House Price Crash Forum
@contradevian

Millenial Rail Card To Launch

Should help cash strapped millenials a bit

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2017/oct/20/millennial-railcard-launch-next-year-third-off-uk-train-fares

Sure this isn't entirely altruistic.

The less millennials spend on rail fares, the more they can be gouged for RENT!

I save a fortune with my Network Railcard (a third off on off-peak travel in the Southeast, within an area bounded by Cambridge, Oxford, Reading and Exeter).

if they're paying for this by scrapping my railcard I will not be happy!

Just realised I qualify for a senior railcard. Thought you had to be "retirement age" (for me 66 currently) but its available for 60+

As soon as I read this it reminded me of that episode in "The Thick of It" where they were promoting the "Carer's Pass" and the Tory MP just kept walking past the poster-boy-and-girl carers saying "Such vital work you do" in a massively insincere voice before going back to whatever else he was doing.

Brilliant. I can see what’s going to happen the next few years, they’re going to target under 30s, so people my age (33) will be the forgotten generation who are left to rot and suffer.

17 minutes ago, Tapori said:

Kids; don't listen to Corbyn and nationalise Branson's profits; look here's something to keep you sucked in. Look at the short term shiny!

Indeed. At this rate the Government will end up with a stake in 20% of the private housing stock & 33% of the train companies. While railing against social housing & nationalisation.

34 minutes ago, @contradevian said:

Just realised I qualify for a senior railcard. Thought you had to be "retirement age" (for me 66 currently) but its available for 60+

I think the only people that don't qualify for a railcard are single people with no kids in the 29-49 age group (a.k.a. "the marks").

2 hours ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

Cold it be another blow for the PCP car lease market ?

they prey on the young and naive  

Well the road and car lobby certainly influenced the Beeching "Cuts."

2 minutes ago, Futuroid said:

I think the only people that don't qualify for a railcard are single people with no kids in the 29-49 age group (a.k.a. "the marks").

I thought I qualified for a bus pass at 60. But only if you live in London apparently. I think of all those older City bankster types enjoying free tube travel

8 minutes ago, @contradevian said:

I thought I qualified for a bus pass at 60. But only if you live in London apparently. I think of all those older City bankster types enjoying free tube travel

I not sure "enjoying" is the correct verb to use. "Experiencing" might be better!

Rail travel is far to expensive....cheaper to get to Malaga 2000 miles away than many places in the UK daily annual cost forget it.....the cost of travel is detrimental to the economy, how many people have turned down good productive work because the time and the price of the travel is prohibitive.....loads.;)

Edited by winkie

So the government is buying people more train tickets on top of all the other subsidies. Them private railways are working out just dandy. Just like our QE based economy. I give up.

More subs for the rich middle classes. Who else can afford a train thesedays?

Should be a 50% off card for everyone, like the swiss have (had?).

Very many can no longer afford to pay for a train.....let the plane take the strain.....for now.....take it away  feet are made for walking or cycling....nothing is that far away....for now.;)

5 hours ago, Futuroid said:

And there I was thinking it was just paranoia. They ARE out to get me!

They already have a network railcard which gives everyone of any age these discounts -  but only if you travel in London and the south east. Not sure why it can't be extended to the whole country?

Fiddling around the edges. They just have not "got it" at all. Like others, I'm 37... How does this benefit me? I'll be paying for it after all. Awful if true.

2 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

They already have a network railcard which gives everyone of any age these discounts -  but only if you travel in London and the south east. Not sure why it can't be extended to the whole country?

+1. I travel a lot more because of the Network railcard. Happy to not own a car as the rail connections are good where I am. This card actually encourages people to travel more. Valid for 3 or 4 passengers too.