House Price Crash Forum

30th anniversary of the great storm (which is on course to possibly happen again tomorrow in Ireland), the panic of 1907, and the 1987 crash.

2 weeks away from 88 years since the crash of 1929.

US/South Korean military drills commencing tomorrow, for which Pyongyang is preparing a retaliatory missile test.

19th National Congress of the Communist Party of China.

Lots of vital economic numbers this week.

Dunno, I'm quite a sceptical guy generally, but tonight I'm feeling a little superstitious about next week. Probably just the wine.

Good news though. Every time we get a slump, the Establishment come along with a good distraction for the younger folks. Hopefully tunes will get much better over the next year.

Don't forget this forum has immense economic influence: In order to avoid a precipitous stock market crash and the monumental wealth destruction that ensues, it only requires someone to start a "Black Monday" thread.

Use the power wisely, people.

Recently transferred 60% of my pension fund from shares into cash. I have had a feeling for a while now that the stock market is overvalued and due a fall. these things always seem to happen in October! We'll see! 

Edited by oatbake
spellung

47 minutes ago, Toast said:

Don't forget this forum has immense economic influence: In order to avoid a precipitous stock market crash and the monumental wealth destruction that ensues, it only requires someone to start a "Black Monday" thread.

Use the power wisely, people.

I have heard on the grapevine that October 16th 2017 will be the worst day since the Wall St Crash of 1929. 

I'm getting all my shares out in the morning. Most of my friends and family will be doing the same.

Black Monday 16th October 2017

Austria.

On its own not such a big thing...but with BREXIT and Catalonia, I'd say the situation in the EU is getting worse and not better...which is significant.

Flight to safety coming soon...maybe tomorrow maybe later but its coming.

6 minutes ago, Princekie said:

I have heard on the grapevine that October 16th 2017 will be the worst day since the Wall St Crash of 1929. 

What grapevine? Any evidence or reasoning behind such a prediction? Guess we will know tomorrow...

5 minutes ago, whome_yesyou said:

What grapevine? Any evidence or reasoning behind such a prediction? Guess we will know tomorrow...

Zerohedge or Max Keiser....?

Be careful what you wish for, money doesn't get destroyed it moves. The crash of 1987, for example, moved into the housing market. 12 months on from the crash the West Midlands recorded the highest ever annual hpi of 60% by Q3 1988.

If the Government throw in the cards and we get another general election with McDonell waiting in the wings (slightly to the left of Trotsky) I agree we will get carnage. Not in the housing market mind, it will be the only man left standing in a South American Republic.

Edited by crashmonitor

39 minutes ago, Princekie said:

I'm getting all my shares out in the morning. Most of my friends and family will be doing the same.

https://www.space.com/38367-gravitational-wave-announcement-coming.html

What goes up, stays up.

2 hours ago, Princekie said:

Big bang on the stock market tomorrow.

Shares will plunge.

You've been firm about this for ages  -isn't it time to let us into the secret ? 

1 hour ago, crashmonitor said:

Be careful what you wish for, money doesn't get destroyed it moves. The crash of 1987, for example, moved into the housing market. 12 months on from the crash the West Midlands recorded the highest ever annual hpi of 60% by Q3 1988.

If the Government throw in the cards and we get another general election with McDonell waiting in the wings (slightly to the left of Trotsky) I agree we will get carnage. Not in the housing market mind, it will be the only man left standing in a South American Republic.

Do you still own or back to renting? 

Britain is £490billion poorer than thought and no longer has any reserve of net foreign assets to help protect against any damage to the economy from Brexit.

The revision to the national accounts in the ONS’s so-called Blue Book means that the UK’s net international investment position has collapsed from a surplus of £469bn to a net deficit of £22bn - equivalent to a quarter of GDP.

The revised figures show the country owns far fewer international assets and owes far more to foreign investors than previously thought.

“Half a trillion pounds has gone missing,” said Mark Capleton, the UK rates strategist at Bank of America.

The effective write down in the value of “UK plc” could make it harder to defend sterling and the British debt markets against a run on the pound after Britain leaves the European Union.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/2017/10/15/britains-missing-billions-revised-figures-reveal-uk-490bn-poorer/

9 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

Posters on this site have spent years saying things are terrible and far worse than the official statistics indicate.

every time, along comes some smarmy **** saying that you must believe the official statistics. Where the ****** are you now?

1 hour ago, oatbake said:

Recently transferred 60% of my pension fund from shares into cash. I have had a feeling for a while now that the stock market is overvalued and due a fall. these things always seem to happen in October! We'll see! 

Was that moved based on anything more than a feeling?

I honestly don't know whether the market will go up or down by a little or a lot.  I just buy, hold and rebalance low cost diversified products in low cost wrappers.  So far I've managed a CAGR of 6.9% which included the GFC.

The problem with cash is that over the very long term you're going to lose because inflation will beat you.  Then if you use cash to try and time the market you have to be right twice.  The peak or near to it and the low or near to it.  I tried it and failed miserably so switched from trading to investing.  

35 minutes ago, wish I could afford one said:

Was that moved based on anything more than a feeling?

I honestly don't know whether the market will go up or down by a little or a lot.  I just buy, hold and rebalance low cost diversified products in low cost wrappers.  So far I've managed a CAGR of 6.9% which included the GFC.

The problem with cash is that over the very long term you're going to lose because inflation will beat you.  Then if you use cash to try and time the market you have to be right twice.  The peak or near to it and the low or near to it.  I tried it and failed miserably so switched from trading to investing.  

Just a feeling really. It feels like we are living in strange times! I am worried about inflation, which is why I left the other 40% still in shares. We'll see if it pays off I guess!

2 hours ago, Princekie said:

Sorry doesn't pass the smell test. You've been saying for months that 16th October is massive crash day. Why would you wait until the actual morning to pull your money out lol

15 minutes ago, Funn3r said:

Sorry doesn't pass the smell test. You've been saying for months that 16th October is massive crash day. Why would you wait until the actual morning to pull your money out lol

I've been that busy trying to win a house filling in numerous competition forms, playing "Spot the ball", and filling in online surveys (for the chance to win a house) that I just haven't had the time.

Come tomorrow, I'll be dialling up my stockbroker first thing. Hopefully the queue at the telephone box won't be too long, or I may have to send a pigeon.

Edited by Princekie

8 minutes ago, Princekie said:

I've been that busy trying to win a house filling in numerous competition forms, playing "Spot the ball", and filling in online surveys (for the chance to win a house) that I just haven't had the time.

Come tomorrow, I'll be dialling up my stockbroker first thing. Hopefully the queue at the telephone box won't be too long, or I may have to send a pigeon.

Well sounds to me like you're a good time waster, like you are wasting mine right now by even reading your mystic meg predictions.

This site has some intelligent people posting with facts, you don't appear to be one of them.

Good luck with the pigeons though, as it might be windy tomorrow.