House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

Bargain Loving Brits in Blackpool

1 hour ago, nothernsoul said:

Blackpool is depressing. You notice how run down the place is and people with obvious drug problems on the streets. I also believe it has highest level of non working disabled people in the uk. It is too far from manchester to make it an attractive daily commute.

Competition between B&Bs is toughest in the uk and based almost entirely on price. Ive seen places advertised for twenty five quid a night including breakfast, not much profit there. 

It's cheap, although if you ask for 3 eggs you get beaten up.

10 hours ago, Dražen Petrović said:

Do you really think asylum seekers are trouble makers or just joking ??

Many are just taking the piss as economic migrants who bring no benefit to this country.

So yes, to me they are trouble makers.

On ‎12‎/‎5‎/‎2017 at 8:13 AM, Venger said:

It's housed them for 24 years Count, and provided them with a business/income.  That's alright to me.

The Times also touched on a bit about Blackpool in recent article about some seaside towns.

And the FT had a really indepth article a couple of weeks ago.

A bit of it gave pause for thought, but some of the negatives seem overdone.  Maybe because there is hope it will pull through.  In fact article says people are trying new things and innovating.  Not going to re-read article, but think there was a part with some concern that capable young people leave Blackpool, never to return.  CoVIs has really done alright for himself, having been raised in Blackpool - although he sometimes goes back to visit family iirc.

Also some of it alarmist... falling life expectancy? 

...Boys born in Blackpool can expect to live to just 74 years - the second lowest in the UK, and up by just 2.7 years since 1993.

The prices in Lytham St Annes always shock me (so high).

I didn't see the programme but do know that running a boarding house in Blackpool has been a pretty thankless task for many years now. Most owners are working +80 hours a week for far less than the minimum wage. 

I did see the FT article and it was a pretty good description of much of the town. However, it did ignore that away from the seafront there are pleasant areas with extremely affordable high quality houses. Most of the people who live outside the large very run down central area (mostly council/BTL properties) rarely visit this part of the town.

Lots of people who grew up in Blackpool have done ok for themselves, it used to have several very good schools, but most had to leave to achieve that. At least 75% of my sixth form left the town, the few I still see who stayed work in the public sector or property finance sector.  

Prices in Lytham are very high but it is a rather like living in one of the better London villages. St Anne's was once the equal of Lytham but has been slowly declining for some time now.      

12 hours ago, ExiledMatty said:

Many are just taking the piss as economic migrants who bring no benefit to this country.

So yes, to me they are trouble makers.

There aren't many asylum seekers in Blackpool.

The council did try to import them around 15 years ago (part of their brilliant plan to fill up the empty boarding houses with unwanted people from just about anywhere, providing someone else was paying for them) but had no connections with the town and suffered racist abuse so left pretty sharpish.   

23 minutes ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I didn't see the programme but do know that running a boarding house in Blackpool has been a pretty thankless task for many years now. Most owners are working +80 hours a week for far less than the minimum wage. 

I did see the FT article and it was a pretty good description of much of the town. However, it did ignore that away from the seafront there are pleasant areas with extremely affordable high quality houses. Most of the people who live outside the large very run down central area (mostly council/BTL properties) rarely visit this part of the town.

Lots of people who grew up in Blackpool have done ok for themselves, it used to have several very good schools, but most had to leave to achieve that. At least 75% of my sixth form left the town, the few I still see who stayed work in the public sector or property finance sector.  

Prices in Lytham are very high but it is a rather like living in one of the better London villages. St Anne's was once the equal of Lytham but has been slowly declining for some time now.  

Agreed.  I also watched Ruth-Someone's 'Hotel Inspector' when two guys bought a B&B and, at her suggestion, named it 'The Blackpool'... back in 2009.  However it's still a living, and roof over their heads.   Anyone trying to run a hotel or B&B anywhere really takes on work... you have to manage so much.

Family day out enjoyed in Blackpool in October.  Still from a video below.  Fun fun day out.   We usually go to that chip shop...The Cottage... just away off Whitegate Drive, before motorway... but didn't on this occasion.  We also used to go further down to Fleetwood and stoney beach to throw stones into the Irish Sea.

Just before visit I did read about a story about how authorities had taken over/action against one donkey business from some concerns.  

Sept 2017 http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-lancashire-41447203

There's rules in place and has been for years about Donkey Rides... can't recall them all, but think one is under 16s only.

They must work only between 10am and 7pm, have a full hour for lunch and get every Friday off. And they must pass an annual 'Donkey MoT' by vets to ensure they are fit to work.

SKJS31N.jpg

When I stayed with family in a terrace in a not-great-part-of-Blackpool many years ago - someone knocked on the door.  It was a gypsy elderly woman wanting money in exchange for some flowery thing.  I had already been warned they come to doors, and they 'chant a curse on you' if you refuse to give them money for their...  lavender (?).. I've temporarily forgotten what the flowery thing was.. maybe lavender or something else.  We also had car-radio stolen that evening from a trip to the front.  Anyway she could see I was just a child and just walked away after I told her no one home.  Yet other great times as well in Blackpool.

Anyway no part of Blackpool really concerns me (some tales about South Shore and some other parts I would avoid).  It's not as dangerous as many other places on earth, or in UK.   And there are great people too in Blackpool - people who want best for their families, with work ethic and who put in.

Edited by Venger

41 minutes ago, Venger said:

Anyway no part of Blackpool really concerns me (some tales about South Shore and some other parts I would avoid).  It's not as dangerous as many other places on earth, or in UK.   And there are great people too in Blackpool - people who want best for their families, with work ethic and who put in.

I agree, despite many years of walking the 2 miles across town  from my parents place to the Layton Rakes Weatherspoon (usual meeting place for catching up with friends) I have never had, or even seen, any trouble. While you can probably find a fight in Blackpool if you are looking for one for those who aren't it's a pretty safe place.   

10 hours ago, Confusion of VIs said:

I agree, despite many years of walking the 2 miles across town  from my parents place to the Layton Rakes Weatherspoon (usual meeting place for catching up with friends) I have never had, or even seen, any trouble. While you can probably find a fight in Blackpool if you are looking for one for those who aren't it's a pretty safe place.  

I'm less at ease in parts of central Manchester - seen a few instances of shoplifters pegging it, pursued by security guards, in the past year. 

Horrific video of young man being attacked on Princess Street earlier this year, broad daylight + read too many such stories in other parts on Manchester - makes me sad and ill at ease.

Although I don't know what parts of Blackpool are like at night.  The front was always a bit lively here and there - and also seen it kick off on a tram at night, 5 young men vs 1 older guy - many years ago.

Edited by Venger