House Price Crash Forum
Tempus

House builders say give young commuters free rail travel to help housing crisis

From Faisal Islam. Unbelievable.

What next? Government to give the young free food? Subsidise their heating? Buy their clothes for them? Anything and everything. Just make sure cheaper houses must NEVER be the answer.

3 minutes ago, Tempus said:

What next?

Flagship Government housing plan fails to deliver a single home in three years

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/housing-starter-homes-budget-philip-hammond-a8066571.html

"A flagship government programme to deliver 200,000 discounted new homes to first-time buyers is yet to see a single one built.

The 2014 Starter Home initiative was touted as part of “a major push” to help people on the housing ladder, but officials admit delivering any properties under the scheme remains an “ambition”.

What next? More promises. Less action. It's worked for years so why change now.

10 minutes ago, Futuroid said:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/housing-starter-homes-budget-philip-hammond-a8066571.html

"A flagship government programme to deliver 200,000 discounted new homes to first-time buyers is yet to see a single one built.

The 2014 Starter Home initiative was touted as part of “a major push” to help people on the housing ladder, but officials admit delivering any properties under the scheme remains an “ambition”.

Funny.

All out collapse is now inevitable.

House prices will be the least of peoples worries.

3 minutes ago, Nabby81 said:

Yes give them free travel so they can afford to spend more on the builders houses ...because the gov handing them a 20% loan isn't enough already 

Good post

2 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Funny.

All out collapse is now inevitable.

House prices will be the least of peoples worries.

The barrel scraping to protect they property industry and boomers is getting desperate. Mind you, htb was desperate, we're just lucky that Cameron isn't in power anymore.

18 minutes ago, Si1 said:

The barrel scraping to protect they property industry and boomers is getting desperate. Mind you, htb was desperate, we're just lucky that Cameron isn't in power anymore.

True, but very little that Theresa 'n' Phil have done suggests they're any better.

I was at a birthday party in trendy West London at the weekend, chatting to a couple somehow got onto the London housing bubble - I introduced it as such - said this will be looked back on as the greatest megabubble in history. They went PALE. Properly sheet white. Just one strangers opinion. People know deep down this sh*t is all smoke and mirrors. Guy kept saying "well millions of people will be screwed if it does burst". True story.

Edit then they were asking for my credentials to give my witness testimony some context. "have you bought and sold London housing then?" "are you in property then?" was painful to watch. Thing is they seemed a decent couple and I didn't go in there with the intention of upsetting people but fck me I might as well have told them a close family member had weeks to live. Both of them looked in shock.

Edited by thewig

6 minutes ago, thewig said:

I was at a birthday party in trendy West London at the weekend, chatting to a couple somehow got onto the London housing bubble - I introduced it as such - said this will be looked back on as the greatest megabubble in history. They went PALE. Properly sheet white. Just one strangers opinion. People know deep down this sh*t is all smoke and mirrors. Guy kept saying "well millions of people will be screwed if it does burst". True story.

There are millions of people screwed if it doesn't !!

7 minutes ago, thewig said:

Oddly, someone told me on Sunday that, millions would loose out if the government pulled their schemes, 5 minute rant later he realised how wrong he was.

On a recent trip to west London a sensible friend of mine and her friend opoint out prices had fallen 3% round their way, but thought that would be it as the market had been a bit over heated.

I didnt correct them, they are in debt up to their eyeballs.

1 minute ago, Nabby81 said:

A few BTLers, a few idiots and no one much else if they fall.

a whole generation or more if they dont.

Take your pick

8 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

A few BTLers, a few idiots and no one much else if they fall.

I think you forgot... a large number of MPs, some large Conservative party donors, and members of the British establishment* from your list.

This might help to understand things a little.  

* Who don't give two shi*s about house prices, but do care about land prices.

If that isn't biggest tacit admission that the cost of housing is making living a normal life impossible. These house builders must know the mess they are creating.

56 minutes ago, Parkwell said:

If that isn't biggest tacit admission that the cost of housing is making living a normal life impossible. These house builders must know the mess they are creating.

Of course they do but they don't seem to care about the long term damage this is doing to our increasingly fragile Society.

3 hours ago, Nabby81 said:

This is on the money and is starting to translate into more and more votes now the electorate has woken up, that's what will start to change policy. I fully expect the Tories will try and bullsh1t around the subject of building more unaffordable housing, trying to help young people through mental debt schemes. But as things won't get any better for anyone under 45 and counting. They will soon find out when the polls shift further and further to the labour party, the balance of opinion is shifting even among older home owners who know they have been sold a pup, no one wants to wash they kids clothes and make them tea forever, lets hope it tips over soon!

house builders propose free rail travel so unattractive junk locations can be charged at maximum value now the commuting cost does not matter anymore. 

zone 1 is the same as 80 miles out the only difference is time now. 

HOW MANY MORE PROPS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This doesn't work on any level. 

In addition to all of the points already made, the rail infrastructure has had so little investment over the past 50 years that it is past breaking point already.

By the time my train rolled into my zone 6 station this morning it was already packed and we ended up leaving half the people who wanted to get on waiting for the next one.

If thousands of people who are currently renting rooms in London decide to move an hour outside because they get free travel and cheaper housing, even less people will be able to get to work on time.

5 hours ago, thewig said:

Edit then they were asking for my credentials to give my witness testimony some context. "have you bought and sold London housing then?" "are you in property then?" was painful to watch. Thing is they seemed a decent couple and I didn't go in there with the intention of upsetting people but fck me I might as well have told them a close family member had weeks to live. Both of them looked in shock.

I've often found the first weapon of choice for the VI's dismissal of hpc views , are something along the lines of ' you've never bought a house, so you cannot have an opinion or knowledge of the housing market . 

43599f4db1e73b964b0dc679e17dc338--punch-magazine-the-artist.jpg

8 hours ago, Nabby81 said:

Yup. There are more rented than owner occupied properties in London now despite the massive suburban hinterland that is zones 3-6. Bye bye HPI being a vote winner.

Edited by Dorkins

9 hours ago, Futuroid said:

Another developer freebie thought up by developers no doubt. 

Local authorities were going to be required to let them off paying s106 contributions and CIL levies for all the infrastructure required by new developments and the nice developers would then give 20 per cent of the price of a flat to first time buyers under 40s. Local authorities foot the bill - developers make a packet.

So glad its been a total failure!

3 hours ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

you've never bought a house, so you cannot have an opinion or knowledge of the housing market . 

maybe that is your opinion . it`s certainly mine OVERPRICED CR*P not worth bothering with. 

45 minutes ago, Dorkins said:

Yup. There are more rented than owner occupied properties in London now despite the massive suburban hinterland that is zones 3-6. Bye bye HPI being a vote winner.

And London tends to vote Labour.  Just a coincidence, I'm sure. 

Anyway, the real issue here is that houses outside major employment hubs are cheaper largely because of the cost of commuting.  If there was no cost to commuting then prices would rise. See crossrail.

1 minute ago, BuyToLeech said:

And London tends to vote Labour.  Just a coincidence, I'm sure. 

Anyway, the real issue here is that houses outside major employment hubs are cheaper largely because of the cost of commuting.  If there was no cost to commuting then prices would rise. See crossrail.

AND THAT IS THE REAL REASON.  HTB in another form looks like they are helping but really off loading rubbish new builds. 

i can see them falling for it though.