House Price Crash Forum

Council Tax - No forwarding address

artyshaw

HOLA441

Hi,

I've just handed in my notice for a rental. No issues all good. Nothing outstanding bills wise etc etc.

I stopped my council tax direct debit and immediately got a letter. Just spoke to someone at the Council Tax office who kind of pee'd me off with her attitude. So I dug my heels in a little. 

Last paid Council Tax on the 22nd and I'm out on the 18th. Don't think there will be any arrears but I didn't want to give a forwarding address. She couldn't confirm and said she needed to send the letter. I said I will follow up with an email and for them to reply to that address.

Do I have to give a forwarding address? Is there any legal requirement?

I'm probably being a kn0b over it but she miffed me off

Thanks

HOLA442

Council tax is usually calculated on a daily basis but the calendar monthly payments are the total divided by ten (with 2 months of £0 payment at the end) and rounded up to the nearest pound, the odd pence difference is usually deducted from the first payment. If that's the case you could have overpaid and are due a refund, assuming that you've lived there for all this financial year (up to now).

AFAIK you don't have to tell them anything (unless of course you're staying in their catchment area) as you could not be sure where you're going, or moving overseas.

If you really want to go off the grid, give her an address in, say, Tanzania where there is no real postal service........

HOLA443

When I left my last rented flat they asked for my LL's name and address. I gave them the letting agents one as that was all I had.

Did leave an email address though and received an email about a month later to say that we were due a refund and that was paid straight away into my bank account

• 3 weeks later...
HOLA444

Thanks for the replies.

I got an email from another person stating they had sent the bill out to the address (so I'm assuming they sent it early)

I paid online and confirmed to them that I had done so :-)

Now have issues with the letting agents, so there's a new thread for that :-(