House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
iLegallyBlonde

Omg Catch Them Young

I would love to see some of the answers todays youngsters give on that 'do you think its a bubble or not?' question................

When some of these bozos look back a few years they are going to wonder what the hell was going on in the government and the media............

It really does beggar belief where we are right now that they think there is even any doubt left as to whether we are in a bubble or not...............

Yep, if everyone went through that level of education (and remembered it through the haze of university etc. then we wouldn't be in such a mess.

Sorry chaps, Ive had a quick look through this link just wondered what spin you were referring too. Looks like basic economics to me.

Activity 4

Is there any evidence that countries other than the UK are suffering from a house price bubble, either nationally or in specific regions?

How might a booming house price market around the world have helped to save the world economy from a major recession?

So whats the problem with that question!

Its asking how it would help. The student would be expected to highlight the positives and negatives of this...

I was expecting something along the lines of why is a house price bubble in the UK never going to happen again!

Its asking how it would help. The student would be expected to highlight the positives and negatives of this...

I was expecting something along the lines of why is a house price bubble in the UK never going to happen again!

Hi,

Well, some academics on the principality of Rockall have already given an in-depth analysis of Britain's housing bubble. An interesting perspective on the uk's dependence on house price inflation to drive the economy.

http://www.therockalltimes.co.uk/2004/03/2...est-prices.html

First rule of doing an exam question: read the question.

Second rule doing an exam question: read the question again.

You will get NO MARKS for anything that does not specifically answer the question asked, which is:

How might a booming house price market around the world have helped to save the world economy from a major recession?

The marking guidelines would be looking for answers outlining how booming houseprices might prevent an economic recession.

Not:

What are the economic problems that arise from booming houseprices? How might booming houseprices merely delay a recession and actually make it worse when it eventually occurs? etc.. :)

Edited to add:

If this were an Oxbridge entrance exam you might get away with completely rejected the premise of the question itself and then go on to stun them with your superior out of the box thinking, backed by decisive reasoning... But not in an A-level paper.

Edited by DabHand

First rule of doing an exam question: read the question.

Second rule doing an exam question: read the question again.

You will get NO MARKS for anything that does not specifically answer the question asked, which is:

The marking guidelines would be looking for answers outlining how booming houseprices might prevent an economic recession.

Not:

What are the economic problems that arise from booming houseprices? How might booming houseprices merely delay a recession and actually make it worse when it eventually occurs? etc.. :)

So by the question "how might" you could answer the question they it "might" help it over the short term to delay recession within seperate countries which will stage the effect of recession and therefore take away the "global" aspect. For instance while the rest of europe has been struggling over the past 10yrs the UK economy has been in a very strong position, however this is only a short term prevention as eventually all bubbles burst which will still effect the UK in the long run even if it may aleviate(scuse spelling) the risk of a global recession...... (I am no economist and I know the answer is prob bolloxs but that is how I read the question and if I knew a little more about economics I may be able to give a more relevant answer!....)

Hi,

Haa, again, we need to look westwards, to the Island state of Rockall.

http://www.therockalltimes.co.uk/2002/12/0...use-prices.html

The stench of political desperation came after the Rotherham (East) Building Society released a report concluding that house prices would only rise by 9 per cent next year. The maintenance of a safe, sensible and civilised society is known to be impossible without yearly increases of at least 10 per cent.

Edited by boom_and_bust