House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

Catalonia Evento de Black Swan

4 minutes ago, Thorn said:

How would you say "Up Yours, Delors" in Catalan..?

Hasta el tuyo Delors.

The Catalonians have some passioante leaders who believe in autonomy...we have ex-banker Theresa May

Heard one of the many reasons Catalans are so fed up is lack of available housing for themselves and their families while some others there rent theirs out to well off tourists on AirBnB etc.

Sounded similar to here...

18 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Hasta el tuyo Delors.

The Catalonians have some passioante leaders who believe in autonomy...we have ex-banker Theresa May

I think May was more of admin assistent.

1 minute ago, Dogtanian said:

Well if she's the robot some say I'd wager something very basic like a photocopier or possibly fax

When did she work pre 90s?

Different world...

Indeed pretty minor issue so far they don't actually want to leave the eu anyway just be independent from spain. I cant see this snowballing much tanks will be sent in people arrested it's not like they had 90% support from the population of Catalonia anyway. Plus our government isnt recognising it anyway and i doubt the rest of the world is either.

1 hour ago, Calcutta said:

If Madrid sends in the tanks we might get a run on the Euro, then we're talking. Till then it's just more continental dust storms.

I discussed this with a pal and he made the reasonable argument - if civil war broke out, who would sell Catalonia weapons? Seriously?

2 minutes ago, Si1 said:

I discussed this with a pal and he made the reasonable argument - if civil war broke out, who would sell Catalonia weapons? Seriously?

Someone like George Soros funnelling former soviet eastern block arms through Europe then blaming the Russians prehaps.

8 minutes ago, Si1 said:

Why wouldn't we? It's good for GDP and we've armed some of the most unpleasant people in the world. 

If they could drag it out a bit, post Brexit I expect the UK might be desperate enough to trade anything with anyone.
Float the idea with Liam Fox (who's got previous form in this area) and the rest of the brexiteers...

Just now, DarkHorseWaits-NoMore said:

If they could drag it out a bit, post Brexit I expect the UK might be desperate enough to trade anything with anyone.
Float the idea with Liam Fox (who's got previous form in this area) and the rest of the brexiteers...

Looking forward to seeing Barca in the EPL

2 minutes ago, DarkHorseWaits-NoMore said:

All interesting points. Did Spain at all assist Argentina in the Falklands war?

6 minutes ago, sideysid said:

Someone like George Soros funnelling former soviet eastern block arms through Europe then blaming the Russians prehaps.

Or the Mafia. Any terrorist organisations around Europe. ETA, IRA etc?

23 minutes ago, Bsmf said:

Why wouldn't we? It's good for GDP and we've armed some of the most unpleasant people in the world. 

Except the EU is our biggest trading partner and we depend on electricity generated in France to keep the lights on. The UK will NEVER take the micro-nationalist side, it would be terrible for GDP.

1 hour ago, Si1 said:

This is why it is a good idea to have a gun or 2 at home, obviously if it was a really war you would need more than small arms, but if every independence minded Catalan had a gun, it would definitely make the Spanish government treat them differently.

3 hours ago, knock out johnny said:

And...

Capital flight has begun

Always ready with a positive comment on the ineluctable evolution of the EU through frightening but essential change.

5 hours ago, reddog said:

This is why it is a good idea to have a gun or 2 at home, obviously if it was a really war you would need more than small arms, but if every independence minded Catalan had a gun, it would definitely make the Spanish government treat them differently.

And if every pro-Spain Catalan had a gun they wouldn't have dared declare independence.

Or some other ******ing irrelevant justification for small arms.

Every Iraqi household had a Kalashnikov, how did that stop the American invasion or bring peace and stability to Iraqi afterwards? 

9 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

It seems Catalonia might be leaving the EU.

That's how to do it.

Oh is it? Catalonia don't have the ability, right of the democratic mandate to leave Spain, never mind the EU. And Catalonia, as a entity, has ceased to exist.

11 hours ago, Si1 said:

Small arms are fairly easy to come by, I'm sure they'd be inundated with offers. Copied AK-47 goes for 20 quid some places in Pakistan.

They're not seriously going to take on a modern military in a full scale conflict but many people's around the world have proved you really don't have to. A few truck fulls of fertiliser, big knives and camera phones, you've got yourselves an insurgency.

4 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

Oh is it? Catalonia don't have the ability, right of the democratic mandate to leave Spain, never mind the EU. And Catalonia, as a entity, has ceased to exist.

Sadly, that is the truth. Juncker has spoken. 'The EU doesn't need any more cracks or splits'.  One fully expects to see everything meted out to Catalonians that was done to separatists in Donbas . . . the region will be asset stripped, state pensions stopped, banking services withdrawn (worked a charm in Greece too) and other forms of collective punishment. Actually a war crime under the Geneva Convention but who cares. Maybe water and electricity cut off.