House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  

MSM articles affect sentiment, supply & prices?

Whenever I post MSM HPI indicators/articles (Rightmove, RICS, EA weekly, Daily Mail, Playboy's Property Pages) I'm told "those prices are still too high, it's meaningless, I want 30% falls before I believe it's happening"

I've always said MSM reports affect sentiment which affects supply and prices.

Well after the recent rate rise (headline news) and today's RICS survey (ditto) I've had 40+ new listings/reductions in my search area (Worthing ish, 300 properties yesterday). I've never seen anything like it.

19 minutes ago, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

Whenever I post MSM HPI indicators/articles (Rightmove, RICS, EA weekly, Daily Mail, Playboy's Property Pages) I'm told "those prices are still too high, it's meaningless, I want 30% falls before I believe it's happening"

Well after the recent rate rise (headline news) and today's RICS survey (ditto) I've had 40+ new listings/reductions in my search area (Worthing ish, 300 properties yesterday). I've never seen anything like it.

That's incredible and very good to hear. I agree about the sentiment factor. People get all their news more from the MSM and less from friends, family and neighbours these days. They must be very formable.

11 hours ago, Grab_Some_Popcorn said:

If media ( main stream or other wise ) didnt affect sentiment why do the trolls come on here to spread their message of fear and unhappiness ( i.e. rising prices )

In recent years the power has moved from the traditional new outlets, and in to microblogs/facebook/Twitter etc.... its still news and it still drives sentiment, but that sentiment can be turned quicker now than ever, and have a wider reach too. 

But all it does is affect sentiment. The most powerful sales tool ever. 

16 minutes ago, Monkey said:

In recent years the power has moved from the traditional new outlets, and in to microblogs/facebook/Twitter etc.... its still news and it still drives sentiment, but that sentiment can be turned quicker now than ever, and have a wider reach too. 

But all it does is affect sentiment. The most powerful sales tool ever. 

what drives the sentiment of tweeters, microbloggers and facebook?

3 hours ago, nayth said:

what drives the sentiment of tweeters, microbloggers and facebook?

Events in the world.... not necessarily from journalists, or traditional news sources, but the same place the traditional news sources get their info from.

What i was trying to say is that not as many people get the paper or watch the x Oclock news, especially the younger generations, so its harder to censor or delay the news as it will find an avenue somewhere, amd quicker and without the codes of practice the traditional news outlets have to subscribe to.