House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Fairyland

Busy parents, depressed children ...

DT: Esther Rantzen: Decline of the housewife leaves children with no-one to talk to

The decline of the housewife and the addiction to being busy is leading a generation of children to depression and anxiety, Esther Rantzen has warned. 

The Childline founder said that children have no-one to turn to because their parents are constantly working and have no time to talk to them about their problems. 

Speaking to mark the launch of new NSPCC figures showing that Childline carried out 22,456 counselling sessions in 2016 with children as young as 10 who were suffering with suicidal thoughts, up 15 per cent from the previous year, she warned that "hectic lifestyles" were endangering child mental health.

I understand there is a pressure for both parents to work to keep a roof over their head and put food on the table. However, this is very worrying. 

Edited by Fairyland

58 minutes ago, Fairyland said:

DT: Esther Rantzen: Decline of the housewife leaves children with no-one to talk to

I understand there is a pressure for both parents to work to keep a roof over their head and put food on the table. However, this is very worrying. 

Why "However"?  You mean "Therefore."

Rantzen is quite right.

And as ever, many parents (particularly mothers) could indeed stay at home if housing costs weren't so high.

Sad but true. Parents are left with two basic options, either play the benefits system and have your kids grow up on a sink estate or both work constantly, pap the kids off on childminders and try to pay off a mortgage. 

If an adult working full-time can't afford to at least rent a house and support their family without begging the government for charity then there's something wrong imo.

15 minutes ago, Qetesuesi said:

Rantzen is quite right.

And as ever, many parents (particularly mothers) could indeed stay at home if housing costs weren't so high.

The day they switched from 3x main + 1 spouse to 4x combined was the day that family life ended.

Breaking out of the modern grind can be done, though. I've often thought that the scourge of poor mental health has far-reaching roots and consequences.

I work condensed full time four days per week. I see my kids around four hours a day on working days, all day for the other three days. Wife works two days per week.

No debt. Nothing on tick. Rent. Save a little. Run old cars bought for cash. See family. Do stuff.

I'm no WICAO, but it's a good life. Better than what I used to do for more money.

The happiness surveys have been recording this for decades: women are unhappier than ever, despite/because of their sexual and financial 'liberation', men and children the same.

Halve the wage, double the workers and to hell with the kids. How's that worked out?

But at least we all have 50 inch flat screens........

2 minutes ago, ThoughtCriminal said:

The happiness surveys have been recording this for decades: women are unhappier than ever

The understanding of this comes from taking the red pill. Part of the hypothesis is that women, generally, like to be able to look up to a husband, and enjoy being led, and feeling protected. A woman in the job market has to compete like a man, attain the educational of a man, and act like a man....and then she finds she no longer respects her spouse when she returns home from the office because she has equal status. It's a lose-lose situation.

3 hours ago, Noallegiance said:

Breaking out of the modern grind can be done, though. I've often thought that the scourge of poor mental health has far-reaching roots and consequences.

I work condensed full time four days per week. I see my kids around four hours a day on working days, all day for the other three days. Wife works two days per week.

No debt. Nothing on tick. Rent. Save a little. Run old cars bought for cash. See family. Do stuff.

I'm no WICAO, but it's a good life. Better than what I used to do for more money.

This is where its at, its still possible to get a happy balance but it takes some planning, effort and some thought/compromise - reject materialism, try to live in the moment. Bangernomics has saved me a fortune.

8 hours ago, Millaise said:

The understanding of this comes from taking the red pill. Part of the hypothesis is that women, generally, like to be able to look up to a husband, and enjoy being led, and feeling protected. A woman in the job market has to compete like a man, attain the educational of a man, and act like a man....and then she finds she no longer respects her spouse when she returns home from the office because she has equal status. It's a lose-lose situation.

Exactly right.

I'd say most women have always been red pill as the number I'm personally aware of who say they'd love to have been a housewife is almost %100.

Barely any women in the UK identify as feminist.

Declining mental health is on the rise, it starts from childhood.... different reasons but loneliness, isolation, growing pressures and high expectations to succeed, trying to fit a square peg into a round hole......not forgetting people are having fewer children, often only one and many of them come home to an empty home apart from a device to play/talk to.....sad state of affairs really.;)

1 hour ago, ThoughtCriminal said:

Exactly right.

I'd say most women have always been red pill as the number I'm personally aware of who say they'd love to have been a housewife is almost %100.

Barely any women in the UK identify as feminist.

Never heard the term red pill but having now checked out what it means it sounds like a sexist concept to me.  Women may be united by gender, and like men are different as individuals.  High house prices are definitely putting a pressure on society in general.  I think to say 100% of women want to be housewives is ludicrous.  However for happy families, for women to have the choice to be a housewife if they so choose would be a much better scenario.  

There may be other reason behind kids' unhappiness; the number of young mums glued to their mobile phones for start, lack of any real mental health provision on NHS and people tending to live away from extended family networks may also be playing a part and kids seem to be under intense pressure to perform academically these days too.  It is very sad.

11 hours ago, Qetesuesi said:

Rantzen is quite right.

Hilarious coming from a boomer.

Comment re today's drop in unemployment;

Senior ONS statistician Matt Hughes said: "Many labour market measures continue to strengthen. Employment growth in the latest three-month period was driven mainly by women, with a corresponding drop in inactivity."

11 hours ago, ThoughtCriminal said:

The happiness surveys have been recording this for decades: women are unhappier than ever

It's because feminism and the perverted authorities/Governments who pursue its more extreme objectives have created a world where women can't be women. They are instead telling women to be men and this just won't work. Will never work.

16 hours ago, CunningPlan said:

The day they switched from 3x main + 1 spouse to 4x combined was the day that family life ended.

Spot on!  When both parents are farmed by Banksters or BuyToLeach, that killed any notion of  human purpose of family to nurture, emotionally educate, and enrich.  Parents are only breeders for the next farmed generation. No wonder the birth rate is falling.

A wider family unit may have helped but, surprise, it was only as the boomers became adults, the notion of the nuclear family rose to give them more financial and social freedom.

Any talk of feminism failing is reactionary boomer wailing diverting the subject.  Without Mortgage / Rental concerns both parents (regardless of sex) could rebalance work loads and give time to family. Instead they have to push for any sort of payrise to offset inflation and commute god awfall hours because they can't get into the town closest to work.

I need to lie down before the throbbing in my temple gets worse!

As women have entered the workforce, their earnings have been used to outbid each other to live in exactly the same type of property women lived in before they joined the labour force en masse. Their wages are being handed over to bankers in the form of additional mortgage interest on larger loans and to their Boomer parents who bought a property with 3x single earnings rather than 4x joint.

12 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

As women have entered the workforce, their earnings have been used to outbid each other to live in exactly the same type of property women lived in before they joined the labour force en masse. Their wages are being handed over to bankers in the form of additional mortgage interest on larger loans and to their Boomer parents who bought a property with 3x single earnings rather than 4x joint.

the #vileBBC says you sir, are a sexist pig from the stoneage, why would they LIE?