Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
Thorn

Renters Don't Seem To Matter

Recommended Posts

Constantly struggling to Be a Productive Member of Society and Do The Right Thing while renting, but the lack of security of tenure means it's a constant Hunger Games-Style race to shelter the family.

I get the focus on the walking, the good moments, all that positivity bit.

But come eviction time, the Rage.

What stability hope is there on the horizon  for Renters? Or is it a life as a Nomad? In which case what country do you belong to and what's the point in voting or trying to get ahead?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is bizarre to be moving nicely along in one's career, approaching peak productivity and earnings, having kids etc and at the same time to know that some lucky greyhair who can't be bothered to fix the boiler and gutters in exchange for his £14k pa can put your whole family on the street in 2 months' time on a whim. Total mindfvck.

So tired of seeing ideologically self-satisfied Tory speeches about restoring the link between effort and reward. So get on with it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dorkins said:

It is bizarre to be moving nicely along in one's career, approaching peak productivity and earnings, having kids etc and at the same time to know that some lucky greyhair who can't be bothered to fix the boiler and gutters in exchange for his £14k pa can put your whole family on the street in 2 months' time on a whim. Total mindfvck.

So tired of seeing ideologically self-satisfied Tory speeches about restoring the link between effort and reward. So get on with it!

It doesn't smell right, sure it doesn't?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good evening sir and welcome. Ah I see you're a renter, please come right this way for a complimentary glass of Shut The Fück Up And Pay Me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have rented for 10 years - most recently the Dear Landlady bullied an 12% increase.  It is "screw the renter, see how much I can push".  This sheer greed made me think of her last night on TV when someone was hung, drawn and quartered.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Funn3r said:

Good evening sir and welcome. Ah I see you're a renter, please come right this way for a complimentary glass of Shut The Fück Up And Pay Me.

If it was good enough for your grandparents, it's good enough for you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Thorn said:

Constantly struggling to Be a Productive Member of Society and Do The Right Thing while renting, but the lack of security of tenure means it's a constant Hunger Games-Style race to shelter the family.

I get the focus on the walking, the good moments, all that positivity bit.

But come eviction time, the Rage.

What stability hope is there on the horizon  for Renters? Or is it a life as a Nomad? In which case what country do you belong to and what's the point in voting or trying to get ahead?

 

 

It doesn't matter who you vote for as long as you vote - Harvey Milk

Another good one is Bad politicians are elected by those who don't vote. 

Politicians don't make policies to get people out to vote, they craft policies to pander to those who do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Futuroid said:

If it was good enough for your grandparents, it's good enough for you

Ha ha. I can see the manifesto now, each provided with a special pair of magic glasses for comprehending political verbage. 

Warning!. Please wear these glasses when reading this pamphlet. Failure to use the correct glasses may result in confusion at broken promises,  anger, confusion and disappointment.

In other news, the government are finally looking at stoping gazumping and other disgraceful practices in the buying and selling of houses. I am sure its only a mater of time before the political parties look at the rental market and come to similar conclusions, unless of course renters are considered non-voters and therefore an irrelevant and lower form of life that is...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Switch625 said:

Ha ha. I can see the manifesto now, each provided with a special pair of magic glasses for comprehending political verbage. 

Warning!. Please wear these glasses when reading this pamphlet. Failure to use the correct glasses may result in confusion at broken promises,  anger, confusion and disappointment.

In other news, the government are finally looking at stoping gazumping and other disgraceful practices in the buying and selling of houses. I am sure its only a mater of time before the political parties look at the rental market and come to similar conclusions, unless of course renters are considered non-voters and therefore an irrelevant and lower form of life that is...

That was Northern Ireland before the Civil Rights Movement. 

You got a vote for the house you owned. And another vote for your business.

Renters didn't really count.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Switch625 said:

I am sure its only a mater of time before the political parties look at the rental market and come to similar conclusions, unless of course renters are considered non-voters and therefore an irrelevant and lower form of life that is...

Maybe it's already happened - there was a big increase in the turnout of younger voters at the 2017 general election and most younger people live in private rentals.

Trouble is it could be almost 5 years until the next general election. Maybe the Tories will start preparing for that election by putting some effort into winning private renters over with decent pro-tenant policies, maybe they will just ignore the problem and pay the price in 2022.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, adarmo said:

It doesn't matter who you vote for as long as you vote - Harvey Milk

Another good one is Bad politicians are elected by those who don't vote. 

Politicians don't make policies to get people out to vote, they craft policies to pander to those who do. 

Voting for a different actor, sorry I meant politician,  from the very similar party offerings certainly feels like a pointless exercise. 

