House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
@contradevian

Watching voracious landlords screw every pound they can out of homeless families

http://www.katebelgrave.com/2017/10/we-housed-a-homeless-family-back-in-the-flat-theyd-just-been-evicted-from-landlord-decided-hed-get-more-from-a-nightly-let/

On voracious landlords getting as much money as they can for nightly lets:

“Nightly lets – you’re talking mostly about the crappiest accommodation in London, or outside of London.”

I’ll tell you a story about that [nightly lets]. There was actually a family that had been evicted from their house. They were [in] private rented. The landlord’s served a notice – “Oh, I want the property back.” The family were evicted about 9’o’clock that morning. They came into [the] council.

The officers said, “we’ll give you temporary accommodation.”

The accommodation that was given to them was the very house that they were evicted from that morning. That’s a true story.

Basically, the landlord’s realised that he can get more money for this property as a nightly let. [He’s decided] “I’m going to evict these people.”

He’s obviously gone to the council and said, “here’s a property that’s going to be available on this day. You can have it as a nightly let.”

“They’ve [the council] have gone, “Yeah, great.” Nobody’s quite put two and two together – you know, that this family over here has been evicted and over here is a property we can put them in… and it’s the same address…

They went to that flat. Imagine how pissed off they were. They’d been packing all their stuff up for three weeks and put it in storage.

They’re like, “where are we going?” [The council is like] – it [your new temporary accommodation] is very close to where you were living before, strangely enough, and you’re going back there, with the same landlord who evicted you. Now you’re going there. You’re paying more rent, by the way.”

You got to laugh, but it’s tragic.

[It’s because] – if a landlord’s going to rent something as an assured shorthold tenancy, they can only realistically expect to get something around the local housing allowance rate that’s going to be affordable.

If they doing it as a nightly let, they know that the council will possibly have to top that up on top of the housing benefit rate. They know the council can get a bit extra as a nightly let. Also, they [the landlord] are not really signed up to any contract if they’re letting it on a night by night basis. It’s a bit like having a hotel room. If they don’t like the person that’s in there, they can say, “well, ****** off. Don’t want this person. Send somebody else.”

I can see where this is going. The relatively short term and insecure "assured shorthold tenancy" is going to be considered highly secure in the not too distant future and a distant ambition of tenure!

Edited by @contradevian
add more content

What happens to people who are evicted but aren't entitled to benefits or to be rehoused, those earning just too much for anyone to give a shit but too little to compete with those on benefits/higher rents? I guess they just have to move out of London and find a place they can afford on their wage? Strange how their is a dual system, no wonder so few people take responsibility when they are effectively punished for doing so.

Edited by fru-gal

Just when you couldn't think that Rentierism in the UK could not sink any lower. :(

I was watching 'Council House Crackdown' on iPlayer yesterday (episode 1 of 3). A young couple in Peterborough with a baby ended up getting evicted (and into temp shared accommodation) because their landlord was turning the house into some sort of HMO for temporary lodgers. The irony. <_<

I wish councils would stand up to these parasites and refuse to pay their sky high rents. They really are taking the p!ss.

this is absolutely shocking

but im full of hope because of this, simply put this is the end game of the housing crisis. becuase with this increasing were gonna have the biggest crisis on our hands ever. every person affected by this will be an absolute hater of the way housing has gone in this country, and the people affected is growing and growing, the best a politician could hope for is the populance keep civil and vote a new system in. 

2 hours ago, guest_northshore said:

For a lot of people this country operates like a labour-camp, at landowners' pleasure.

I think we're meant to mellow with age, but I'm increasingly sympathetic to prospective non-violent & violent resistance.

But don't be brusque with trolls on HPC, that makes you a bully.

<_<

#northshorelogic

1 hour ago, RomfordDon said:

I do not blaim the landlord I blaim the laws in this country which make this possible.

I blame the guy who taught you to spell. Come on now?

Good point though, hate the game not the playa yo

But I do hate the DEBTjunkie people farmers. total scumbags

6 hours ago, thewig said:

I blame the guy who taught you to spell. Come on now?

Good point though, hate the game not the playa yo

But I do hate the DEBTjunkie people farmers. total scumbags

Yep my spelling is bad ?

I would like to see this get picked up by the all forms of main stream media. It really demonstrates that throwing state money at housing is just worsening the situation. Just hope that it hasn’t been fabricated.

11 hours ago, winkie said:

Would charge you rent for the air you breathe if they could......the air belongs to all, the rain and the heat from the sun.......;)

I once heard that if you collect rainwater in any kind of channel with flow, then you need to pay for it (if you were avoiding paying for water by not having a  mains supply). To collect sunlight, you need to have rights on the land, with all the usual options for economic rent. Nobody has figured out how to charge us for air yet, but I'm sure it will come.

10 hours ago, RomfordDon said:

I do not blaim the landlord I blaim the laws in this country which make this possible.

This is 100% the fault of the landlord.  

There's no law stopping your wife from s******g the milk-man, would that also be the fault of the government?  

Edited by DrBuyToLeech