Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
dougless

Pitchfork moments

Recommended Posts

For me is the moment in those auctions when someone applauds a mental sale price. What are they celebrating? Congratulating the seller for owning something so expensive? Relief they weren't the mug that spent so much?

Edited by btd1981

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No pitchforks until someone says the modern day equivalent of "let them eat cake".  Fear not, it will happen.  Such is the nature of greed.

Edited by Fence

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are questions surrounding the painting reported, not all the "experts" have the same views, no doubt that's about vested interests.

Is it not more about setting the market levels, if ever increasing prices are not paid then the monetary value of art works already held would decrease?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, dougless said:

It struck me yesterday how obscene the news about the da Vinci sale was yesterday; are we now getting to pitchfork time for the 1%.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42000696

Any other 'pitchfork' moments that you have noticed?

Art, classic cars, antiques are a great way for the super wealthy to both hide and preserve their wealth for their future generations.  A lot of wealth in a small space, unlikely to be confiscated through any financialisation nonsense and no tax.  What's not to like if you're super wealthy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, guest_northshore said:

Doubt we'll see any pitchforks, but a £1000 fine (aka rent) on homeless people's tents is quite obscene:
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/midland-council-planning-fine-rough-13914633

Sounds like a make work programme for the legal profession. Unless they think that people with £1k up their sleeve sleep on the streets in tents for cheap thrills?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, HowMuch! said:

There are questions surrounding the painting reported, not all the "experts" have the same views, no doubt that's about vested interests.

Is it not more about setting the market levels, if ever increasing prices are not paid then the monetary value of art works already held would decrease?

+1. I would be very surprised if someone actually paid $450m for the picture (that is, $450m was transferred in to the auction house in return for the picture. Damien Hirsts £50m diamond skull never, actually, sold!

"Bidding began at $100m and the final bid for the work was $400m, with fees bringing the full price up to $450.3m. The unidentified buyer was involved in a bidding contest, via telephone, that lasted nearly 20 minutes." Hmmm

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The painting is a fake. I do have a background in art, art history, and dealing in art. It’s not even in the trademark compositional style of Da Vinci least of all consistent with his usual methods of production. 

Just because one auction house (read ‘estate agent’) with fees to make off its sale says it’s a ‘wonderful investment’ that will appreciate in years to come doesn’t make it so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MonkeyPuzzle said:

The painting is a fake. I do have a background in art, art history, and dealing in art. It’s not even in the trademark compositional style of Da Vinci least of all consistent with his usual methods of production. 

Just because one auction house (read ‘estate agent’) with fees to make off its sale says it’s a ‘wonderful investment’ that will appreciate in years to come doesn’t make it so.

I'm no art expert but it doesn't look right to me either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wish I could afford one said:

Art, classic cars, antiques are a great way for the super wealthy to both hide and preserve their wealth for their future generations.  A lot of wealth in a small space, unlikely to be confiscated through any financialisation nonsense and no tax.  What's not to like if you're super wealthy.

and easy to steal ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Fence said:

No pitchforks until someone says the modern day equivalent of "let them eat cake".  Fear not, it will happen.  Such is the nature of greed.

Boris Johnson's "Chicken feed" comment from 2009?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 17/11/2017 at 1:33 PM, dougless said:

It struck me yesterday how obscene the news about the da Vinci sale was yesterday; are we now getting to pitchfork time for the 1%.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-42000696

Any other 'pitchfork' moments that you have noticed?

 

 

About 12 years ago was travelling around the world for a year in Laos and Vietnam at that time and read on the BBC website about someone paying £50,000 for a personal number plate for their child and I thought that was disgusting from a perspective of someone in a country where people were earning one US Dollar a day

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/18/2017 at 12:06 PM, guest_northshore said:

Doubt we'll see any pitchforks, but a £1000 fine (aka rent) on homeless people's tents is quite obscene:
http://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/midland-council-planning-fine-rough-13914633

they have to be made of pliable rubber /low density polyeurathane now,rather than metal and wood .

health+safety say you might hurt someone with the old ones.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

on the same vein,cake is now not politically correct to eat,let alone bread..too many transfats,high fructose corm syrup or gluten.

"let them eat tofu"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 406 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.