House Price Crash Forum
Errol

China's leader is one of us - 'Housing Is For Living Rather Than Speculation'

Xi Jinping's Speech: "Housing Is For Living Rather Than Speculation"

Xi Jinping delivered a three and a half-hour speech at the opening of China’s 19th Party Congress, the once in five years mega-Communist Party gathering, to herald a ‘new era’ of power, consolidating his position as perhaps the most influential Chinese leader in decades. While he did lay out  guidelines to develop China in this ‘new era’, bottom line: Heavy in superlatives, light on specifics.

It was the year's most carefully politically-staged global event, best understood by the related trivia gleaned from party officials. The drafting process involves 4,700 individuals, 59 organisations, reports from 25 think tanks, nine research committees and 6 discussion forums, hosted by Xi, to hear suggestions. Xi walked into the Great Hall of the people to marching band music with delegates clapping in time. When highlighted the role of Marxism in 21st century China, he was greeted by lots of applause from delegates.

Perhaps the most interesting question is how much significance should be attached to Xi’s comment  "housing is for living rather than speculation''… a soundbite which he reiterated.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-10-18/xi-jinpings-speech-housing-living-rather-speculation

Edited by Errol

Let me guess how the #vileBBC report on this particular aspect of the speech. I'm going to guess they ignore it and instead focus on the big red baddie over there in that scary country with no freedom.

5 minutes ago, winkie said:

Are foreigners/non residents allowed to buy property in China I wonder?;)

Probably but then they'd just turn around and take it off you before booting you out should they see fit :)

50 minutes ago, Errol said:

Xi Jinping's Speech: "Housing Is For Living Rather Than Speculation"

Xi Jinping delivered a three and a half-hour speech at the opening of China’s 19th Party Congress, the once in five years mega-Communist Party gathering, to herald a ‘new era’ of power, consolidating his position as perhaps the most influential Chinese leader in decades. While he did lay out  guidelines to develop China in this ‘new era’, bottom line: Heavy in superlatives, light on specifics.

It was the year's most carefully politically-staged global event, best understood by the related trivia gleaned from party officials. The drafting process involves 4,700 individuals, 59 organisations, reports from 25 think tanks, nine research committees and 6 discussion forums, hosted by Xi, to hear suggestions. Xi walked into the Great Hall of the people to marching band music with delegates clapping in time. When highlighted the role of Marxism in 21st century China, he was greeted by lots of applause from delegates.

Perhaps the most interesting question is how much significance should be attached to Xi’s comment  "housing is for living rather than speculation''… a soundbite which he reiterated.

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-10-18/xi-jinpings-speech-housing-living-rather-speculation

Believe what they do, not what they say

14 minutes ago, winkie said:

Are foreigners/non residents allowed to buy property in China I wonder?;)

:lol:...I think you know the answer to the question...the market is very restricted for foreigners.  The UK's policy on foreigners buying resi property is actually quite rare, most other countries seek to protect their populace.  Evidently the powers that be in the UK don't have such concerns

8 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Never judge a man by the company he keeps.

Dave and his cohort have done very well from Asian money flowing into and inflating the price of housing in the UK...his poorer and younger constituents have done less well, they have been sold down the river and have a grim future.

1 hour ago, Wayward said:

:lol:...I think you know the answer to the question...the market is very restricted for foreigners.  The UK's policy on foreigners buying resi property is actually quite rare, most other countries seek to protect their populace.  Evidently the powers that be in the UK don't have such concerns

Well Europe in general is willing to let anyone buy anything. In Portugal you get a passport for buying half a mil on RE.

5 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

Believe what they do, not what they say

This may be one of the rare cases where you should believe what he says: it's a very hierarchical society, and all the lower ranks will be falling over themselves to do things that align with what Mr Jinping says. That doesn't mean that influential politicians will stop speculating on property, but it might mean that they will visibly punish lower ranking politicians who do so too openly. Whether that's enough to turn things around properly, I don't know, but I think there will be changes.

5 hours ago, Odysseus said:

What will the Chinese gamble their money on now?

Everything else. ^_^

It's a cultural thing. Like Irishmen and alcohol, or Americans and guns.

13 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Everything else. ^_^

It's a cultural thing. Like Irishmen and alcohol, or Americans and guns.

Except the last time I was in China they forbid gambling. Had to go to Macau...

Cheaper housing makes a country more competitive economically. 

Let the ass kicking of the UK continue until we are forced to have a real economy where work, productivity and business are valued.