House Price Crash Forum

Are we on the brink of social collapse?

Midlifemum

3 hours ago, thewig said:

true dat but my point was the establishment scumbags need a benefits class for the plebs to sneer downwards at lest they dare direct their sneer upwards toward the real culprits

these poor people have been socially engineered to be this way, I can't hate millions of people for being disadvantaged in a corrupt feudal society 

This post should be a sticky.

5 hours ago, Up the spout said:

In the middle, it's just too slow to be noticeable.

Yes, the socio-political implosion of the UK definitely feels like a drawn out "Death by a Thousand Cuts" process and toleration for long hours with low productive output for decreasing pay, temporary cramped accommodation, and no guranteed pension is causing resentment (but it's a low level resentment and alienation).

I don't expect Brits and others in developed countries storming the Bastion or having a violent Spring, but they'll certainly vote with their feet, have more passive resistance, turn to crime or turn inwards (and the Western states and multinationals physically stop functioning properly, like with Uber and Ryanair lately, but on a much larger scale).

I can't see flames and pitchforks coming any time soon. I think it's human nature to take the path of least resistance so people just don't think about it. That or everyone's just got use to living in HMOs and have stopped expecting more from life. There won't be any violence or proper protests until there's a majority of people are as angry at the situation as we are on HPC. 

1 hour ago, frederico said:

Having returned from a brief visit to London , I would say that it didn't really feel British to me anymore, just some sort of enclave where what you might describe as traditional Anglo Saxon has become a minority, this helps to explain a lot of the things that go on.

For the first time I felt really worried about what might soon be left of the things I really love and treasure in the UK .

One very real problem is that it is so completely unrepresentative of the rest of the UK. Yet our government, our civil service and our state broadcaster only really know London.

So I don't think there will be social unrest because the indigenous population has been marginalized.

Now you're DEFINITELY a thought criminal........

Londonistan isn't England. That explains a lot about our ruling class and their attitudes to anyone that doesn't share their opinions.

A life lived insulated by money from one's opinions explains everything.

5 hours ago, ThoughtCriminal said:

Societal collapse is inevitable but it's nothing to do with money.

We were once united by religion, culture and ethnicity.

Now we're united by........nothing.

there's something in this but not the way you mean.

Religion is the greatest control mechanism the elites have got. Convince a load of people to behave themselves as they will get their reward in a mythical afterlife - job done. We were well on our way to ridding ourselves of stone-age myths and then they decided to import a load more.

It really gets my goat. You see it all over YouTube comments for vids on pedophilia cover-ups, false flags, 9-11, greedy bankers etc. 'They'll get their comeuppance in the next realm, blah, blah...'.

No they won't.

23 minutes ago, Maynardgravy said:

there's something in this but not the way you mean.

Religion is the greatest control mechanism the elites have got. Convince a load of people to behave themselves as they will get their reward in a mythical afterlife - job done. We were well on our way to ridding ourselves of stone-age myths and then they decided to import a load more.

It really gets my goat. You see it all over YouTube comments for vids on pedophilia cover-ups, false flags, 9-11, greedy bankers etc. 'They'll get their comeuppance in the next realm, blah, blah...'.

No they won't.

how do you know they won't? I'm not saying they will, I'm saying you don't know for certain, unless you've had a NDE and a lot of those guys seem to report something along the lines of facing all your wrongdoings through the eyes of the people you've wronged etc.

There is social collapse. Latest in education:

private school parents now hound and harass teachers for higher predicted grades. They use the argument that lots of universities are accepting students if they miss their offer by one or two grades. This is true, has been happening at increasing levels in the last 3 years. Some universities accepted students who had ABB when the original offer was AAA in the summer.

So posh parents want their brat to go to Russell Group universities and are now playing the game by applying there with the required predictions from teachers, after harassment, knowing full well brat won't get these grades, but will still get in to their chosen uni

Gove's decoupling of ALevels has ramped this up to ridiculous levels, without the AS, teachers are struggling to justify their predictions 

The advantages of paid education, more power and control.

lovely.

Great future

8 hours ago, markyh said:

Moved to a quiet home counties Village, detached house on private gated estate, no through road, neighbours shoot and have shotguns and some have firearms, got a shotgun myself for recreational use, considering the extra hassle of a full firearms licence, but cant be arsed, but will do it if they extend the licencing system Scotland has for Airguns now, apart from storage of ammo conditions virtually no difference to applying for an Airgun licence in Scotland as a full Firearms licence. A semi Auto 10 shot mag .22 Rimfire can throw a lot of lead downwind at "pests" and energy levels lethal to humans.

Happy to sit back and watch the riots on TV, clean my shotgun, if mobs reach sleepy home counties villages and the police don't respond, well I sure the residence of our private estate will rally to protect our neighbours. 

If it really kicks off, it won't stop someone putting a brick on the accelerator of a nicked 13 tonne lorry filled with soil & aiming it at your gated community at 60 mph  

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

7 hours ago, thewig said:

how do you know they won't? I'm not saying they will, I'm saying you don't know for certain, unless you've had a NDE and a lot of those guys seem to report something along the lines of facing all your wrongdoings through the eyes of the people you've wronged etc.

Yup.

Nobodyknows one way or another as, by definition, it's unknowable.

8 hours ago, thewig said:

'That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence' - Christopher Hitchens.

