House Price Crash Forum

It’s time for the Tories to embrace Generation Rent

Spirit

HOLA441

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/rohan-silva-it-s-time-for-the-tories-to-embrace-generation-rent-a3660641.html

"The scale of the problem is immense. People born in the mid-1980s are more than twice as likely to be living in rented accommodation as older people. As a result, those born in the 1980s have only half the wealth by age 31 as people born in the 1970s.

Fixing the issue requires radical reform of the bureaucratic planning system to enable millions more homes to be built — as well as bold property tax changes to help fund the construction of council housing across the country.

But this would risk hitting existing homeowners (and Tory voters) — either with falling house prices if more homes are built, or with higher taxes".

HOLA442
HOLA443

yeah but these youngsters (under 45s) CHOOSE to live this way, they prefer to spend their wages on ipods and coffee, we never had ipods and coffee when we were younger, spent all our money on a house, then sat back and let inflation do the business, thirty years later, 2000% ROI. BOOM.

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446

I love all this. Keep touting the message its about supply. Watch as millions of new homes get built, as interest rates start to rise. Only when its far too late will people realise it was only about credit, and by then there will be far too many houses to sustain anything remotely realistic to propping up a Ponzi.

This incorrect message of supply will only accelerate the house price party decline. Fantastic. I only wish it could come sooner for all the people who need a house now.

HOLA447
17 minutes ago, EmmaRoid said:

I don’t suppose young people buy/consume newspapers either. 

Ths standard is free nowadays though? I picked some up on a recent trip to london as i line my kids rabbit hutch with free papers. Usually the metro, but i thought they deserved a treat as id been to the big smoke. 

HOLA448
1 hour ago, Spirit said:

https://www.standard.co.uk/comment/comment/rohan-silva-it-s-time-for-the-tories-to-embrace-generation-rent-a3660641.html

"The scale of the problem is immense. People born in the mid-1980s are more than twice as likely to be living in rented accommodation as older people. As a result, those born in the 1980s have only half the wealth by age 31 as people born in the 1970s.

Fixing the issue requires radical reform of the bureaucratic planning system to enable millions more homes to be built — as well as bold property tax changes to help fund the construction of council housing across the country.

But this would risk hitting existing homeowners (and Tory voters) — either with falling house prices if more homes are built, or with higher taxes".

They'd rather hug a leper.

HOLA449
HOLA4410

The digital camera didn't kill Kodak, it was Instagram that killed Kodak. Or more precisely, it was the monopoly capitalists and Libertarian thugs of Silicon Valley that killed Kodak.

And the incompetent fools at the Fair Trade Commission who let them get away with it.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412

Renting is not the problem....it is the TYPE and CHOICE or lack of it, HOW people rent in this country that is the problem ie insecure, unregulated, short-term, no limits to cost or fees, lack of investment to improve renting stock, no stake.....changes to how people can rent will have to happen if people are unable or not prepared to buy......;)

HOLA4413

Blah blah blah build build build housing shortage.

Remember:

• Newbuilds feel like they're built of cardboard.
  • Newbuilds don't have cupboards.
  • Newbuilds have one too few rooms, with kitchen cabinets along the wall of their 'open plan' living room.
  • Newbuilds are often built on flood plains.
  • New towns are going to be miles outside of the city centres and nowhere near a rail or tube station.
  • New towns will be designed around cars.  No-one wants to be forced to use a car any more.  It's not the 70s.
  • Newbuilds are massively overpriced, thanks to George Osborne's Help to Buy.

They should be knocking down terraces and building stone apartment blocks like there are in New York or Berlin, or like the Victorians did in the 19th century.  But they won't.  They'll build hundreds more tiny, ugly 'luxury apartment' office blocks on flood plains, at best.  Or cramped semi-detached boxes with low ceilings on cul-de-sacs - even more uninspiring.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
1 hour ago, winkie said:

Renting is not the problem....it is the TYPE and CHOICE or lack of it, HOW people rent in this country that is the problem ie insecure, unregulated, short-term, no limits to cost or fees, lack of investment to improve renting stock, no stake.....changes to how people can rent will have to happen if people are unable or not prepared to buy......;)

All these things are details, the main thing that needs to change is the price. There was a survey not too long ago where it showed that about 60% of current private renters would rather buy (and yes that includes me). The trend towards renting is all about the price and nothing to do with more people wanting to rent. Both renting and buying need to be a lot cheaper, housing needs to be cheaper.

Edited by goldbug9999

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
27 minutes ago, goldbug9999 said:

All these things are details, the main thing that needs to change is the price. There was a survey not too long ago where it showed that about 60% of current private renters would rather buy (and yes that includes me). The trend towards renting is all about the price and nothing to do with more people wanting to rent. Both renting and buying need to be a lot cheaper, housing needs to be cheaper.

Yes I did say there are no limits to costs or fees.....so before AST people still rented privately, their rents were protected set as fair rent by the rent officer for type and area and tenants had recourse to a rent tribunal service that worked so not many had the need to use it.;)

https://www.gov.uk/private-renting/changes-to-a-regulated-tenancy