House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
lombardo

Keiser Report: ‘Help to Buy’ – Who did it really help?

What a pity you never get to hear stuff told like it is on the more mainstream channels - but of course, that is no accident.

I'd be surprised if RT is still on our screens in a year.  You can see the noose tightening already, especially with the Twitter business.

17 hours ago, Sour Mash said:

What a pity you never get to hear stuff told like it is on the more mainstream channels - but of course, that is no accident.

I'd be surprised if RT is still on our screens in a year.  You can see the noose tightening already, especially with the Twitter business.

Two of the best shows on standard TV are on RT - The Keiser Report and Cross Talk. Both have levels of discussion, guests and talking points that simply wouldn't be seen or aren't allowed on the more mainstream channels.

But as you say, they will probably ban it. Apparently discussion of anything outside the Western narrative is now banned and automatically means you must be a Russian agent. I expect them to ban internet sites and books next.

Edited by Errol

1 minute ago, Errol said:

Two of the best shows on standard TV are on RT - The Keiser Report and Cross Talk. Both have levels of discussion, guests and talking points that simply wouldn't be seen or aren't allowed on the more mainstream channels.

But as you say, they will probably ban it. Apparently discussion of anything outside the Western narrative is now banned and automatically means you must be a Russian agent. I expect them to ban internet sites and books next.

I agree with The Keiser Report Errol - but Crosstalk is boring - it keeps on talking about the same things but with different angles.

On 30/10/2017 at 3:09 PM, Errol said:

expect them to ban internet sites and books next

What, don't we burn books any more?

Love his "for the sake of impartiality" quips - the ant-matter equivalents of the few BBC ones, and a lot more honest.

On 30/10/2017 at 3:09 PM, Errol said:

Going Underground? Renegade?

The last few years has seen the MSM de-robed and shown up for what it is - a mass propaganda tool. There's no reason to be ill-informed today, yet hundreds of millions still are. Go figure.

Edited by Maynardgravy

On 10/29/2017 at 9:19 PM, Sour Mash said:

They banned Press TV. 

Work colleague is going to take the leap with HTB..!  Late 30s and claims will never be able to buy without the scheme.  Bemoans fact that all her friends bought with help from Bank of Mum and Dad...I think in a panic and seems oblivious to danger of crash.  Great timeing I think...I expect life will be blighted by the decision.

What do I say !!  So far I have hinted that this scheme's purpose is not to 'help' buyers but to inflate prices and boost builder profits but its no use..."must get on the housing ladder before reach 40"...its hysteria.  Presumably the view is that this hysteria will become permanent and last in perpetuity...it needs to if prices are to remain at current levels...any easing of the hysteria and the whole charade will come crashing down...can they keep it up...?  I wonder.

16 minutes ago, Wayward said:

Work colleague is going to take the leap with HTB..!  Late 30s and claims will never be able to buy without the scheme.  Bemoans fact that all her friends bought with help from Bank of Mum and Dad...I think in a panic and seems oblivious to danger of crash.  Great timeing I think...I expect life will be blighted by the decision.

What do I say !!  So far I have hinted that this scheme's purpose is not to 'help' buyers but to inflate prices and boost builder profits but its no use..."must get on the housing ladder before reach 40"...its hysteria.  Presumably the view is that this hysteria will become permanent and last in perpetuity...it needs to if prices are to remain at current levels...any easing of the hysteria and the whole charade will come crashing down...can they keep it up...?  I wonder

I worked with a lady mid 30's who bought on HTB  a few years ago , her and her husband paid £200,000 for a small 3 bedroom flat in Essex. They could have bought without using the scheme but said we will make use of the free loan. Last year they sold for £300,000 . However HTB took £20,000 of the profit as the HTB 20% had also risen. They had taken a £40,000 HTB loan which they had for 2 years. So the £20,000 payment on this worked out at an interest rate of about 25% a year. 

London HTB had then risen to 40% and they went on to buy a £600,000 2 bedroom flat in North London. Clearing credit cards they had built up and paying another £20,000 in stamp duty on this new flat they put down the required 5% deposit borrowed £330,000 on a mortgage and £240,000 form HTB. Her view was that they would never get to the point of starting to repay the £240,000 or interest on this money as they would sell in a few years take their profit and trade down. 

A few of us at work tried to explain that they would be better off not gambling on prices rising over the next few years and to buy the type of property that they were looking to trade down to in a few years now and be done with it. We explained that they would get only 60% of any profit (if there was any) and went through all the figures and if's and but's with her. She was aware of the risks but her want for the flat overrode and they went ahead. 

She is 38 next month her husband is 46 they have average jobs and apart from the couple of % going into pensions on this new government scheme have no other pensions or savings. I don't work with her anymore but bumped into her mother at the start of this year and she quoted her daughter as having woken up to what position she is in and was shacking with fear at the change in her own work circumstances ( which is not that good) and the state of the current market in London. 

Just a 15% drop in prices wipes any equity out anything more than that and they are in negative equity , if they cannot sell by the end of the 5 year period they will also then have to start payments on the £240,000 HTB loan. 

WE DID WARN HER.