House Price Crash Forum
oatbake

The HPC Message

I have been wondering lately whether there is an opportunity to raise awareness of the HPC cause through producing a video that could be shared on social media etc.

I think to have the most appeal, this would have to be apolitical and concentrate on this single issue... a positive message.

There is a great deal of sense spoken on this group but the wider population still do not seem to "get it". 

Ideas so far: 

- The lunacy of IO BTL and how landlords can outbid FTBs every single time (due to low interest rates).

- Why are high house prices seen as a good thing?

- Tax relief for landlords (They still get tax relief at the basic rate even after Section 24)

If done well, I can see this sort of thing *potentially* going viral. Deep down people know that house prices are behind many of the problems facing society today, especially young people. 

I have some basic knowledge with editing videos and 3D rendering for infographics etc.

Is this worth exploring? I might have a bit of a play with some ideas...

Just a thought...

8 minutes ago, oatbake said:

- The lunacy of IO BTL and how landlords can outbid FTBs every single time (due to low interest rates).

Definitely something I would share. With regards to the above point, I would add how housing benefit has made it so attractive at the tax payers expense. Why benefit is paid and who actually benefits.

Sounds like a plan. :) 

Don't forget how props artificially inflate house prices and LIAR LOANS spoiling things for us mere mortals.

36 minutes ago, oatbake said:

Is this worth exploring?

Absolutely! But regarding the content I have a few comments:

I'm not sure you can avoid being political. Bad policy has been behind the housing problems (sometimes intentionally and sometimes not). Perhaps you can avoid siding with particular parties or ideologies. You can point out that solutions may be found in liberalising the economy (allowing market forces to reduce prices) or greater intervention (massive government housebuilding, compulsory purchase of BTLs etc., much higher punitive taxes on landlords than is currently planned etc.).

Totally agree with this. I was speaking to my Chairman to be yesterday about this very issue, its something that makes him very angry, along with total lack of awareness of finances by the mass population.

If you can hold on about 4 weeks I can get the company to give you some expenses to support making this video.

I think this is a great idea. So many people are interested when you start to explain to them why house prices are so high- even boomers. 

I think you need to discuss politics as government intervention is one of the primary causes. I like the idea that there's no political bias- Dave and Gideon's btl clamp down should be advocated whilst some of their other policies highlighted as being detrimental. 

22 minutes ago, wsn03 said:

Totally agree with this. I was speaking to my Chairman to be yesterday about this very issue, its something that makes him very angry, along with total lack of awareness of finances by the mass population.

If you can hold on about 4 weeks I can get the company to give you some expenses to support making this video.

Excellent!

I've had a recent long chat with Venger about a potential solution to the mess too. 

It is one thing to raise awareness etc and I welcome that, but wouldn't it be fantastic if those of us on the forum could work together to try and come up with a solution and actually lobby the government to do so. 

I guess step one is to raise awareness and distribute the video..... great idea imho.

Just now, adarmo said:

I've had a recent long chat with Venger about a potential solution to the mess too. 

It is one thing to raise awareness etc and I welcome that, but wouldn't it be fantastic if those of us on the forum could work together to try and come up with a solution and actually lobby the government to do so. 

I guess step one is to raise awareness and distribute the video..... great idea imho.

I have thought this would be a good idea. +100

Is this similar to the 1% movement? They too consider that inequality is behind much of society's ills. But ultimately this is a power struggle between the haves and have nots. It's hard to imagine the power giving anything up willingly without a century defining catastrophe?

Don’t forget the other fundamental driver - credit. Who benefits from pushing 40 year, 4.5x joint salary mortgages - the banks, and the people who are totally selling up. You crystallise a boomers gains to be spunked away on cruises.

Solving the problem of the housing market is as simple as first time buyers finally realising what’s going on, and colluding to not over borrow.

I’ve seen ludicrous cases where people actually get annoyed with surveyors who value the house they are trying to buy less than the agreed price and then, instead of negotiating with the vendor, the buyer tried to convince the bank to lend them more. 

All we need is people to bid what is genuinely reasonable and affordable. Alongside that, a mass rent strike would kill btl like a stone.

i can dream. 

Edited by Frugal Git

14 minutes ago, Frugal Git said:

Don’t forget the other fundamental driver - credit. Who benefits from pushing 40 year, 4.5x joint salary mortgages - the banks, and the people who are totally selling up. You crystallise a boomers gains to be spunked away on cruises.

Solving the problem of the housing market is as simple as first time buyers finally realising what’s going on, and colluding to not over borrow.

I’ve seen ludicrous cases where people actually get annoyed with surveyors who value the house they are trying to buy less than the agreed price and then, instead of negotiating with the vendor, the buyer tried to convince the bank to lend them more. 

All we need is people to bid what is genuinely reasonable and affordable. Alongside that, a mass rent strike would kill btl like a stone.

i can dream. 

I agree with that.

3x Main Income plus 1 x Second in 1998 was £18k plus £6k = £60k houses

4.5x joint income in 2017 is £25k plus £15k = £180k houses

Using 2017 wages on 1998 multiples, houses should be £90k but that's not as much mortgage interest for banks.

I think raising awareness about Help to Buy Bail Banks would be a good idea. It seems lots of people don't realise houses re-sold at a loss means taxpayers hand money to bankers.

(Sadly this thread will no doubt shortly go the same way as many others)

Good idea.....push the unfairness of BTL at interest only, no income required, all down to potential rental income leveraged often against another bubble asset....also all the businesses/employers that would like to employ local people but for the fact that they can't themselves afford to pay the wages (a living wage) that would cover the high cost of the employees local housing expenses....;)

22 minutes ago, Frugal Git said:

This is what you'll be up against - if you campaigned for removing HTB (for instance) then you'll be the nasty person that stopped a young couple buying their dream home :(

Wasn't there a great poster someone did with all the key points about the negatives about high house prices??

I might be repeating what's already been said here (apologies) but an approachable, easy to understand (and short) video covering those same points would be ideal, we could all then re-post on our facebooks/twitters. My gormless friends are much more likely to watch a short youtube clip than click on an article link from the Wall St Journal, for example.

P.s. great idea OP

P.P.S. possible idea for title? - "Why high house prices are bad for everyone"

Should start a 'renters union', basically a huge group which has access to a lot of good vetted tenants on tap.

But to access these good tenants you must charge below market rate for rent (based upon the average rent in the area -30%).

Eventually all good vetted tenants would be in the union, which has total pricing power over rents. All the poor quality tenants (who dont pay), are left for those expensive land-lords.

if you evict or try and raise rent, or dont impose the yearly 1% rent reduction you are banned from accessing the tenants unions supply of tennants.  

4 hours ago, oatbake said:

I have been wondering lately whether there is an opportunity to raise awareness of the HPC cause through producing a video that could be shared on social media etc.

I think to have the most appeal, this would have to be apolitical and concentrate on this single issue... a positive message.

There is a great deal of sense spoken on this group but the wider population still do not seem to "get it". 

Ideas so far: 

- Why are high house prices seen as a good thing?

- Tax relief for landlords (They still get tax relief at the basic rate even after Section 24)

If done well, I can see this sort of thing *potentially* going viral. Deep down people know that house prices are behind many of the problems facing society today, especially young people. 

I have some basic knowledge with editing videos and 3D rendering for infographics etc.

Is this worth exploring? I might have a bit of a play with some ideas...

Just a thought...

Top idea. Frizzers should be contacted. Loved his nice vid about loading Housing software onto a computer etc. Bland Unsight too. We could all contribute if Frizzers would front it.