House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
giesahoose

New rental laws in Scotland to protect tenants

“In areas like Edinburgh, Dr Boyle said there may be problems for landlords who rent to students during term-time, then to festival-goers in the summer.”

Yes, I know someone doing exactly this, and it was my first thought. This will make the BTL business less profitable in EH.

Edited by Silverfinger

34 minutes ago, Silverfinger said:

“In areas like Edinburgh, Dr Boyle said there may be problems for landlords who rent to students during term-time, then to festival-goers in the summer.”

Yes, I know someone doing exactly this, and it was my first thought. This will make the BTL business less profitable in EH.

Might be nice for the students who sub let..

11 hours ago, Silverfinger said:

The landlords could just pay the students to leave early if they want that business so much.

21 hours ago, Monkey said:

Why is it (nearly) always Scotland that puts in place the good laws

Probably the higher rate of paye paid in scotland by people earning 43k+...about to increase again and be split into a new set of tax bands that wont exist anywhere else in the uk.

I'm currently £400 a year worse off than if i live in oxford where my wife is from...if the next set of increases, including a special 1% additional scottish income tax, go through i'll be around £920 a year worse off next year than if i lived in england.

If it carries on like this, and house prices eventually crash, then i will take that as a trigger to move from Edinburgh to Oxford.

On 01/12/2017 at 12:24 PM, Monkey said:

As I see it, there's two factors at play. Firstly, our government doesn't have to worry about such trifling matters as the wider economy and defence, so has more time to devote to more social policy. And secondly, they're still a relatively new bunch, so haven't had the time to build up corrupt links with industry etc compared to WM. Give them time though...

On 01/12/2017 at 10:55 AM, giesahoose said:

Me too.  Should go further, European style.

On 01/12/2017 at 12:24 PM, Monkey said:

Agreed on many fronts.

Rented in Europe for many years.  Most properties owned by large pension funds.  Well maintained and good and fair laws to protect tenants.  Makes the UK look real scummy.