House Price Crash Forum

Vauxhall to cut 400 jobs at Ellesmere Port plant

reddog

HOLA441

Vauxhall plant goes down to 1 shift costing 400 jobs.

https://www.ft.com/content/2ea88fa8-b05c-11e7-aab9-abaa44b1e130

No doubt some will be dying to blame Brexit, not the over capacity in European car manufacturing, and lack of interest in middle of the road brands.

Personally I am amazed PSA bought Vauxhall/Opel.  I am sure GM must have effectively given it away, to actually buy it would make no sense.

Will the whole factory close down in the medium term?

Edited by reddog

HOLA442

Our company leases are now Audi for all when it used to be Vauxhall, the more accessible the German brands become through finance the more mid range makers will suffer... saw that GM are planning to focus on SUV's and the like going forward rather than small cars, when you think how the focus and fiesta were top sellers for so long,  the current car market must sting for a lot of brands

HOLA443
58 minutes ago, reddog said:

Vauxhall plant goes down to 1 shift costing 400 jobs.

https://www.ft.com/content/2ea88fa8-b05c-11e7-aab9-abaa44b1e130

No doubt some will be dying to blame Brexit, not the over capacity in European car manufacturing, and lack of interest in middle of the road brands.

Personally I am amazed PSA bought Vauxhall/Opel.  I am sure GM must have effectively given it away, to actually buy it would make no sense.

Will the whole factory close down in the medium term?

Hallelujah! AFAIK its lost money every year for the past two decades, so even giving it away would have made sense to GM.

Goodness only knows what PSA hope to do with it. Extort some additional subsidies from Spreadsheet Phil before flogging the site to a property developer would be my guess.

HOLA444
1 hour ago, zugzwang said:

Hallelujah! AFAIK its lost money every year for the past two decades, so even giving it away would have made sense to GM.

Goodness only knows what PSA hope to do with it. Extort some additional subsidies from Spreadsheet Phil before flogging the site to a property developer would be my guess.

Yeah - I have heard reports they have lost money for the last 20 years.

Back in the day, every middle manager would have a Sierra or Cavalier, and even the directors would have a Granada or Omega.  Not anymore, most people that can scrap together enough cash to make the monthly payment on an Audi or BMW, do exactly that  (side point: lower interest rates in the UK are propping up German industry)

One Machiavelli thought is that they will assist strip what they can, twist the arms of weak governments to give them tax breaks, while at the same time running down Vauxhall and Opel, in order to give more space in the market to Peugeot and Citron.  

Edited by reddog

HOLA445

From what I read mid car sales are decling Astra sized cars as people move to SUV 

Vauxhall have a new range of SUV's coming out but not built in uk and they are already a joint venture with PSA before the sale so imagine they will move production to all varients to one location.

HOLA446
1 hour ago, reddog said:

Yeah - I have heard reports they have lost money for the last 20 years.

Back in the day, every middle manager would have a Sierra or Cavalier, and even the directors would have a Granada or Omega.  Not anymore, most people that can scrap together enough cash to make the monthly payment on an Audi or BMW, do exactly that  (side point: lower interest rates in the UK are propping up German industry)

One Machiavelli thought is that they will assist strip what they can, twist the arms of weak governments to give them tax breaks, while at the same time running down Vauxhall and Opel, in order to give more space in the market to Peugeot and Citron.  

Haha I remember those days well!

I remember listening to one of my bosses back in the 90s, trying to encourage the sales team to sell more in the hope that they would earn enough commission to buy a new Sierra to drive to work in! The smart (and sensible) money would have gone straight down to the Toyota garage and bought a new Starlet/Corolla/Avensis.... I remember one of the bosses having the utterly unreliable Vauxhall Senator. Still I guess it beat his Montego.

As for us mere mortals..."Well lads keep on makin' a quality product and you'll be coming to work in't new Astra....". I opted for Mazda 323f...with pop up headlights.

Edited by Princekie

HOLA447
HOLA448
HOLA449
HOLA4410

PSA will probably do the same as they did with the Coventry factories that built the 205 and 306 - shut them down. 

PSA bought the Coventry plant from Chrysler, so the parallels are there.  They changed the name of the cars from Chrysler to Talbot, then to Peugeot.  But ultimately they shut the plant down, and their UK market share then pretty much evaporated.  I don't imagine the Vauxhall plant will have a brighter future, although hopefully cuts now can extend it a bit longer.