House Price Crash Forum
AdamoMucci

Guardian - Tony Blair backs Labour’s ‘land value tax’ to tackle housing crisis

Tony Blair backs Labour’s ‘land value tax’ to tackle housing crisis

Well well. I have not looked into "Labour's land value tax" much but know it is not a full land value tax that many here believe to be the best and fairest system but a replacement of council tax and business rates with a lvt. I suspect it would just be an excuse for Labour to get more of OPM to spend without an equivalent reduction of the money taken in at the lower income tax bands. But if it was purely a shift in where the tax comes from it would surely be a start.

Not sure what to make of Tony Blair supporting it. I cannot help not trusting him and do wonder what his game is. I wonder if he will get out of property with his millions if he thinks there is any chance of this actually getting implemented. Or whether there is some dodgy fine print in his proposals.

Fascinating that someone as "mainstream" and "centre" as him is even saying the words "land value tax" though. What a massive name to say those words positively even if his name is irredeemably tarnished. Its significant IMO and shows there is a slow shift going on.

Blair acknowledges that such a programme is impossible to discuss “without contemplating yet again the extraordinary and damaging distractive effect of Brexit”. He said it was part of a policy platform designed “to show those who voted for Brexit there is a different and better way of meeting their genuine concerns”.

No idea WTF this means. Regarding the last sentence, he should have thought about that before he routinely allowed his own party to brand a large part of his core support as racist while accumulating house after multi-million pound house. Now he regrets it does he? Is he going to give back his mad gainz I wonder? I wonder if he acknowledges his own responsibility for the Brexit vote.

Meh. I really find it hard to trust him. There is something a little weak and suspicious about bringing Brexit into it. Housing is relevant to Brexit, but as part of a much bigger picture. I wish he would not poison LVT with his EU failure.

Edited by AdamoMucci

Probably wants to steer LVT into irrelevance or turn it into a toxic phrase.  

I would like to see some justice come Blair's way.  Legally.  Permanently.

He cannot be trusted in my opinion.

I would like to see 3 things before I die.

Land value tax replacing taxes on brain and brawn (income and VAT)

Citizens income as a safety net allowing people to reskill flexibly and avoid benefit traps

Representative democracy replaced by Democracy.  Draw lots for key roles. Everyone gets a vote.  Easy to bribe 400 chancers in the Commons.  

1 hour ago, NorthamptonBear said:

Land value tax replacing taxes on brain and brawn (income and VAT)

Citizens income as a safety net allowing people to reskill flexibly and avoid benefit traps

Representative democracy replaced by Democracy.  Draw lots for key roles. Everyone gets a vote.  Easy to bribe 400 chancers in the Commons.  

in the interests of "equality", a word that nulabour like so much.The solution is simple vis a vis parliament.

a quota system on MP's past/present employment sectors., so that way the lawyers,bankers,trade unionists do not have a stranlgehold over the system.

they should maybe have 5% share each.

the other 85% to be divvied up by,medical,engineering,industrial,military,retail/commercial,agricultural/farming, etc etc.

come to think of it, if each region of the country voted for the MP's with the profession the location is normally associated with, we'd probably be doing pretty well

ie east anglia :split between farmers and IT,london-finance, birmingham-heavy industry etc....but they always elect bankers or lawyers!!!

I think he has figured out the more he says something is GOOD, the more the public think the opsite must apply if this T**T is saying it!  

Blair says Brexit BAD = GOOD

2 hours ago, NorthamptonBear said:

Probably wants to steer LVT into irrelevance or turn it into a toxic phrase.  

Yeah, adopt it so you can turn it into something else. 

He was one of the most powerful PMs ever. If he really thought it was a good idea he'd have done it. 

Struggling to find anything from labour about how they would implement it. Makes me suspicious. I've seen proposals for land tax where renters would pay it, so forgive my skepticism.

Blair has set up a foundation specifically to try to reverse Brexit. Everything he says now should be seen in this light. Today he's going on about how Brexit will break the Irosh peace agreement. And the LVT thing is just him shoehorning Brexit into something where it isn't particularly relevant.

Of course as someone has mentioned he is completely toxic now and most people's instincts will be to distrust whatever he says. If he wants to do the best by the causes he cares for he really should just shut up and bung them some money from the millions he made cosying up to dictators.

2 hours ago, Freezer? Best place for it said:

Having his name "attached" is sure to kill it.

I disagree; whatever you might think of him, to many he embodies a centrist position that many voters are comfortable with, and so his endorsement helps bring the concept of LVT into the mainstream.

2 hours ago, oracle said:

in the interests of "equality", a word that nulabour like so much.The solution is simple vis a vis parliament.

a quota system on MP's past/present employment sectors., so that way the lawyers,bankers,trade unionists do not have a stranlgehold over the system.

they should maybe have 5% share each.

the other 85% to be divvied up by,medical,engineering,industrial,military,retail/commercial,agricultural/farming, etc etc.

come to think of it, if each region of the country voted for the MP's with the profession the location is normally associated with, we'd probably be doing pretty well

ie east anglia :split between farmers and IT,london-finance, birmingham-heavy industry etc....but they always elect bankers or lawyers!!!

If people don't want lawyers, bankers and trade unionists as their MP they don;t have to vote for them.

