House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
artyshaw

Agency want forwarding address

My second post today! So thanks for reading.

The letting agents want a forwarding address under the guise of "having a concise and accurate paper trail from start to finish" whilst dealing with my deposit.

I've told them that they don't need a forwarding address and that I will collect a cheque in person from their offices.

I doubt very much there's a legal requirement to leave a forwarding address. In saying that has anyone else done this or had issues such as this?

Thanks

They say they want this to send a report of inventory and any deductions. It's quite common and has happened for each tenancy i've lived in. 

I gave them my grandad's address when i moved out, as i was between houses anyway. I actually wanted them to send this info to me as they charged me a checkout fee and I was hoping there might be a PPI-style 'claim back tenancy fees power' in a few years. 

They never sent anything and i lost interest trying to chase them for the paperwork. They did pay my deposit back (minus checkout fee, of course!) after some chasing. 

contact details were requested by the latest agent I have had dealings with, this is what they quoted...

"as required by regulation2(g)(iv) The Housing (Tenancy) (Prescribed Information) Order 2007"

On 23/11/2017 at 13:02, artyshaw said:

My second post today! So thanks for reading.

The letting agents want a forwarding address under the guise of "having a concise and accurate paper trail from start to finish" whilst dealing with my deposit.

I've told them that they don't need a forwarding address and that I will collect a cheque in person from their offices.

I doubt very much there's a legal requirement to leave a forwarding address. In saying that has anyone else done this or had issues such as this?

Thanks

Ask them what the landlord's address is and tell them that it's a legal requirement for them to provide this information. 

If they refuse, get them to put it in writing then get the info from the land registry and send them the bill for the small fee. If they refuse to pay, take them to the small claims court to recover the fee. 

Edited by spacedin