HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Damn - mid-summer it genuinely looked like this index would be at 0 by the end of the year - and that might prove the landmark that would catch the general public's attention and start a bit of panic. The last few months just seem crazy - but this is now feeling like its going to be a long-drawn out affair - prices not rising enough to seem crazy but still rising higher than wages - it's a boiling the frog scenario now.

The crunch will come when the BTL brigade have to start doing their first post-S24 tax retuns - which will be January 2019 - and as that will only be a quarter of the changes it might not really sink home until the 2020 deadline.

This is why I hate property bubbles - its not like shares or Bitcoin - where it's your choice if you get involved - everyone directly or indirectly gets drawn into a housing bubble.

HOLA4415
HOLA4416
1 hour ago, lostinessex said:

Damn - mid-summer it genuinely looked like this index would be at 0 by the end of the year - and that might prove the landmark that would catch the general public's attention and start a bit of panic. The last few months just seem crazy - but this is now feeling like its going to be a long-drawn out affair - prices not rising enough to seem crazy but still rising higher than wages - it's a boiling the frog scenario now.

The crunch will come when the BTL brigade have to start doing their first post-S24 tax retuns - which will be January 2019 - and as that will only be a quarter of the changes it might not really sink home until the 2020 deadline.

This is why I hate property bubbles - its not like shares or Bitcoin - where it's your choice if you get involved - everyone directly or indirectly gets drawn into a housing bubble.

Very good point. It's like a virus

HOLA4417

House up +0.5% in pound sterling but how does it look in bitcoin? Every day I get a new room, bigger garage or extra acre of land with my bitcoin!

Selfish of me I know. But, I still refuse to buy. My mum and friends don’t get it but I keep trying to explain if nobody buys then prices will drop for everyone and we’ll all be better off. I can afford now but I’m not buying into this joke of a market.

HOLA4418
10 minutes ago, scb said:

House up +0.5% in pound sterling but how does it look in bitcoin? Every day I get a new room, bigger garage or extra acre of land with my bitcoin!

Selfish of me I know. But, I still refuse to buy. My mum and friends don’t get it but I keep trying to explain if nobody buys then prices will drop for everyone and we’ll all be better off. I can afford now but I’m not buying into this joke of a market.

have you sold any bitcoin yet?

HOLA4419
HOLA4420
2 hours ago, lostinessex said:

Nail on the head. Speculation should be confined to areas where it can't do much harm.

HOLA4421
28 minutes ago, Sperm Donor said:

What a joke. It seems a nuclear explosion could go off in this country and house prices would still nudge up. I'm seeing price drops all over the south east. Someone is lying.

yeah, the #vileBBC. its what they do

its all they do :)

HOLA4422
2 hours ago, dougless said:

How is that possible with the way the economy is going down the toilet?

The stock market in Zimbabwe went way up even as the economy collapsed. Same story in Venezuela. I'm sure house prices in Zimbabwe were sky high too.

HOLA4423
HOLA4424
HOLA4425

From the Guardian:

Jonathan Samuels, CEO of the property lender, Octane Capital, says the Bank of England’s (well-flagged) interest rate hike last month hasn’t spooked buyers:

“The improved performance of the market in the latest quarter suggests the first interest rate rise in a decade may have ignited demand.

“On this evidence, the November rate rise has brought prospective buyers out into the open rather than sent them underground.

“Many buyers may have come to the conclusion that it is better to move now while mortgage rates are still low than further down the line when they could be less competitive.

I wonder if he was right? Was the point of the miniscule IR rise to scare people out of the woodwork with the threat of future rises?