1 hour ago, Parkwell said:

Struggling to find anything from labour about how they would implement it. Makes me suspicious. I've seen proposals for land tax where renters would pay it, so forgive my skepticism.

In the manifesto they said they would look into it - no firm proposals as yet.

10 minutes ago, billy budd said:

If people don't want lawyers, bankers and trade unionists as their MP they don;t have to vote for them.

Under first past the post most people have very little choice, and if you cast a non-mainstream vote you might as well tear it up yourself. I've voted in general elections where there were 3 candidates in my constituency: Con, Lab and LD. What choice is that?

11 hours ago, AdamoMucci said:

No idea WTF this means

Don't worry, all Guardian articles are obliged to contain an anti brexit comment regardless of whether it makes sense!

1 hour ago, fru-gal said:

Lol. The architect of the housing crisis is now worried about the very problem he caused. All roads lead back to Blair.

I hope he also appreciates the irony that he largely caused Brexit, but I doubt he is that self aware.

1 hour ago, Fence said:

Don't worry, all Guardian articles are obliged to contain an anti brexit comment regardless of whether it makes sense!

There are a few like that. Sky News website is awful for it. I am sure they have jobbers and interns writing that thing.

45 minutes ago, Parkwell said:

I hope he also appreciates the irony that he largely caused Brexit, but I doubt he is that self aware.

After reading that irrelevant Brexit paragraph I wondered that. But I honestly cannot help thinking you are right. I really cannot picture him actually admitting even to himself that he had anything to do with Brexit. I wonder if he even acknowledges that NuLabour neglected core Labour voters.

Just as a broken clock will still tell the correct time twice a day so too can an idiot be expected to occassionally utter something that appeals/makes sense.

5 hours ago, RentingForever said:

Blair has set up a foundation specifically to try to reverse Brexit. Everything he says now should be seen in this light. Today he's going on about how Brexit will break the Irosh peace agreement. And the LVT thing is just him shoehorning Brexit into something where it isn't particularly relevant.

Of course as someone has mentioned he is completely toxic now and most people's instincts will be to distrust whatever he says. If he wants to do the best by the causes he cares for he really should just shut up and bung them some money from the millions he made cosying up to dictators.

I agree, I would be embarrassed to have Tony opening his mouth if I was for remaining in the EU.

Edited by Take Me Back To London!

16 hours ago, AdamoMucci said:

Well well. I have not looked into "Labour's land value tax" much but know it is not a full land value tax that many here believe to be the best and fairest system but a replacement of council tax and business rates with a lvt. I suspect it would just be an excuse for Labour to get more of OPM to spend without an equivalent reduction of the money taken in at the lower income tax bands. But if it was purely a shift in where the tax comes from it would surely be a start.

Not sure what to make of Tony Blair supporting it. I cannot help not trusting him and do wonder what his game is. I wonder if he will get out of property with his millions if he thinks there is any chance of this actually getting implemented. Or whether there is some dodgy fine print in his proposals.

Fascinating that someone as "mainstream" and "centre" as him is even saying the words "land value tax" though. What a massive name to say those words positively even if his name is irredeemably tarnished. Its significant IMO and shows there is a slow shift going on.

No idea WTF this means. Regarding the last sentence, he should have thought about that before he routinely allowed his own party to brand a large part of his core support as racist while accumulating house after multi-million pound house. Now he regrets it does he? Is he going to give back his mad gainz I wonder? I wonder if he acknowledges his own responsibility for the Brexit vote.

Meh. I really find it hard to trust him. There is something a little weak and suspicious about bringing Brexit into it. Housing is relevant to Brexit, but as part of a much bigger picture. I wish he would not poison LVT with his EU failure.

Last I heard; the Blair's had 30'odd properties with their children now managing part of the portfolio.  Now if he's really for a land value tax he either knows things are gonna change (think value) or he's lied again.

On 12/3/2017 at 2:53 AM, AdamoMucci said:

Regarding the last sentence, he should have thought about that before he routinely allowed his own party to brand a large part of his core support as racist while accumulating house after multi-million pound house. Now he regrets it does he? Is he going to give back his mad gainz I wonder? I wonder if he acknowledges his own responsibility for the Brexit vote.

Wonderful,  I think he did more to get Brexit than Farage did.

16 hours ago, giggler000 said:

Last I heard; the Blair's had 30'odd properties with their children now managing part of the portfolio.  Now if he's really for a land value tax he either knows things are gonna change (think value) or he's lied again.

What's the detail?

More win-side tilt.... perhaps in exchange for dropping S24 that his wife Cherie tried her best to get overturned with her attempt to get a Judicial Review?

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/oct/06/landlords-lose-legal-challenge-buy-to-let-tax-changes-cherie-booth

Cherie Blair steps into landlord mortgage tax relief battle as her legal firm claims Chancellor's move breaches human rights
Cherie Blair has taken on landlords' legal fight over mortgage tax relief
- say the move breaches human rights 

......The legal challenge is being made against the new policy on the basis that it breaches the European Convention on Human Rights.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/buytolet/article-3426295/Cherie-Blair-steps-landlord-mortgage-tax-relief-battle-legal-firm-claims-breaches-human-rights.html

Hu-man rights of the BTLers with multiple properties enjoy mad advantage tax reliefs for decades....

Blair as the righteous housing saviour?!

"So you still hold to that idea?" grunted Sigurd. "Crazy notion. Pass the salt." - Poul Anderson