House Price Crash Forum
ItalianV6

Is anyone else noticing....

That the beeb appears to be preparing us for something big... I wonder of there is something in the budget coming relating to:

1) The beeb land map - What's the betting something about removing protection for the green belt is happening

2) This http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41684812 seems to be trying to share the picture that things are tough for ftb'ers. 

It has peaked my interest as to what is coming, it feels like a classic slow messaging/conditioning position to me

Edited by ItalianV6
Fixed link

3 minutes ago, ItalianV6 said:

That the beeb appears to be preparing us for something big... I wonder of there is something in the budget coming relating to:

1) The beeb land map - What's the betting something about removing protection for the green belt is happening

2) This http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41684812, seems to be trying to share the picture that things are tough for ftb'ers. 

It has peaked my interest as to what is coming, it feels like a classic slow messaging/conditioning position to me

That link is down.

7 minutes ago, ItalianV6 said:

2) This http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-41684812 seems to be trying to share the picture that things are tough for ftb'ers. 

Yip.

Hoping for a nice 3D printed 12 square metre starter home in a new development somewhere swampy near Sellafield.

Certainly looks like a more balance article from the BBC for once.

I remember when their map of affordability used to include shared ownership.

Despite discovering the the deaths caused by air pollution we now chose to build over the green belt. Not that build more housing will solve the housing crisis as only about six percent of new homes are classed as affordable. The one bitter pill that is never mentioned is allowing a price correction, as that would solve many issues in one go. 

Bang on.

Im imagining lots of sound bites suggestive of a government in tune with the needs of the young and the struggling with lots of intention to build more homes and perhaps something like a stamp duty holiday for First Time Buyers thrown in for some good headlines...

However... it feels much much more like a stab at a controlled demolition than a genuine attempt to sustain HPI. In a weird way it feels like they are somehow ‘coming clean’ and tuning us up for a correction in prices ‘for the good of us all... not just the few’.

Or maybe I’ve had too much vino?! ;) 

2 minutes ago, Mapatasy said:

Bang on.

Im imagining lots of sound bites suggestive of a government in tune with the needs of the young and the struggling with lots of intention to build more homes and perhaps something like a stamp duty holiday for First Time Buyers thrown in for some good headlines...

However... it feels much much more like a stab at a controlled demolition than a genuine attempt to sustain HPI. In a weird way it feels like they are somehow ‘coming clean’ and tuning us up for a correction in prices ‘for the good of us all... not just the few’.

Maybe the vino just frees you up to trust your gut instinct. Maybe you're right to second guess these planted stories-  too simplistic to believe we are just being softened up for massive house building of new-town rent to buy slave compounds.

3 minutes ago, Mapatasy said:

Bang on.

I think a lot of people are beginning to see the problems with hpi. Employers seeing their staff not particularly motivated by pay increases as the house prices increase at a higher rate. Boomer parents/grandparents seeing their kids move back to their childhood home. The more personal experience, the easier people will accept a correction 

3 minutes ago, UnconventionalWisdom said:

I think a lot of people are beginning to see the problems with hpi. Employers seeing their staff not particularly motivated by pay increases as the house prices increase at a higher rate. Boomer parents/grandparents seeing their kids move back to their childhood home.  

HPI and the associated division of wealth it has nourished certainly played its part during the referendum and the recent-ish shock Labour result which I imagine TPTB will be most concerned about.

I imagine a large portion of the voting population are now ‘awake’, frustrated and angry enough to actually put down their smashed avocados, for a minute or two, and turn their gaze on government and begin to talk amongst themselves and ask questions... not what you want if you’re one of the leaders of the ‘free world’!  

15 minutes ago, UnconventionalWisdom said:

The more personal experience, the easier people will accept a correction 

Literally couldn’t agree with you more! ;) 

In 2007, I was working for a contractor, building mostly social housing.  I saw house prices getting out of reach, and knew we were the poor end of the job market.  I switched to a private housebuilder for the money, and found in the 2009 recession they cut jobs on the basis of geography - like, 2 out of every 3 offices, they just closed.  I was one.  and I've not felt the urge to re-enter the mainstream job market since.  They just can't offer me the realistic prospect of one day owning a home.

