House Price Crash Forum
Fairyland

IOTA - a sleeping giant

CNBC: A little-known digital currency surges 70% after teaming up with firms like Microsoft

A digital currency has added more than $3 billion to its market value after the firm behind it said it was teaming up with a number of big tech firms, including Microsoft and Samsung on a "data marketplace."

Called IOTA, the cryptocurrency saw a spike on Sunday evening, rallying just over 70 percent in the last 24 hours, according to data from industry website Coinmarketcap. Its price soared to an all-time high of $2.54 at 8:29 a.m. London time, up 71 percent from Sunday's price of $1.48. It is now the fifth-largest digital asset by market capitalization, dethroning altcoin Dash.

Has anyone invested in this? What are you thoughts?

Long term who knows? But over the next few months I think cryptocurrency will keep going up until regulation or some other factor turns sentiment. 

Like you I’m interested in others opinions. I’m absolutely sick about Bitcoin as I opened an account and nearly bought some time ago. 

11 minutes ago, Fairyland said:

CNBC: A little-known digital currency surges 70% after teaming up with firms like Microsoft

Has anyone invested in this? What are you thoughts?

yes i got some. rumours were going round for a couple of weeks that this was on the cards.

bought in around $1.40 so not too shabby!

more to come from these guys IMHO.

when they get llisted on coinbase+kraken this will go nuts.

part of the reason the price was quite low and only recently broke out is they were't listed on the main exchanges,and bitfinex was off limits to US investors wanting to place fiat deposits.

bitrex have now agreed to list them,so it opens up the american market to them...hence to 50% gain you see today.

3 minutes ago, sPinwheel said:

Is this a different colour tulip?

we will see.

I read the whitepaper and FWIW i think the concept has legs.machine to machine applications could be huge.

anything from healthcare apps to variable congestion/parking charges in towns...M2M would allow you to park up in london somewhere and not have to bother about worrying about staying an extra minute in a controlled zone, you get billed automatically via a black box in the car for the duration/zone you are in.

could potentially destroy the idea of congestion charge.

Just now, 2rocketman said:

Any recommendation on which platforms to use? 

for IOTA purchase.

1)download light wallet from github

2)for exchange trades(for now), use either coinbase or binance to buy etherium.transfer ETH to either binance or bitfinex and trade the pair ETH/IOT

12 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Cryotocurrency?

Buy buy buy.

They arent making any more prime numbers.

The problem with that quote is that attached to a little knowledge, it’s a dangerous thing

personally, I still think blockchain is a solution waiting for a problem 

A group of well-connected vulventure capitalists are soon to launch Funn3coin. It will be massive. I am under strict NDA but don't worry I will let you guys in on the ground floor. Cash out of your other stuff now and be ready.

8 minutes ago, oracle said:

for IOTA purchase.

1)download light wallet from github

2)for exchange trades(for now), use either coinbase or binance to buy etherium.transfer ETH to either binance or bitfinex and trade the pair ETH/IOT

This is what makes me sceptical about crypto currencies, at least in their current form. The whole system just seems so complex and with so many different coin types out there....

I just fail to see how this is going to become mainstream - I imagine my parents trying to buy crypto, or my nan trying to deal with it and I just think no chance.

When will the likes of tesco’s allow me to buy my groceries with crypto? And if they do, which of the plethora of coins will they decide to accept? How will they price their goods in crypto given the volatility? 

The more I read up on it, the more puzzling the whole crypto economy gets. 

6 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

A group of well-connected vulventure capitalists are soon to launch Funn3coin. It will be massive. I am under strict NDA but don't worry I will let you guys in on the ground floor. Cash out of your other stuff now and be ready.

You should definitely start another thread about that.

4 minutes ago, Houdini said:

The problem with that quote is that attached to a little knowledge, it’s a dangerous thing

personally, I still think blockchain is a solution waiting for a problem 

It was a joke a la BTL!

Block chain is useful - a distributed ledger (paxos) with securely signed  entries (sha2).

Crypto currenty depends. You could set it up and hold abasket of currency, bonds and commodities. Except the US would do a nut over the crime/secrecy thing.

4 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

what's the concept?

what connections do these guys have?

one of the reasons i am fairly confident with IOTA is these guys were doing blockchain code back in 2010,and they move in the right circles,they already have the backing of some very heavy hitters with a lot of money.

what has this funn3coing got to prove itself?

Umm, I thought the IOTA wallet was buggy and exposes itself completely after the first withdrawal? Hence its to be avoided.

You can also transfer Bitcoin to Bitfinex and trade there.

5 minutes ago, SOLZHENITSYN said:

This is what makes me sceptical about crypto currencies, at least in their current form. The whole system just seems so complex and with so many different coin types out there....

I just fail to see how this is going to become mainstream - I imagine my parents trying to buy crypto, or my nan trying to deal with it and I just think no chance.

When will the likes of tesco’s allow me to buy my groceries with crypto? And if they do, which of the plethora of coins will they decide to accept? How will they price their goods in crypto given the volatility? 

The more I read up on it, the more puzzling the whole crypto economy gets. 

at the moment,yes i agree.it is a bit too complex for joe public,which is actually a good thing.

if it was as easy as going online to broker x(lets say td waterhouse for simplicity), with your credit card details and buying £10k worth of dotcoms,the price would be many orders of magnitude higher than it is now.

that stage will come as it gets more widely adopted.I did say I think this is due a correction,but I don't think were at the endgame just yet.once the transaction process is simplified we'll get the "mania"phase/.

6 minutes ago, spyguy said:

It was a joke a la BTL!

Block chain is useful - a distributed ledger (paxos) with securely signed  entries (sha2).

Crypto currenty depends. You could set it up and hold abasket of currency, bonds and commodities. Except the US would do a nut over the crime/secrecy thing.

Sorry I know enough about IOT and blockchain to know any idea that combines the 2 is utterly insane. Mind you the Microsoft expert’s reputation proceeds him 

15 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Ok so here's how it works. Obviously it's a crowded market so it's essential to pre-seed via social media. Yes I know "neurolinguistics"but don't dismiss it so easily, it's proved itself as a valuable marketing tool too many times to be disregarded. We'll be targetting the very-smart-but-wary players who saw the potential of Bitcoin but (having been burnt before with Beenz and Flooz scams) stayed well out of the way.  These are smart investors who 100% SHOULD have got onto the Bitcoin escalator but were just too cautious. With Funn3coin it will their opportunity (not going to call it a second-chance although that's what it is) to buy in at an appropriate stage of the yield curve. "Not financial advice" all that usual stuff sorry but if you wished you bought Bitcoin at 3 dollars (yes we all remember that!) you'll soon have a brief window with Funn3coin.