House Price Crash Forum
spyguy

Forget houses, invest in EAs

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/education-41653983/the-19-year-old-millionaire-estate-agent

When did th BBC start taking rejects from the Express?

'Akshay Ruparelia, 19, set up an online estate agent while he was studying for his A-levels.

He set the company up because he thought commissions were too high.

He currently charges £99 to sell a property.

The company, Doorsteps.co.uk is now valued at £12m and is the 18th biggest estate agent in the UK.'

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10543118/filing-history

48 minutes ago, spyguy said:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/education-41653983/the-19-year-old-millionaire-estate-agent

When did th BBC start taking rejects from the Express?

'Akshay Ruparelia, 19, set up an online estate agent while he was studying for his A-levels.

He set the company up because he thought commissions were too high.

He currently charges £99 to sell a property.

The company, Doorsteps.co.uk is now valued at £12m and is the 18th biggest estate agent in the UK.'

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/10543118/filing-history

How can it be worth £12 million when it was only set up a few months ago?

31 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Set one up, don't invest in one to be clear. £99 to sell a property.....not good for the likes of Purple Bricks. The Market looks crowded.

From the job figures yesterday EA's were plumb last in the pile of wage increases ..for the traditional high street ones charging 1000's for doing nothing much they good times are over I suspect 

https://doorsteps.co.uk/index.php#how

Looking at that even 99 quid seems high ..all they do is take pictures and put it on right move ..you host the viewings yourself. How long until Rightmove etc just allow sellers to advertise directly themselves ? 

8 minutes ago, fru-gal said:

I guess the site was setup a while ago and they only recently created and incorporated a limited company.  There are scripts and template sites setup for this exact purpose.  I can't see how it can be worth £12million though.

2 minutes ago, Nabby81 said:

From the job figures yesterday EA's were plumb last in the pile of wage increases ..for the traditional high street ones charging 1000's for doing nothing much they good times are over I suspect 

Looking at that even 99 quid seems high ..all they do is take pictures and put it on right move ..you host the viewings yourself. How long until Rightmove etc just allow sellers to advertise directly themselves ? 

This has also been done before, I've seen other sites offering the same services for £79.  I don't think they lasted long.

I'll have you know I set up a company at 8.02 this morning and it is was valued by my alcoholic neighbour at 9.17am as being worth £125 million. This time next week I will be a billionaire Rodders!

1 hour ago, fru-gal said:

some #vileBBC senior manager has gone balls deep and is 'ramping' his investment innit?

1 hour ago, Nabby81 said:

Assuming there's no ctaches ad it does cost 99 for  what they say then they will be losing money.

There's far more than $99 in labour cost in what they are promising - visit, piccies, listed etc etc.

Bare minimum - piccies, value,, listed on web, Id reckon a no commission Ea faces costs of ~600 per house.

8 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Assuming there's no ctaches ad it does cost 99 for  what they say then they will be losing money.

There's far more than $99 in labour cost in what they are promising - visit, piccies, listed etc etc.

Bare minimum - piccies, value,, listed on web, Id reckon a no commission Ea faces costs of ~600 per house.

Indeed. You'd have a job even covering the Rightmove fees at £99 per property.

For £99 quid you get a boy with a sandwich board and a megaphone, shouting about original features, south-facing aspect and there's an Open Day on Saturday....

11 minutes ago, juvenal said:

For £99 quid you get a boy with a sandwich board and a megaphone, shouting about original features, south-facing aspect and there's an Open Day on Saturday....

:lol::lol: class bruv, you been reading my business plan

45 minutes ago, Broken biscuit said:

Indeed. You'd have a job even covering the Rightmove fees at £99 per property.

Classic dotcom tactic.....don't worry about the bottom line. You've got revenue, a snip at 12 million for the business.

40 minutes ago, juvenal said:

Employ him in some third world economy and point a web cam at him. $1 a day if his lucky.

Now you're a global enterprise.:D

Globalisation means to don't need to worry about losing your slaves on the long sea voyage. They can be exploited at source.

Edited by Lord D'arcy Pew
grammar

23 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Classic dotcom tactic.....don't worry about the bottom line. You've got revenue, a snip at 12 million for the business.

Profits can wait. It's a land grab...

2 hours ago, spyguy said:

He's got over 1000 listings so he got his £100k for the year. rightmove subscription is about £7k per annum probably the same for some crappy call centre or take the calls. The extra £100 for photos and floor plans is break even. Outsourced to niche or the like.

1 hour ago, houseface2000 said:

He's got over 1000 listings so he got his £100k for the year. rightmove subscription is about £7k per annum probably the same for some crappy call centre or take the calls. The extra £100 for photos and floor plans is break even. Outsourced to niche or the like.

No.

He cannot outsource sending someone round to take photos and enter the details.

There's probably 3h work involved just with that.

Never mind runnign the server, office rent, RM subs etc.

6 minutes ago, spyguy said:

No.

He cannot outsource sending someone round to take photos and enter the details.

There's probably 3h work involved just with that.

Never mind runnign the server, office rent, RM subs etc.

High street Estates agents currently outsource floor plans and photography to company's like Niche and Floorplanz. This is what happened when I sold my flat. Took 45 minutes all in. 

Hes outsourcing enquiries etc to a call centre no office needed. Please explain NO he can't outsource. Why can't he ?

6 hours ago, zugzwang said:

Profits can wait. It's a land grab...

"Sure, we lose money on every transaction ... but we'll make up for it in volume."