Especially when the overall course of the country doesn't change. 

The submission of renters is the enabler. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Losing your home is a tragedy, if you own it.

Thousands of tenants lose their homes, through no fault of their own, every year. Somehow that doesn't matter.

Landowning used to be a requirement for votes in all of the UK.  Land owning requirements were still being introduced as late as 1918 and weren't fully abolished until after WW2. 

Some animals are more equal than others. 

Edited by DrBuyToLeech

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, adarmo said:

It doesn't matter who you vote for as long as you vote - Harvey Milk

Another good one is Bad politicians are elected by those who don't vote. 

Politicians don't make policies to get people out to vote, they craft policies to pander to those who do. 

Whilst i do agree with the sentiments .. I can't help but feel that democracy only lasts as long as it takes voters to realise they can vote themselves the contents of the treasury.

No idea who that quote can be attributed to, but there are always insiders and outsiders and when the insiders have too much power it's time to prepare for war. We're way way past that and getting into the holy lands of marginalising the poor and less able. Hopefully this one will dissipate at the generational shift that is upcoming .. but corruption spreads like cancer.

Personally ..I trace this one back to the myth of the benevolent capitalist. As a a capitalist by definition makes difficult conflicting choices on profit and loss that often hurt people - they are by definition not benevolent unless there is endless resource to squander.

To be clear .. if I have to take sides I would err more towards the capitalist. But oh .. how it's been squandered ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, KinkyJohn said:

Whilst i do agree with the sentiments .. I can't help but feel that democracy only lasts as long as it takes voters to realise they can vote themselves the contents of the treasury.

The opposite of course is for undemocrats to simply give themselves the contents of the treasury, which is exactly what they did and still do in a lot of places. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Thorn said:

Voting for a different actor, sorry I meant politician,  from the very similar party offerings certainly feels like a pointless exercise. 

Especially when the overall course of the country doesn't change. 

The submission of renters is the enabler. 

I get that but if all tenants did vote, and home owners and boomers didn't the property landscape would be very different. 

Some opinions on here are that as more and more people rent there will be increasingly better terms and lower house prices but that only follows if people vote. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, KinkyJohn said:

Whilst i do agree with the sentiments .. I can't help but feel that democracy only lasts as long as it takes voters to realise they can vote themselves the contents of the treasury.

No idea who that quote can be attributed to, but there are always insiders and outsiders and when the insiders have too much power it's time to prepare for war. We're way way past that and getting into the holy lands of marginalising the poor and less able. Hopefully this one will dissipate at the generational shift that is upcoming .. but corruption spreads like cancer.

Personally ..I trace this one back to the myth of the benevolent capitalist. As a a capitalist by definition makes difficult conflicting choices on profit and loss that often hurt people - they are by definition not benevolent unless there is endless resource to squander.

To be clear .. if I have to take sides I would err more towards the capitalist. But oh .. how it's been squandered ...

This reminds of this quote:

A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves largesse from the public treasury. From that moment on, the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most benefits from the public treasury with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy, always followed by a dictatorship. The average age of the world's greatest civilizations has been 200 years.

Good old boomers and home owners voting for loads of freebies. 

Get out and vote. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dorkins said:

Maybe it's already happened - there was a big increase in the turnout of younger voters at the 2017 general election and most younger people live in private rentals.

Trouble is it could be almost 5 years until the next general election. Maybe the Tories will start preparing for that election by putting some effort into winning private renters over with decent pro-tenant policies, maybe they will just ignore the problem and pay the price in 2022.

If you and a colleague are chased by a bear, all you have to do is outrun your colleague. You don't need to be a sprinting superstar, the best of two useless runners will be enough.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If a property crash gathers momentum, do Renters get more powerful?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Thorn said:

If a property crash gathers momentum, do Renters get more powerful?

Maybe not as powerful as we would like.

Out LL's have never used proper common sense and decency in many cases so instead of treating their tenants better they will still carry out the same knee-jerk emotional reactions as before. They may even become more adverse to carrying out repairs and maintenance. They may hate, despise and blame their tenants more.

WE still don't have a voice or control the media and political dialogue. We are in a sort of false war. I don't know the name for it but someone will. The media articles, TV programs, Radio programs still don't represent the views of the tenants or the people directly affected by the housing crisis. The arguments being played out there don't represent what renters think.

Although there is now media coverage of what they call the "housing crisis" it's mainly not communicating the arguments or feelings that renters have.  We are still ignored. I just find myself yelling at the radio or switching it off. Writing letters, emails, blogs, phoning, responding etc isn't working for us. 

