House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

Pylons and motorways

We all know the issues with the housing bubble/prices/debt, but it's struck me recently I see these new housing estates springing up under pylons and next to LARGE roads.

i.e. the cheapest land possible that 30 years ago no one would have paid to live on.

Now, people paying 10x income to live under massive pylons and next to polluting major trunk roads.

These houses should be worth very little but still people pay fortunes for them.

A friend of mine send me this pics today...he says they dont even do the pylons justice, foreboding was the word he used, he had a terrible sense of foreboding looking at them.

What a country the bankers and westminster are creating.

DQNJT2lXkAAAS6s.jpg

DQNJiGHWAAApVvc.jpg

34 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

A friend of mine send me this pics today...he says they dont even do the pylons justice, foreboding was the word he used, he had a terrible sense of foreboding looking at them.

Maybe this will cheer him up....

giphy.gif

Has been quite a few links made between living near pylons and various types of cancer over the years.

Never been proven either way, but no smoke without fire and all that...

20 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

Has been quite a few links made between living near pylons and various types of cancer over the years.

Quite.

I made this observation over 20 years ago that there was a tendency to put housing for poor people near major roads, roundabouts etc.  As for building near or under high tension cables, this seems unwise at best.

39 minutes ago, Craig_ said:

You've also got what's under your feet to be concerned about too, many developments built on or near former landfill sites, petrol stations, chemical factories, lead from old mines etc, potentially hazardous waste seeping into groundwater. 

Edited by Barnsey

1 minute ago, LivingWithTheInlaws said:

High voltage lines can ionise molecules. There's some more discussion points here on the health effects.. http://www.emfs.info/health/ions/ions-commentary/

Yep, cancer clusters have been registered in houses/estates near or under power lines and relay stations.

Nobody in their right mind would buy one of those houses.

Edited by Errol

8 minutes ago, LivingWithTheInlaws said:

High voltage lines can ionise molecules. There's some more discussion points here on the health effects.. http://www.emfs.info/health/ions/ions-commentary/

So if you live under or near power lines AND a busy road, those energised pollutant particulates you breathe in will stick to your insides to a far greater extent. 

Edited by Barnsey

54 minutes ago, LivingWithTheInlaws said:

Buy a fluorescent tube and go stand under one and tell me what happens....

Saved you the trouble

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

As a teenager I worked on a farm. Two of us carried a couple of irrigation pipes on our shoulders which was fine until we walked under power lines when we completed the loop at each end of the metal pipes. That hurt!

In Sawtry they are building houses on a field that floods and is so close to the A1 that it was designated as category C, unfit for habitation due to noise but possibly could be used for industry. The builders told us it was OK as they were making a huge bund of soil to block the sound and besides all the antisocial housing was being put next to the motorway to help block the noise from the more 'desirable houses'. The history of the field is that over hundreds of years attempts have been made to improve drainage, all have failed due to the brick clay underlying it and the lack of fall for ditches to carry the water away. The builders are making two ponds and the drives will be made 'permeable'.  problem solved!

11 minutes ago, Travisher said:

As a teenager I worked on a farm. Two of us carried a couple of irrigation pipes on our shoulders which was fine until we walked under power lines when we completed the loop at each end of the metal pipes. That hurt!

In Sawtry they are building houses on a field that floods and is so close to the A1 that it was designated as category C, unfit for habitation due to noise but possibly could be used for industry. The builders told us it was OK as they were making a huge bund of soil to block the sound and besides all the antisocial housing was being put next to the motorway to help block the noise from the more 'desirable houses'. The history of the field is that over hundreds of years attempts have been made to improve drainage, all have failed due to the brick clay underlying it and the lack of fall for ditches to carry the water away. The builders are making two ponds and the drives will be made 'permeable'.  problem solved!

...and they claim HTB to help fund the sales.....

7 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Did it ever sell ?

:lol: 

Yep. To a kite flying enthusiast.

Anyway I grew up near a pylon and it never did any harm to me. Electromagnetic radiation is harmless. My phone gives off more just sitting here.

Construction started about 15 years ago on Jennets Park housing estate in Bracknell. Lovely fields and forests with deer and bluebells but hey people have to live somewhere.The only problem - a truly massive 1970s 10-storey office tower dominating the landscape. No problem because the overall plan was to knock it down, but this part was derailed when said office tower was found to be full of asbestos. Turns out if the original builders could use asbestos in any part of the building then they did use asbestos. Absolutely riddled with it. So no demolition then. 

But instead of saying OK looks like we have to build somewhere else they just did it anyway! Could not have designed a better surveillance platform. Wonder how the residents feel about paying upwards of half a million so that bored IT scrotes can have a fantastic view into their gardens and bedrooms.

On the bright side, it's better than electro-cancer from the pylons.

4 hours ago, Barnsey said:

You've also got what's under your feet to be concerned about too, many developments built on or near former landfill sites, petrol stations, chemical factories, lead from old mines etc, potentially hazardous waste seeping into groundwater. 

Helps with the pension crisis I suppose.

I have huge pylons about quarter mile from me, when it rains or drizzles they make a grim buzzing noise and when you walk underneath with your umbrella you get a shock. Nasty.

But then only the plebs have to live near to them so who cares. The architect, developer , town planner will be comfortably housed elsewhere.

6 hours ago, Barnsey said:

OT: A chap my old work bought a new build in the mid-1990's and then found the builders had filled an old mine in his back garden with concrete.  They wouldn't admit to it and It went to court and he recons the judge was bent because it went nowhere and in the end he was left out of the early house price inflation.  He was right bitter about how it ment no one in his new road including him could sell and how it stopped him buying a nice place in swindon (he said it not me) later on because he couldnt afford to move.

BTW:  Can't have all the electric cars from Futurama without at least a plug from one of those pylons.  Not that I'd want to live next to a 300kV wire.

21 hours ago, sPinwheel said:

Yep. To a kite flying enthusiast.

Anyway I grew up near a pylon and it never did any harm to me. Electromagnetic radiation is harmless. My phone gives off more just sitting here.

I've heard aliens are scared of pylons, so it's swings and roundabouts really...