House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Si1

Theresa May the accidental landlord

"The register states that the property is worth more than £100,000 and brings in a rental income of more than £10,000 a year."

Yeah, that's a good chance she'll get at least that.

I don't think we should be surprised to learn the PM is a landlord?  I would have been staggered to learn she wasn't.

As I understand it Theresa's main residence is in Sonning, Berkshire so the London pad is a second home.  When back in Sonning she has neighbors like Jimmy Page, George Clooney and until not long ago Uri Geller.

Well at least it's not as bad as some of the MPs who claim expenses for their Dolphin Square pad plus for their 'office' back home in their private residence along with bills such as internet, telephone etc. Bonus if you employ the wife as a PA as well.

1 hour ago, Freki said:

Am I the only one to question the numbers? £10,000 for a central London flat ? That seems cheap, I would be happy to have her as my landlady

Of course it does. I assume that is the income not the revenue. The main figure that stands out is that the property is worth over £100k. Well that sounds like a major understatement. 

1 hour ago, Freki said:

Am I the only one to question the numbers? £10,000 for a central London flat ? That seems cheap, I would be happy to have her as my landlady

Its how they record things in the House of Commons register of financial interests... note the specific language in the link (my bold) "The register states that the property is worth more than £100,000 and brings in a rental income of more than £10,000 a year.

They dont actually need to state how much the flat is worth, only that its "more than £100k".... just a convenient way of avoiding saying how much financial interest they they have in keeping their property at sky high values!

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm/cmregmem/171023/Updates - 10-23 October 2017.pdf

May, Mrs Theresa (Maidenhead) 6. Land and property portfolio: (i) value over £100,000 and/or (ii) giving rental income of over £10,000 a year From 19 August 2017, flat in central London, owned jointly with my husband:

6 minutes ago, Freki said:

Interesting do we know what that means in terms of brackets? If the property was worth over £1M should it be stated as worth more than £1M

It appears there is only a lower threshold... and note this is for a "Land and property portfolio", not just per property... so they could have millions and only need to declare more than £100k value.... outrageous. About time they reviewed those guidelines and adjusted some thresholds!

See Category6 in the guidelines:

https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/cm201516/cmcode/1076/107604.htm#a6

3 hours ago, Freki said:

Perhaps she requires 'other services'

...Shudder

10 hours ago, This time said:

Would any of you sell your house when moving into work accommodation if you knew there was a good chance of it not lasting very long?

The central London flat isn't her home, she lives in Sonning in Berkshire:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3692795/Move-Chipping-Norton-Wall-wall-celebrities-English-Stilton-cheese-new-PM-lives-village-exclusive-makes-Dave-s-Oxfordshire-enclave-look-common.html