House Price Crash Forum
MattW

Handing notice in on a private tenancy

I'm looking to move very shortly to another rented flat. I might end up getting the keys to the new place just after the monthly anniversary of my current tenancy. The anniversary of my tenancy is the 5th of each month and I anticipate that I may get the keys to the new place a week or two after this date.

I don't want the 2 tenancies to overlap too much.

My question is: Are landlords happy to accept, say '1 months notice plus 1 or 2 weeks' as the quitting date or does this always has to be 1 complete calendar month?

If it's the latter then the landlord will be getting almost 2 month's notice!

Your notice period shouldn't be linked to the anniversary of your tenancy, if you let them know let's say on the 14th, you'll have to vacate the flat by 13th next month and your last rent will be smaller to reflect that.

Great, thanks Paul77.

I'll give them slightly over a month's notice if I get the keys to the new place.

Edited by MattW

2 hours ago, Paul77 said:

Your notice period shouldn't be linked to the anniversary of your tenancy, if you let them know let's say on the 14th, you'll have to vacate the flat by 13th next month and your last rent will be smaller to reflect that.

I'm not sure that is correct.  I think your notice period is connected to monthly anniversary.

So if you pay on the 5th of the month, then your notice period is also the 5th of the month.

What this means in practice is this:  If you want to leave on the 15th of December, say, then you have to give notice on the 5th of November.  If you only give notice on the 15th of November, then you are committed to pay rent until the 5th of January.

4 hours ago, MattW said:

Oh bugger.

Looks like the 5th of January then.

Why don't you give notice on the 5th November?  That way you can leave at some point after the 5th December.

9 hours ago, lastlaugh said:

Why don't you give notice on the 5th November?  That way you can leave at some point after the 5th December.

I haven't seen the flat yet to be honest. I may not like it so it will probably be a 'no go' anyway. I may not get the keys until after that date, so I'm a bit wary of doing so.

Just a bit of a pain when these things happen right on the anniversary of the tenancy.

9 hours ago, This time said:

You could always ask the landlord - they might prefer a week or two before Christmas rather than the start of January.

Great idea. If I take the flat I'll hand my notice in giving the ultimate date of 5th Jan but with the option to leave at an earlier date (ie: before Christmas) for part of the rental payment. :)

On 10/30/2017 at 9:18 AM, This time said:

You could always ask the landlord - they might prefer a week or two before Christmas rather than the start of January.

Via a relative I heard about an empty rental that wasn't marketed. Phoned the landlord and viewed it mid December and took it. He hadn't marketed because he said he was waiting until early Jan. He said it was the best time of year to get tenants because so many people split up over Christmas. Maybe lipstick on the collar from office parties, wrong presents or just spending too much time together (with in-laws as well) instead of being at work?