House Price Crash Forum
Saving For a Space Ship

190 Lloyds Pharmacy stores closing down 

2 hours ago, chronyx said:

There were two in the same high street where I used to live so maybe not as bad as it sounds 

They have aggressively (very much so*) targeted existing independent chemist shops, going back 25 years, putting them out of business. So that's probably why there were two on the same street - they used to be two independent chemists.

*My GP was scathing of them once, said they'd offered all the housebound OAPs free prescription delivery etc, something the small independent couldn't possibly match. As soon as the independant next door closed, BANG went the free delivery offer.

13 hours ago, Ash4781 said:

I saw an advert for online pharmacy. I wasn’t sure if this was an Amazon type operation. Your drugs will be delivered tomorrow. I need them now! 

Uncoincidentally, the Silicon Valley monopolists have just recorded another blow out quarter of revenue growth. 

Taxes are for little people.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/amazon-earnings-shares-surge/

22 hours ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Hardly a suprise, most earnings are being sucked up by rent seekers and out of control living costs, people are just scrapping by and they wonder why nobody is going on a spending spree in the soul destroying UK high street shops with sullen over worked and under paid staff on zero hour contracts. Especially when they can just click a button at home and get what they want cheaper with less hassle and stress. 

The UK government has cut the fees that they pay Lloyds and Boots for filling NHS prescriptions. This makes some pharmacies uneconomic hence the closures. 

Additionally Lloyds is owned by US giant McKesson which is having its own issues at home making it less able to deal with lower U.K. margins. 

I was actually thinking of becoming a pharmacist in the early 90s when it was a really well paying and well respected job (probably influenced by the fact that I have a couple of relatives that were pharmacists).

I didn't get the grades (there weren't many unis offering the course then so competition was high), and instead studied chemistry and then got into IT.

Since then pharmacists pay has gone through the floor, £20-25 is typical for locums, and about £35k for a permanent job, now well removed from a GP's salary.

Funnily enough, it makes me think what would happen to GP's salaries, if a bit of genuine technology innovation and competition was applied to the NHS.

23 hours ago, Errol said:

Around 4-5 staff per pharmacy, apparently.

I make that a cool 900 new entrepreneurs ready to enter the property game, bang down their severance on a cheeky two bedder in blackpool, fill it with scumbags, watch the coin roll in. Coin not rolling in fast enough, BOOM the rents just went up

guess this can only help GDP growth if everyone who loses their job goes into the business of rent farming, maybe this is a sly government policy to boost the coffers as we all know property pays better than actual working, good luck to em I say, just got to make sure theres enough scumbag renters lined up to fill these gaffs, and that the government keep paying em all their housing benefit on time

8 minutes ago, thewig said:

I make that a cool 900 new entrepreneurs ready to enter the property game, bang down their severance on a cheeky two bedder in blackpool, fill it with scumbags, watch the coin roll in. Coin not rolling in fast enough, BOOM the rents just went up

:lol::lol::lol: innit

13 hours ago, thewig said:

guess this can only help GDP growth if everyone who loses their job goes into the business of rent farming, maybe this is a sly government policy to boost the coffers as we all know property pays better than actual working, good luck to em I say, just got to make sure theres enough scumbag renters lined up to fill these gaffs, and that the government keep paying em all their housing benefit on time

13 hours ago, chronyx said:

:lol::lol::lol: innit

Keep packin' em in bruv

:D

15 hours ago, reddog said:

Funnily enough, it makes me think what would happen to GP's salaries, if a bit of genuine technology innovation and competition was applied to the NHS.

Sort of happening in that my GP practice now has a triage nurse who will call you back when you seek an appointment.  Not ideal, especially if you are medically literate and know when you should see a doctor.  Also a hassle as can take one to two days to call you back.  May move practices.  GP practices are private concerns so makes financial sense for them.  More patients, less doctors on higher salaries/profits.  Also gives the doctor the information to search Google before seeing you!  Also good if you are using newly qualified (cheaper) doctors.  Then when you finally get an appointment,  the doctor seems to be using his computer like a mechanic running some sort of diagnostic software.  Might as well give the software to triage nurses with the doctor providing oversight, like the self checkout machines in a supermarket!   Point is, GDP salaries/profits stay high.