House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Errol

World Cup 2018 - Draw

On 12/1/2017 at 4:31 PM, Errol said:

Relatively benign draw for England. They would have taken that if offered prior to the draw.

got off very lightly i'd say.southgate should be pleased with that.

if we get through the group,then it should be either poland or columbia,which is do-able.

Belgium will tear us a new one. You're talking about a team of overrated prima-donnas who couldn't beat a load of Icelandic bankers and whale-stabbers. Panama will trouble us too as they'll just threaten to expose our player's offshore funds.

Our footballers don't know how to play international football. We get athletes and try to tach them football instead of the other ways around. We're all blood and thunder with no ability to pass out from the back under pressure. That's no good in summer heat and they'll get fooked after 30 minutes. So if you're planning to go to see a match, make it an early one.

Wouldn't surprise me if Tunisia gave us a game too. North Africans know how to look after the ball. They produce players like Zidane, while we produce headless chickens like Walcott. 

On 03/12/2017 at 1:54 PM, Maynardgravy said:

That's no good in summer heat 

This is Russia, remember. The heat (presumably) won't be a massive factor.

18 hours ago, ExiledMatty said:

Who cares anyway? Football is now the reserve of plebs.

I used to really, really care about football.
Then I grew up. Seriously, who over 21 cares? Cos if you do, you need to get your mental health checked.

I still like seeing good footballers play good football - even better if they come across as decent blokes. That rules out 90%+ though, and I usually end up cheering for the other team when England are on.

De Bruyne and Hazard will be a joy to watch. 

On 01/12/2017 at 6:42 PM, frankief said:

Oh no, Russia eh.....England fans going to get beat up again?

By who? I doubt those Russian fighters we saw in Euro 2016 would be dumb enough to kick off in thier home tournament. That would be embarrassing for the hosts, Putin especially. I expect a crackdown.

4 hours ago, Errol said:

This is Russia, remember. The heat (presumably) won't be a massive factor.

Have you been to Russia in the Summer? I have.

Many of Napoleon's army died of the severe cold in the retreat. It's often neglected that he lost over half his army before getting to Moscow. Some at Borodino, some from desertion and lots from heat exhaustion.

2 hours ago, Maynardgravy said:

Have you been to Russia in the Summer? I have.

Many of Napoleon's army died of the severe cold in the retreat. It's often neglected that he lost over half his army before getting to Moscow. Some at Borodino, some from desertion and lots from heat exhaustion.

Well maybe so, buts it's not exactly Operation Barbarossa. 

If it's death from heat exhaustion you're looking for, wait for Qatar 2022...

10 hours ago, sPinwheel said:

Well maybe so, buts it's not exactly Operation Barbarossa. 

If it's death from heat exhaustion you're looking for, wait for Qatar 2022...

Can't argue with that. But I;m not exactly waiting for any deaths.... honest

Russian police will probably deal with troublemakers a lot less harshly than American police would (in the US it is standard for Police to shoot first or simply beat the suspect to a pulp prior to arrest).

However, Russia has already stated that Police will be on high alert and that there will be zero tolerance for any football hooliganism or unrest.

2 hours ago, Errol said:

Russian police will probably deal with troublemakers a lot less harshly than American police would (in the US it is standard for Police to shoot first or simply beat the suspect to a pulp prior to arrest).

However, Russia has already stated that Police will be on high alert and that there will be zero tolerance for any football hooliganism or unrest.

Except for Russian hooligans. Who will be praised by the authorities....

Actually they will be crushed as well. Only the very foolish will try anything at this World Cup. Unless they want to spend the winter in a Siberian prison (which makes a Western prison look like the Ritz Carlton).

2 hours ago, Errol said:

Only the very foolish will try anything at this World Cup. Unless they want to spend the winter in a Siberian prison.

Lots of stupid people around looking for a fight. It's not like the hooligans are a clever bunch...

On 07/12/2017 at 4:57 PM, Errol said:

On sport hooliganism, the Eddie Jones  rugby altercation with Scot's fans seems to have blown up a bit. Not pleasant, but probably a bit lost in cultural translation. Scots fans can get a bit exuberant in celebration. I have seen worse, I remember seeing Tommy Docherty getting jostled and slapped on the head  and jeered in the 80s, not on television but when I was at a football ground. Being a Scot, he seemed to take it in good spirit. I guess tolerance of these kind of things is now zero...one assumes it was commonplace in the past.

11 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

On sport hooliganism, the Eddie Jones  rugby altercation with Scot's fans seems to have blown up a bit. Not pleasant, but probably a bit lost in cultural translation. Scots fans can get a bit exuberant in celebration. I have seen worse, I remember seeing Tommy Docherty getting jostled and slapped on the head  and jeered in the 80s, not on television but when I was at a football ground. Being a Scot, he seemed to take it in good spirit. I guess tolerance of these kind of things is now zero...one assumes it was commonplace in the past.

Not like Eddie Jones to point the finger at someone else to deflect attention away from England’s shortcomings.

At least England will go into the competition at the lowest level ever. Nothing is expected of them, so they have (relatively) nothing to lose.

World Cup groundwork comes to a close, finishing touches get underway

Preparations for the FIFA World Cup have been nearly wrapped up, and Russia is geared up for the tournament, and now the finishing touches are underway, Russian President Vladimir Putin said at a meeting of the Supervisory Board of the Russia 2018 Local Organizing Committee in Sochi.

http://tass.com/sport/1002760

2 hours ago, Errol said:

World Cup groundwork comes to a close, finishing touches get underway

Preparations for the FIFA World Cup have been nearly wrapped up, and Russia is geared up for the tournament, and now the finishing touches are underway, Russian President Vladimir Putin said at a meeting of the Supervisory Board of the Russia 2018 Local Organizing Committee in Sochi.

http://tass.com/sport/1002760

I hope no English fans decide to travel, just asking for trouble. No blame here on the Russians, they have a set idea about English football hooligans based on the 1970s plus we haven't exactly been their biggest friend politically this last year. Just being provocative going, intentionally or not.

I'm just hoping that the Russians are taking security seriously (no reason to doubt this). There needs to be proper crowd segregation and a lot of riot police at every game.

I would presume that UK and other fans have enough sense to not wander off into back-streets and other non-tourist areas - it's just asking for trouble. We can also only hope that the UK fans have enough sense to not deliberately provoke trouble.

7 hours ago, Errol said:

We can also only hope that the UK fans have enough sense to not deliberately provoke trouble.

Well, England fans will no doubt be there , many wannabe hooligans amongst them. But, as we saw in the Euros in Marseille, they are no match for Russian hooligans.