53 minutes ago, Thorn said:

Maybe the vino just frees you up to trust your gut instinct. Maybe you're right to second guess these planted stories-  too simplistic to believe we are just being softened up for massive house building of new-town rent to buy slave compounds.

It’s not just the housing market that’s ‘broken’... it’s everything. The entire system is broken and society is becoming increasingly unstable.

The only way to resolve the issue is to re-introduce true capitalism and allow the nature of the beast to take its course.

The BOE release the banking sector stress test results on the 28th... if the banks are positioned well enough to withstand a crash I genuinely believe a crash will quickly follow. The BOE have known the results for over a month now and since they received the data... the whole game has changed... we even had an interest rate rise at the next available opportunity! ;)

The budget is hocus pocus... the stress test results are where my money is and, the way the game has changed over the last few weeks in particular... I’m going all in that this really is happening and we are finally going to get our HPC! Very soon.

Edited by Mapatasy

1 hour ago, Mapatasy said:

It’s not just the housing market that’s ‘broken’... it’s everything. The entire system is broken and society is becoming increasingly unstable.

The only way to resolve the issue is to re-introduce true capitalism and allow the nature of the beast to take its course.

i truly believe the current state of increased mental health issues are down to this pseudo capitalist system we have, where hard work rewards with nothing. mearley a plate spinning exercise to keep the sham going. 

9 hours ago, ItalianV6 said:

I wonder of there is something in the budget coming

Please please let it be a special tax on recently-incorporated BTL portfolios :-) So much comedy potential!

8 hours ago, UnconventionalWisdom said:

I think a lot of people are beginning to see the problems with hpi. Employers seeing their staff not particularly motivated by pay increases as the house prices increase at a higher rate. Boomer parents/grandparents seeing their kids move back to their childhood home. The more personal experience, the easier people will accept a correction 

There is a housing crisis in this country and it is affecting a growing number of people, firms businesses the tax take and productivity......by the way how do you define a FTB someone who has never owned or someone who owns nothing at the moment?......how can it be checked to see if someone had owned in the past, could they if SD was reduced put themselves into a position to benefit from that policy?;)

8 hours ago, Mapatasy said:

The BOE release the banking sector stress test results on the 28th... if the banks are positioned well enough to withstand a crash I genuinely believe a crash will quickly follow. The BOE have known the results for over a month now and since they received the data... the whole game has changed... we even had an interest rate rise at the next available opportunity! ;)

The budget is hocus pocus... the stress test results are where my money is and, the way the game has changed over the last few weeks in particular... I’m going all in that this really is happening and we are finally going to get our HPC! Very soon.

Would like to agree with you, not even convinced a right wing government can get much in the way of planted news into a left wing media machine 

Banks as long as solvent would like to get into a bit of wholesale repossession - all fees stay with original owner, property flogged to their mates for nice mark up with sitting tenants - what’s there not to like - doubles all round !

38 minutes ago, winkie said:

There is a housing crisis in this country and it is affecting a growing number of people, firms businesses the tax take and productivity......by the way how do you define a FTB someone who has never owned or someone who owns nothing at the moment?......how can it be checked to see if someone had owned in the past, could they if SD was reduced put themselves into a position to benefit from that policy?;)

Nothing at the moment - obviously ? where’s my handout !

24 minutes ago, Greg Bowman said:

Nothing at the moment - obviously ? where’s my handout !

New owners it is then......buy in sole names get two?

11 hours ago, ItalianV6 said:

The Green Belts in the UK are nowhere as massive as that map implies . They don't even cover all of Surrey let alone most of South East England.

New towns are required with a green belt around them......many were built once, very little gets done any more.....and they call it progress, progress for who?;)

46 minutes ago, winkie said:

New owners it is then......buy in sole names get two?

Thought about that as we are ball and chain - no benefit for 2nd home stamp duty even though we could conceivably get one each  not sure how it works with all the prop up the market schemes 

28 minutes ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

The Green Belts in the UK are nowhere as massive as that map implies . They don't even cover all of Surrey let alone most of South East England.

They are more strips - where we were in Cuffley could look out of two fields that were green belt then the next set of houses