House Price Crash Forum

CPI at 3.0%, CPIH at 2.8%

HOLA441
HOLA442
20 minutes ago, InlikeFlynn said:

As predicted in the press, CPI now at 3.0%. Not sure whether this small rise will persuade BoE to hold off on their mooted base rate rise.

edit: RPI steady at 3.9%

Hopefully we'll get a Shaun Richards post on this later today to give plebs like me the why's and wherefores.

These CPI rises are becoming concerted.Must be time for a new inflation measure that comes in under 2%.....or maybe jsut start excluding anything that's gone up in price.

HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

They've taken us right to the brink of a sterling crisis. Ball's in the BoE court now. What will they do??? Feet up folks, popcorn time for real I think. Arrogant Carney and Co. really do deserve total humiliation. Let's hope Mr. Market delivers it.  

HOLA446
HOLA447
1 minute ago, PaulParanoia said:

CPI is measured over 12 months.  The pounds up about 8% against the $ over the last 12 months and pretty much static against the Euro.  I'd expect to see another small increase next month, maybe up to 3.1%.

That just shows dollar weakness really, as commodities are priced in dollars inflation in the US should be heading up too.

HOLA448
5 minutes ago, PaulParanoia said:

CPI is measured over 12 months.  The pounds up about 8% against the $ over the last 12 months and pretty much static against the Euro.  I'd expect to see another small increase next month, maybe up to 3.1%.

I'd expect to see it fall out in the next month or so.  Was expecting a fall but happy it's stayed up, they will have no option now.

HOLA449
34 minutes ago, Sancho Panza said:

Hopefully we'll get a Shaun Richards post on this later today to give plebs like me the why's and wherefores.

These CPI rises are becoming concerted.Must be time for a new inflation measure that comes in under 2%.....or maybe jsut start excluding anything that's gone up in price.

Now hpi is negative they could add that to the CPI measure, and even dress it up as responsibly addressing housing costs. Before promptly dropping interest rates.

HOLA4410
32 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

Pound's fallen off a cliff in October so they may be struggling  to contain things next month. 

The pound is stronger today than this time last year, there was no mention of movement then and more likely won't be now.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
1 hour ago, InlikeFlynn said:

As predicted in the press, CPI now at 3.0%. Not sure whether this small rise will persuade BoE to hold off on their mooted base rate rise.

edit: RPI steady at 3.9%

CPI hit 5% in 2008 and 2011 with no rise in rates. Cant see this pushing them to do it now, and if so no more than .25%.

HOLA4414
1 minute ago, Scramz said:

CPI hit 5% in 2008 and 2011 with no rise in rates. Cant see this pushing them to do it now, and if so no more than .25%.

+1 They won't rise as quickly as we want.

They are reducing stamp duty for first time buyers to help HPI.

Even if they rise it won't be more than 0.25%. TBH, I won't be surprised if they opt for NEGATIVE interest rates.

They want you to spend, spend, spend.

HOLA4415
16 minutes ago, Errol said:

September measures are used to set pensions etc as well, so pensioners are in for a treat!

Yes 3% increase in pensions ..

House prices are up again ( 5%) so inflation can't be that bad overall if people are still buying at increased prices so see no reason not up increase rates really ...

HOLA4416
HOLA4417
HOLA4418

Some will spend more because they can and want to...others will spend less because they can and want to....others will spend less because they can't spend more but want to.

Third group and second group growing.....where is the inflation supposed to be coming from, what I would like to know.;)

HOLA4419
30 minutes ago, Tempus said:

Carney is speaking now before a Parliamentary committee.

Pretty clear he has no intention of raising rates soon.

Indeed some believe he will. I am amazed after 10 years and looking at what has happened in Japan over the past 20 something they believe this, it's like some people (including some on here) don't adjust their models after years of incorrect predictions and completely ignore the past. Quite staggering really he is all talk.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422
3 minutes ago, JustAnotherProle said:

People living in Shipping containers...has it really come to this?

The "millennials" need to start taking this to the streets or we are all screwed.

not really as container living doesn't really solve the real problem which is unaffordable land. Also no boomer would allow a container city anywhere near them. They need "breathing room" remember? :huh:

Edited by @contradevian

HOLA4423
1 hour ago, Scramz said:

Banks had just collapsed...they'd no intention of raising rates, savings rates of 5% were not uncommon...mortgage rates were high.

Things have changed.

HOLA4424
2 minutes ago, @contradevian said:

not really as container living doesn't really solve the real problem which is unaffordable land. Also no boomer would allow a container city anywhere near them. They need "breathing room" remember? :huh:

Whenever I see these stupid container type living BS I always think of this:

shantytown.JPG

Because that is where these ideas are heading if we aren't careful.

As far as boomers, they will soon learn that denying others the luxuries they take for granted is only going to go one way in the end.

HOLA4425
1 hour ago, Nabby81 said:

Yes 3% increase in pensions ..

House prices are up again ( 5%) so inflation can't be that bad overall if people are still buying at increased prices so see no reason not up increase rates really ...

except people don't buy houses with money, they buy them with DEBT. unless the two are finally the same thing