last year, and customers have become more price sensitive and willing to shop around.  

On the job creation front, I'm now working on a web project I've had on the back-boiler for a while, but a few £1000's worth of work I previously thought I'd have to pay a contractor to do will no longer be required as AWS have automated away a lot of the technical, system and database admin stuff I thought I'd need.

Good for me, but played out across thousands of startups and established businesses, it's another reason to be able to shrink the team and get more done with less people.

Edited by ManVsRecession

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

Legal and general up to 500 jobs going in Hove, Sussex

Every County, Unitary and District & Borough council cutting jobs a few at a time, or carrying unfilled vacancies. Schools too reducing support staff posts like specialist TAs. These don't make the news but add up to thousands.

See my comments on Reading, Se and the end of plenty of high paying low skilled finserv jobs in the South.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a thought, but given that growth in the UK economy is slowing rapidly and the US and rest of the EU are picking up speed, these redundancies couldn't all be related to something else could they?

I apologise in advance for talking the economy down / Project Fear / etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Futuroid said:

Just a thought, but given that growth in the UK economy is slowing rapidly and the US and rest of the EU are picking up speed, these redundancies couldn't all be related to something else could they?

I apologise in advance for talking the economy down / Project Fear / etc.

Well we're still in the EU so............

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Futuroid said:

Just a thought, but given that growth in the UK economy is slowing rapidly and the US and rest of the EU are picking up speed, these redundancies couldn't all be related to something else could they?

I apologise in advance for talking the economy down / Project Fear / etc.

You mean places where they've had their house price crash and don't run a benefits system anywhere near as ludicrously generous as ours?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, dpg50000 said:

You mean places where they've had their house price crash and don't run a benefits system anywhere near as ludicrously generous as ours?

Yes to house price crash, but our benefits system is only ludicrously generous to a precious few people. Landlords in the main.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42236328

You DO NOT want to be out of work in the US for any period of time, but other countries in Europe seem to offer far better benefits than the UK in that regard:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/15/which-best-countries-live-unemployed-disabled-benefits

How odd.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, taderuk said:

Well we're still in the EU so............

True, but nobody (including our own government) is really sure when or if we'll really be leaving.

Bad for business and consumer confidence.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, Futuroid said:

Yes to house price crash, but our benefits system is only ludicrously generous to a precious few people. Landlords in the main.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42236328

You DO NOT want to be out of work in the US for any period of time, but other countries in Europe seem to offer far better benefits than the UK in that regard:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/15/which-best-countries-live-unemployed-disabled-benefits

How odd.

 

Notice how most of the other countries have terms attached to their benefits, mainly that you have to have at least contributed something in beforehand......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.....it wouldn't be such a problem, in fact being made redundant could improve futures, change, even forced change can be beneficial.....the problem is the quality of the supply of jobs out there with which could move into....;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Futuroid said:

the US and rest of the EU are picking up speed

US economy is shot through and on borrowed time. Same as us. EU will collapse at some point.

None of the official figures coming out of the US can be believed in any event.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Kurt Barlow said:

1200 engineering jobs going at Transport for London.

Hilarious, given that the rail network is worse than ever before.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Errol said:

Hilarious, given that the rail network is worse than ever before.

Re: Transport for London jobs going I would say scarey rather than hilarious.  Many rail/train accidents are correlated to a lessening in infrastructure maintenance; the most important part of a rail system is the condition of the rails.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Futuroid said:

Yes to house price crash, but our benefits system is only ludicrously generous to a precious few people. Landlords in the main.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-42236328

You DO NOT want to be out of work in the US for any period of time, but other countries in Europe seem to offer far better benefits than the UK in that regard:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/apr/15/which-best-countries-live-unemployed-disabled-benefits

How odd.

 

The US in general (I believe it varies on a State by State basis) has a far better benefits system for someone who's actually paid into the system than the UK. If I lost my job tomorrow I'd get JSA for 6 months. In the US I'd get 50%+ of my old salary for two years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

.... Schools too reducing support staff posts like specialist TAs. These don't make the news but add up to thousands.

My wife just stared as a pupil support worker part time. Needs to self fund a 2 year college course and pay for childcare. Working 2 days a week and expecting to clear £500 a year after those costs. Once the course is done and my daughters in school it'll make more sense financially....

Just been told the council need to cut funding and in 2 years pupil support workers are unlikely to exist...which will be just as shes finished the college course she needs to 'guarantee' work as a PSW.

No tax credits for us as i earn too much. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am being made redundant on 22/12. Has been a long drawn out affair,  basically a phased office closure which kicked off over 2 years back.  

A bit more of a shocker was my wife getting her at risk of redundancy notice out of the blue three weeks back.  She will be off at the end of January.

Neither instance is ultimately due to a lack of business or work, but relate more to structural and location changes.

Being brutally honest the lump sums that come with redundancy are difficult to match by the gradual grind of regular savings. 

Anyway, this is not a sob story,  this stuff happens but it certainly can be confusing and upsetting.

We've chosen to take some time off, but I note  the phone hasn't exactly been ringing off the hook.  I'm 46 and feel pretty worn out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

Legal and general up to 500 jobs going in Hove, Sussex

This is due to the sale of part of the business to Swiss Re and L&G are expanding in other areas, so I'm not sure there will be a net loss of jobs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Castlevania said:

Personally I'm hoping for a redundancy cheque! Tax Free money.

FTFY.

I used my redundancy cheque back in 2006 to retrain in a completely new industry and role, and it has been more beneficial than I ever thought it would be. I just happened into a role which has a major shortfall, because China. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 406 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.