House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

juvenal

Boris

Garden Bridge  £50m gone...now this £100m Stadium debacle.!!! 

When will they see through this clownish bungler and give him his P45?

21 minutes ago, juvenal said:

Garden Bridge  £50m gone...now this £100m Stadium debacle.!!! 

When will they see through this clownish bungler and give him his P45?

I don't like Johnson particularly, but it is a mistake to consider him a clown.  His personality is crafted to gain public opinion -- you might not like it, but I'd say it is generally successful.

Re.  failures in general:  They all make mistakes.  The thing I don't like is when leaders spend all their time moaning about the problems of the previous guy.  They should just get on with it and make a success of things; as it stands, I think Kahn would be pleased if he could put the shutters up on the place and say how dreadful it is, and that it was all somebody else's fault.

Re. the specific failures:  The stadium has now cost £700million.  This is a ridiculous sum, partially caused by stupid design right from the start, partly due to the efforts they had to make to get anything usable from it at all.  Cardiff stadium, which is very well used, cost £120 million.  I think the whole thing was a complete waste of money to begin with, and trying to sort out someone to take over the place was always poorly considered.  Frankly, I think they're lucky they found any use for it at all.

But the 'Garden Bridge' was a stupid idea.  I sometimes think that it might all have been a general stimulus for the economy in difficult times, that wasn't necessary when the City recovered over the last two years.  But that is very generous of me -- it was a stupid idea.  A bit like the Millennium Bridge; they needed another bridge, but why go to all the effort to design something so expensive.

11 hours ago, sPinwheel said:

It was generally successful, but the mask is slipping. Even the Tories identified him as toxic to voters during the GE. Outside London, who likes him?

Doubt he's popular in London either after campaigning for Brexit.

He's a clown. I used to think he was pretending, but now I believe he's just a twit. He must have some pretty deep masonic ties 'cos anyone else would have been thrown under a bus years ago.

He's both a clown and extremely sly. I think a number of these people exhibit real sociopath issues. In his interviews, he always has a smug "everything is going to be great" smile on his face, even when being quizzed on things that are obviously going disastrously wrong. It is charming if you don't realise he's doing it. That is a very sly salesman tool. He is massively dishonest and I dislike him intensely.

On 01/12/2017 at 9:59 PM, sPinwheel said:

Even the Tories identified him as toxic to voters during the GE. Outside London, who likes him?

I think campaigning for Leave and then being a good loser was his plan to make him more popular with shire tories.

On 03/12/2017 at 9:15 PM, Will! said:

I think campaigning for Leave and then being a good loser was his plan to make him more popular with shire tories.

It looks like Boris planning to challenge TM following the recent debacle.

I'm sure Boris has demonstrated sufficient competence from his time as London Mayor. 

Apart form all that wasteful reckless spending.

5 hours ago, sPinwheel said:

It looks like Boris planning to challenge TM following the recent debacle.

His dad is warming up the public to the Johnson family ;)

I think he might have developed his public persona to help him get away with incompetence if he needs to, as well as to court affection and popularity. He presents himself as bumbling, confused, surprised by things, but kind of charming. When he does bungle something – like the situation with Mrs. Zaghari-Ratcliffe – his own slightly clueless image helps to exonerate him and keep the Boris show on the road. I think there are probably quite a few people in public life, and in senior roles elsewhere, who do this. It’s not good.

On 12/3/2017 at 9:15 PM, Will! said:

It was definitely some sort of career strategy, he strikes me as someone who really doesn't give a crap about the EU either way. 

He made his mind up pretty late in the game, if I recall.