House Price Crash Forum
dpg50000

GE getting rid of 1100 in the UK

500 more scumbags gonna be queuing up for housing benefit = NOW is the time to buy up a job lot of rentals in Stafford/rugby. Then keep em empty until the government come begging to you to house these workshy cretins.

that's when we talk rent rises, until then, no dice.

15 minutes ago, dpg50000 said:

As per the title - https://news.sky.com/story/general-electric-plans-to-cut-1100-uk-jobs-11160069

500 each in Stafford and Rugby, plus another 100 elsewhere in the UK. Six percent of their UK workforce gone at a stroke.

They are probably shifting those jobs into some other technology, capability, segment, or what have you, conveniently located in much lower cost countries within or outwith the EU.  The not so slow death of the UK continues apace. 

43 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

They are probably shifting those jobs into some other technology, capability, segment, or what have you, conveniently located in much lower cost countries within or outwith the EU.  The not so slow death of the UK continues apace. 

GE are cutting just as many, if not more, jobs in Germany and France. This is not a UK issue and is just GE cutting jobs across the world.

I think there's an activist investor on their board pushing for a lot of those changes. Cost cutting with short term shareholder return is the name of the game. 

Siemens are doing a similar thing in Germany firing people in their power generation unit, because technology has moved on.

Unfortunately most of the new green generation equipment isn't made in western Europe

Not quite sure why the greens are so popular in German, green tech is going to bring caus to their industry.

1 hour ago, zugzwang said:

Why bother to employ people when you can generate a 10% daily return on your capital with Bitcoin?

Next time they ask for employee suggestions for improved profitability at work I am going to say... all our datacenters worldwide  and every employee workstation to be wiped and bitcoin miner installed on anything with a cpu. Customers will sue us but so what. Profit!

Bit mixed on this. 

GE the inustrial bit is a fine engineering operation that generated well paying jobs and delivered complex products.

GE the management operation is the source of all fuxxed up dumb MBA tossers going. Everything i hate about companies come from GE -

Rank and rate (doesnt work unless you employ 1000s of people with no reference to their skills,

Be 1 or 2 or quit - bs, cover your costs and theres a chance youll stumble on new business or better production.

All this steaming pile of sh1te coming from jack welsch, all these suck ar5e mbas sucking it up and copying, blowing up their vompanies following it blind.

All the while welsch was turning GE finance into his get out numbers black bix, so hecould beat earnings, taking on more opaque financial junk, til it nearlt blew up in 2008.

Then his minime, immeltd, doing welsh dumb stuff. Then realising the comoany has gone niwhere for the last 10 years, so he starts ckaiming the GE will be the biggest software company - just because apple are the worlds biggest profitable company and thats what they think apple does - we can just train up some people in 'coding' billion$$$$ What could go etong??

American moron mba in action.

20 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Bit mixed on this. 

GE the inustrial bit is a fine engineering operation that generated well paying jobs and delivered complex products.

GE the management operation is the source of all fuxxed up dumb MBA tossers going. Everything i hate about companies come from GE -

Rank and rate (doesnt work unless you employ 1000s of people with no reference to their skills,

Be 1 or 2 or quit - bs, cover your costs and theres a chance youll stumble on new business or better production.

All this steaming pile of sh1te coming from jack welsch, all these suck ar5e mbas sucking it up and copying, blowing up their vompanies following it blind.

All the while welsch was turning GE finance into his get out numbers black bix, so hecould beat earnings, taking on more opaque financial junk, til it nearlt blew up in 2008.

Then his minime, immeltd, doing welsh dumb stuff. Then realising the comoany has gone niwhere for the last 10 years, so he starts ckaiming the GE will be the biggest software company - just because apple are the worlds biggest profitable company and thats what they think apple does - we can just train up some people in 'coding' billion$$$$ What could go etong??

I can't stand these MBA guy's, no a few jumped upteam leaders of 3 or 4 people at work that have done MBAs, know people who are basically administrators that have done MBAs, and now claim to have a strategic onsite!

Surely there is a worldwide surplus of people with MBAs?

7 minutes ago, reddog said:

I can't stand these MBA guy's, no a few jumped upteam leaders of 3 or 4 people at work that have done MBAs, know people who are basically administrators that have done MBAs, and now claim to have a strategic onsite!

Surely there is a worldwide surplus of people with MBAs?

The original mba was a small number of mid career managers who took a year out and networked with similar. They were a good idea. Give an exec at a large corp some time off to compare notes with similar, prepare for his last 20 years.

Dont know what went wrong over the last 30-40 years but i know some work dodging social worker claiming to do an mba distance learning from an ex poly. Ive asked him what the business bit is.

9 minutes ago, spyguy said:

The original mba was a small number of mid career managers who took a year out and networked with similar. They were a good idea. Give an exec at a large corp some time off to compare notes with similar, prepare for his last 20 years.

Dont know what went wrong over the last 30-40 years but i know some work dodging social worker claiming to do an mba distance learning from an ex poly. Ive asked him what the business bit is.

I got an mba with the OU in the 90’s it was really good - helped me in my own business and gave me confidence when dealing with corporate suits, some of our lecturers were amazing - virtually all  working and giving a bit back HR directors, FD’s etc

most modern day mba’s aren’t a patch on the quality of modules or breadth of students. I was with entrepreneurs, Wing Commanders ( lots of forces senior officers )  Senior management  from pharma and all sorts of industries 

edit: the OU could of been our other shining achievement next to the NHS but dismissed by governments of all flavours and starved of funds

Edited by Greg Bowman

I worked for years at a UK site... proper engineering, making actual good high tech stuff.

Site leaders would come and go, parachuted in from the US, they'd make a big song and dance about their health and safety drive and whatever BS corporate values initiative was in at that time, then leave under a cloud a couple of years later to be replaced with a clone.

1 hour ago, spyguy said:

Bit mixed on this. 

GE Healthcare is their most profitable segment they own, and props up a lot of other business units. Hence no, or limited job cuts in Amersham. Flannery is the ex-boss of Healthcare Division. I have insider knowledge.

11 hours ago, Errol said:

GE are cutting just as many, if not more, jobs in Germany and France. This is not a UK issue and is just GE cutting jobs across the world.

That doesn't surprise me.  Germany (and indeed any developed, high wage country) is not immune to jobs being shifted to lower wage countries.  AFAIAA many jobs in Germany have shifted to Poland, Romania etc.