This is exactly the kind of thing i'm talking about. If society actually collectively woke up and realised all the afterlife stories are just fables then they may just be more willing to change things in the here and now.

1 hour ago, ThoughtCriminal said:

Yup.

Nobodyknows one way or another as, by definition, it's unknowable.

I believe in the invisible 'magic sandwich'. Disprove it. It's all just wishful thinking.

9 minutes ago, Maynardgravy said:

'That which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence' - Christopher Hitchens.

This is exactly the kind of thing i'm talking about. If society actually collectively woke up and realised all the afterlife stories are just fables then they may just be more willing to change things in the here and now.

I believe in the invisible 'magic sandwich'. Disprove it. It's all just wishful thinking.

Russell's teapot.

18 hours ago, frederico said:

Having returned from a brief visit to London , I would say that it didn't really feel British to me anymore

It's also factually very different - not just in feel. It is a matter of record that whites are now the minority in London.

Edited by Errol

16 hours ago, disenfranchised said:

British people are nowhere near having kids at a rate that replaces the old people dying off, so we clearly need encouragement.

What I think is unsustainable, is a property market that pretty much forces couples to be dual income families whilst trying to bring up kids. We had a brief window of opportunity for a couple of generations where one parent could parent young kids full time pre-school, and then work part time and parent around school. Now we are heading back to the Victorian model of nearly everybody works full time, except we haven't quite shoved the kids up a chimney again yet. The underclass who can't sustain themselves properly have "benfits" - the professionallly bone idle are on a sort of "cash for kids" system suplemented by a diagnosis for some vague exagerated ******** like chronic anxiety and depression (I'm ******ing lazy and have no intention of working) in order to be signed into the benefits neverland where you dont even have to pretend to be looking for work after the kids grow up.

Automation was supposed to mean we all work less - reality being I work longer hours than either of my parents did, my state pension age is 8 years later than my mothers was and 3 years later than Dads, and my taxes ensure others can sit on their ass without working at all.

I agree with a lot of what you say, but how does your life expectancy compare to your Dads at your age?  If it is more than 3 years longer than you are better off than IMHO.

5 minutes ago, JeffNev said:

Personally, I have never understood the dire predictions about our society, and must confess, I do find some of the posts regarding non-British people in London as particularly disturbing. As a society I think we have come a long way over the last 15-20 years.

In some ways we have gone back, look at levels of FGM in the UK.

36 minutes ago, JeffNev said:

Personally, I have never understood the dire predictions about our society, and must confess, I do find some of the posts regarding non-British people in London as particularly disturbing. As a society I think we have come a long way over the last 15-20 years.

As the excellent book 'The Strange Death of Europe' argued, the question of 'non-british' or non white, is really one of how far do we want to go?

London is currently minority white (something like 48%). What levels are acceptable - 25%? 10%? 5%? There has been no discussion about what we want to see and so we are left with areas of London that are in excess of 85% non-white.

15 hours ago, mathschoc said:

There is social collapse. Latest in education:

private school parents now hound and harass teachers for higher predicted grades. They use the argument that lots of universities are accepting students if they miss their offer by one or two grades. This is true, has been happening at increasing levels in the last 3 years. Some universities accepted students who had ABB when the original offer was AAA in the summer.

So posh parents want their brat to go to Russell Group universities and are now playing the game by applying there with the required predictions from teachers, after harassment, knowing full well brat won't get these grades, but will still get in to their chosen uni

Gove's decoupling of ALevels has ramped this up to ridiculous levels, without the AS, teachers are struggling to justify their predictions 

The advantages of paid education, more power and control.

lovely.

Great future

....the best employers will be able to pick the wheat from the chaff, the truth will reveal itself.....with some clever questions and psychometric tests.;)

Edited by winkie

21 hours ago, thewig said:

I've been saying for a few years you need to be on £100k salary to live a good life in London, that's utter bullsht now probably closer to £500k

Anton Kreil delivers some brutal truths on wages vs cost of living in London in his investment bank presentations

think its in this one somewhere 

Thanks for this. It confirms my thinking and I'm relieved to be honest Ive got some stuff lined up in the home counties. As for 100k. It sounds alot, but if you break it down to 5k net a month. this equivalent to about 300 quid per day on a contract. Its comfortable, but not exactly a luxurious lifestyle. 

Like this guy says, if you work in central london you really need to live in central london. Do you want to live in a 1 bed flat for the rest of your life? If so, a decent one is 2k a month in zone 1. Zone 3 maybe 1.5k. and thats a 1 bed. 

Then there is normal things like, travel, gym fee, food, bills, council tax and so on. You might be left with 2k spare a month. Comfortable, but not exactly living it large (bear in mind a pint is approaching 6 quid. Football ticket 60. Burger in a pub 12-15 quid). Not to mention the downsides of a stressfull existence. The sardine run in the morning, the long hours at your desk. 

Is all that hassle worth it for 2k a month? - The only positive I could see of being in london, is a quicker promotion. But like the guy said in the clip, do you want to give up the best years of your life for that? Me personally, no. I dont.

Edited by 999house

19 hours ago, pmgdawau said:

gangs of youths on bikes and increase in muggings, knifeings and burglary here

I agree with a lot on this thread but violence like this could be an anomolay and return to the norm, violence levels were at all time lows after ww2 if you read of the Victorian era or  Edwardian times (posh johnnies watching girls get murdered or teddy boys slashing throats ) unfortunately this could be the trajectory we are on