House Price Crash Forum
rantnrave

BBC - Why Living With Our Parents Is The Best Thing Ever

Ticks all the boxes this one, except mentioning an iPhone... Young people are happy to stay with their parents, they are useless with money and can't cope on their own, if they do stay with their folks and save then they blow the cash on exotic foreign trips. And of course, they don't want to move out, so there's nothing wrong if young people can't afford today's house prices.

You have been warned before clicking the link...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/article/41927678/why-living-with-our-parents-is-the-best-thing-ever

Edited by rantnrave

I think a lot depends on if you have sympathetic parents. I lived at home as an adult and I was told by my baby boomer wealthy parents that I was forbidden to use the kitchen after 9pm.

I appreciate that I was able to have some more disposable income than I would otherwise have, but it doesn't quite make up for the humiliation you feel.

One more thing on this topic, I've seen a friend of mine buy a house with money gifted to him by his parents. he quickly bought a dog. I have someone in my immediate family, professional single mother, kids all have a different mental condition get a council house. The first thing she did was get a dog. Perhaps buying a dog is the sign you have made it now? A way to rub other people's faces in it. Dog implies house.

13 minutes ago, Uncle_Kenny said:

I think a lot depends on if you have sympathetic parents. I lived at home as an adult and I was told by my baby boomer wealthy parents that I was forbidden to use the kitchen after 9pm.

I appreciate that I was able to have some more disposable income than I would otherwise have, but it doesn't quite make up for the humiliation you feel.

I was not allowed to eat onions when I lived at home.  I know what you mean about humiliation, when my sisters from abroad visit my Dad regularly threatens to make them go to a hotel (if I were them I wouldn't visit).

35 minutes ago, oldsport said:

Living at home when you're 23/24 and single as in this article has always been common. The newer phenomenon is people having to do this into their 30s and also couples.

I know someone who graduated in 94 decided to live at home to save a bit before they bought - they are still there as prices have risen faster than they can save.

45 minutes ago, reddog said:

Feels to me like propaganda normalising a decline in living standards.

Backfires on the government - men living at home or even alone like this spend less, won't get married, will avoid tax as much as possible, will not play any role in society, etc etc.

Men don't need much. Most are perfectly happy to sit at home with a video game or film etc.

MGTOW is the future apparently.

Edited by Errol

I couldn't live at home however renting a room or part of a house has suited me fine for years. I can move in an instant don't have any maintenance to do additional safety of having others in the home. I rent the top floor of a house it is brilliant i have shedloads of free cash which I save. I have had bad live in landlords though but If you get a good one you do your best to get on with them and stay there whilst you need to. Everyone has silly rules i remember no BBQ's in the kitchen (which actually mean don't use the grill) but for others it can be like a house of friends chilled out and relaxed beers in the garden fixing motorbikes on the drive ect. Living at home isn't for everyone, but the option doesn't have to be moving out to a rented house or buying. Renting a room in a nice area or a section of a big house can allow you to like in settings beyond your means which has been great for me as i move locations to find interesting jobs every few years.

51 minutes ago, reddog said:

Feels like that to me also.....gotta get people feeling good about themselves and the situation they have little power over.;)

Just now, Social Justice League said:

Earn up to the tax allowance and not a penny more.

Don't consume very much. 

Get out of the rat race and watch the carnage.

Very, very well put.

6 minutes ago, Social Justice League said:

Don't consume very much. 

As I said, this is what lots of men (particularly) are doing. And men are inherently better at it, being far better adapted to coping on their own.

1 hour ago, thewig said:

#vileBBC: "most of you think whatever we tell you to think"

#vileBBC loves to see the youth of this country living at home well into their thirties. Not having a chance of a life or family of their own.... Whilst simultaneously inviting the entire 3rd world population to come and live here and replace them. 

Promoting holidays over having a future - #vileBBC at work again. Endless propaganda. Do NOT pay for this Cultural Marxist platform

24 minutes ago, Social Justice League said:

Don't consume very much. 

I was actually reminded why this is the best policy the other day.My CV must be on some site somewhere and a company rang up offering a job.I could of done it and they were desperate for someone.The skills they wanted though and the amount you would be covering was extreme compared to similar roles iv done in the past and id of had to blag a few of the things for a while.They could of offered £200k a year and id of said no thanks il stick to £12k,but i expected a salary for the role of around £45/£55k plus benefits.They offered £26k.My mate gets more than that who has never worked more than 22 hours in 12 years (tax credits and DLA for made up childs illness his wife also gets carers allowance for).I actually laughed at the guy on the phone.Il never,ever go back to earning more than the tax allowance again.The workers of this country have been handed a shocking deal.Give your life up for crap pay so we can tax you most of it to give away to freeloaders from top and bottom.That is a deal you have to opt out of as quickly as possible.

No secure home for family means going out to try and get one though- work should still be the only way if not taking state money to try and get shelter.

Constantly feeling like you're trying hard but being lied to, ripped off and anxious about the next eviction is rotten. 

I still want to work. I just can't understand how homes are out of reach and how the wealthy and boomers live in a parallel country.

There are 2 Britains for sure.

1 hour ago, reddog said:

I don't know man, are people really happier being atomised across the country? 

Poor with a strong family > wealthy and no close relatives imo.

Housing demand is very elastic. There's no reason a 6 person family couldn't conceivably live in a 2 bed house.

59 minutes ago, Errol said:

Backfires on the government - men living at home or even alone like this spend less, won't get married, will avoid tax as much as possible, will not play any role in society, etc etc.

Men don't need much. Most are perfectly happy to sit at home with a video game or film etc.

Or outdoorsy stuff. Air rifle pellets cost next to nothing and a hike in the woods is certainly [still] free

1 hour ago, Mr Banks said:

I couldn't live at home however renting a room or part of a house has suited me fine for years. I can move in an instant don't have any maintenance to do additional safety of having others in the home. I rent the top floor of a house it is brilliant i have shedloads of free cash which I save. I have had bad live in landlords though but If you get a good one you do your best to get on with them and stay there whilst you need to. Everyone has silly rules i remember no BBQ's in the kitchen (which actually mean don't use the grill) but for others it can be like a house of friends chilled out and relaxed beers in the garden fixing motorbikes on the drive ect. Living at home isn't for everyone, but the option doesn't have to be moving out to a rented house or buying. Renting a room in a nice area or a section of a big house can allow you to like in settings beyond your means which has been great for me as i move locations to find interesting jobs every few years.

In London renting a room can still be expensive.

51 minutes ago, Locke said:

Or outdoorsy stuff. Air rifle pellets cost next to nothing and a hike in the woods is certainly [still] free

I thought about this, but when I looked into it the rules are voluminous, and the punishments are draconian. Air rifles are considered firearms, so potentially shooting a squirrel in the woods can land you bang in trouble if some good two shoes grasses you up.

1 hour ago, Errol said:

1 hour ago, Social Justice League said:

Don't consume very much. 

Good plan that....but have had to have been the rat to have escaped the rat race.;)