It's still being controlled largely (there are one or two exceptions) by the interests supporting the LL's, building companies and older home owners to get their interests across. 

Edited by Flopsy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Flopsy said:

Although there is now media coverage of what they call the "housing crisis" it's mainly not communicating the arguments or feelings that renters have.  We are still ignored. I just find myself yelling at the radio or switching it off. Writing letters, emails, blogs, phoning, responding etc isn't working for us. 

I've been a renter of some sort for 30 years.  Mainly in the UK, but also Europe.  The media is still certainly blind to the issues effecting renters, but the political parties are not.  There is a rich seam of voters to be mined, and Labour is definitely on the case.  And to a lesser extent the Tories.  There is only one thing that seriously upsets renters, and that is Security of Tenure.  Perversely, that is one of the simplest things to fix.  Why it has taken 30 years is a travesty.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, lastlaugh said:

I've been a renter of some sort for 30 years.  Mainly in the UK, but also Europe.  The media is still certainly blind to the issues effecting renters, but the political parties are not.  There is a rich seam of voters to be mined, and Labour is definitely on the case.  And to a lesser extent the Tories.  There is only one thing that seriously upsets renters, and that is Security of Tenure.  Perversely, that is one of the simplest things to fix.  Why it has taken 30 years is a travesty.

 

And the bloody cost of course!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Trump Invective said:

And the bloody cost of course!

These days it's the life of a Nomad if you don't get help from Bomad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎22‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:44 AM, Funn3r said:

Good evening sir and welcome. Ah I see you're a renter, please come right this way for a complimentary glass of Shut The Fück Up And Pay Me.

we should totally go into business together, I've got a whole RAFT of smallprint in my ASTs just for the whiny scumbags like this one

 

thing is with this new breed of tenants, they're a bit craftier than the old lot, they've got ideas above their stations thanks to the fact they work full time "professional couples" etc. well I've got a way around that one, these working couples don't have time to read the smallprint BOOM so that's where my % margin goes. parking meter on the drive, additional charge to use the washing machine / pay as you go internet the works. 

 

not so smart now are you SUCKERS!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Flopsy said:

Maybe not as powerful as we would like.

Out LL's have never used proper common sense and decency in many cases so instead of treating their tenants better they will still carry out the same knee-jerk emotional reactions as before. They may even become more adverse to carrying out repairs and maintenance. They may hate, despise and blame their tenants more.

WE still don't have a voice or control the media and political dialogue. We are in a sort of false war. I don't know the name for it but someone will. The media articles, TV programs, Radio programs still don't represent the views of the tenants or the people directly affected by the housing crisis. The arguments being played out there don't represent what renters think.

Although there is now media coverage of what they call the "housing crisis" it's mainly not communicating the arguments or feelings that renters have.  We are still ignored. I just find myself yelling at the radio or switching it off. Writing letters, emails, blogs, phoning, responding etc isn't working for us. 

It's still being controlled largely (there are one or two exceptions) by the interests supporting the LL's, building companies and older home owners to get their interests across. 

I agree - the phrase "housing crisis" is bandied about but I'm not quite sure what those who use it actually mean by it.

I don't think they mean house prices (although if the price of food had risen similarly I've no doubt that would be considered a crisis) as any suggestion that house prices may fall is greeted with furrowed brows and concerned looks.

I don't perceive that the absolute level of homelessness has risen significantly in the last few years either.

The one thing that is clear is that a large proportion of the population now finds itself living in rented accommodation with very limited security of tenure.  How are people expected to raise families and invest in their local communities when this is the case?  Long term planning becomes impossible when one is only months away from being made homeless at the whim of a landlord.  This is not raised as being a significant feature of any housing crisis as far as I can see; yet its impact upon communities and peoples lives is clear.

As stated elsewhere on this thread it would be relatively simple to change this with a move to the style of tenancy legislation prevalent in much of Europe and North America (ie. you can only be evicted for non-payment of rent or damage to the property while rent increases are capped based on inflation).  Such a change wold be of no direct cost to the exchequer.  It can't really have escaped the notice of all the political parties can it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Exiled Canadian said:

As stated elsewhere on this thread it would be relatively simple to change this with a move to the style of tenancy legislation prevalent in much of Europe and North America (ie. you can only be evicted for non-payment of rent or damage to the property while rent increases are capped based on inflation).

Except that we have leveraged landlords massively indebted to the banks.

The banks don't want long term leases. The Government will do what the banks tell them.

An outright owning LL will happily sign a three year lease. A leveraged LL doesn't have that option, even if they wanted to. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 292 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.