House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ash4781

Channel 4 news items - cleaners

I saw a news item on Channel 4 last night that started with an article about Cleaners in the UK. The article then went into something about people being stuck in a low wage jobs. Then the article  jumped to a student fellow from Bolivia who came to the UK to learn English but complained  could only find work as a cleaner. Leaves in a hovel with 12 strangers. Fights for the living wage through a union (cannot exist on the minimum wage). The chap speaks in what appears to be Latin Spanish (subtitled to English). Then the article morphed into an unfair dismissal analysis (hit jackpot?)because the employer used a random number generator to lay off the chap (i think it was the same guy). They then went back to the studio with some talking heads. I have no idea what they discussed. I'd really like to watch the article again to see if the article was as described? 

Cleaning is tough  but I am taken aback. Is this how it is in London?  

Edit: see link https://www.channel4.com/news/special-report-the-hidden-world-of-cleaners-and-their-rights

On 20/10/2017 at 6:07 PM, Ash4781 said:

I watched it. Video here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lZqpX9uO4oU

I wonder how many people people come from places like Bolivia to the UK thinking that it's the land of milk and honey. Only to arrive and share a barely adequate house with strangers and the dream dissolve into poop.

I remember the news idea mentioned him wanting to train as a social worker. Which is good as there is a chronic shortage of them. Details were a bit scant on whether or not he was actually studying.