House Price Crash Forum
fru-gal

Hammond plots 'big offer' on housing and student loan debts as he tries to draw up a 'revolutionary' Budget amid calls for him to be fired

Student loans are immoral when the boomers got uni for free

so are very high house prices.

conservatives won’t write of the debt and refund the ripped off students, via massive punitive taxes on the over 55 year olds like they should do, that’s the only way (and it’s fair) they can win over the young. 

Instead they will fiddle around the edges.

loans which will never be repaid are written off anyway, so it’s a crappy offer. 

the conservatives are out of touch and are handing the county over to labour on a plate. I have some savings but compared to the boomer wealth it’s nothing. Rather watch the country burn that vote for the boomer bribe party. 

Been saying for years the Tories are in structural decline and demographic decline.

Getting people under 55 to re engage with the party should be their top priority if they want re election.

Tory safe seats that are full of 55+ members who tend to pick people they like rather than people that will engage with the wider public-the two aren't mutually exclusive but generally result in a lot of OxBridge grads,generally ex public school/grammar school.

I used to be a member many years ago but it was depressing when come election time they'd send us southern carpetbaggers to spend all the old dears hard earned money on posters we would only use once.Some of these people have resurfaced in safe seats since and having witnessed how clueless they were many years ago,I can't imagine much has changed.That's how they ended up with the likes of Hague/IDS/Howard as leaders.I gave up when they elected Cameron and haven't been disappointed by my decision since.

These days I find the Tories as depressing as Labour,both banker shills.

Edited by Sancho Panza

Writing off the old student loans "that are never likely to be paid down" is just a pay off to private buyers of old student loans:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Student_Loans_Company#Student_loan_book_sales
http://www.ifre.com/uk-government-in-a-bind-over-41bn-student-loan-sale/21312432.fullarticle

And Hammond just happens to have an option on some green belt land so would guess that's part of the plan:
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/philip-hammond-could-land-1-5m-in-green-belt-housing-deal-b5l6wtc92

7 minutes ago, Sancho Panza said:

Been saying for years the Tories are in structural decline and demographic decline.

Getting people under 55 to re engage with the party should be their top priority if they want re election.

Tory safe seats that are full of 55+ members who tend to pick people they like rather than people that will engage with the wider public-the two aren't mutually exclusive but generally result in a lot of OxBridge grads,generally ex public school/grammar school.

I used to be a member many years ago but it was depressing when come election time they'd send us southern carpetbaggers to spend all the old dears hard earned money on posters we would only use once.Some of these people have resurfaced in safe seats since and having witnessed how clueless they were many years ago,I can't imagine much has changed.That's how they ended up with the likes of Hague/IDS/Howard as leaders.I gave up when they elected Cameron and haven't been disappointed by my decision since.

These days I find the Tories as depressing as Labour,both banker shills.

Reengagement won't help.  They could replace Theresa May with Stormzy (whoever that is) and it won't help.

Either they transform tenants back into homeowners or they will probably lose the next election.

'Corbyn will crash the market and destroy your pension'

'I haven't got a pension'  

'Oh'

They talk about a 'big offer', but then drift into discussing various pet projects of whichever Tory MP was talking to the Times or Mail at that point in time.

My suggestion for a 'big offer' which redistributes to working people would to be to merge employee NI and Income Tax. £400 in the pocket of most working people, paid for by wealthier pensioners so not an attack on 'those on the state pension' as they don't pay Income Tax. Also conveniently fills Hammond's Class 2/4 NI black hole as the self employed pay tax but not NI.

39 minutes ago, Sancho Panza said:

This explains a lot of Ruth Davidson's success/appeal, she had no base so could do whatever she wanted. English Tories are terrified of their elderly, brexity base.

Student tax is not a bad policy.....better universities, better qualifications, better work, better pay, pay your own way, pay something back.

The problem is not the skills that earn the most over a lifetime paying something back.....it is the what used to be like cheaper evening college classes charging the same for less......people should only pay for what they get and what it can do for them......big business ripping off those that think university opens the door to prosperity.....when in reality it only does for some......not everyone wants or can earn big money from the course they choose, so why the same price?........madness.;)

1 hour ago, jiltedjen said:

Student loans are immoral when the boomers got uni for free

so are very high house prices.

conservatives won’t write of the debt and refund the ripped off students, via massive punitive taxes on the over 55 year olds like they should do, that’s the only way (and it’s fair) they can win over the young. 

Instead they will fiddle around the edges.

loans which will never be repaid are written off anyway, so it’s a crappy offer. 

the conservatives are out of touch and are handing the county over to labour on a plate. I have some savings but compared to the boomer wealth it’s nothing. Rather watch the country burn that vote for the boomer bribe party. 

I agree. Many of us just want to see the country burn now

The best thing that can happen to the Tories is for them to be wiped out in the 2022 GE. Only then will they have the motivation to overcome their VIs and regroup with fresh ideas. They really need a kicking.

7 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

Lots of young people I know think uni is a waste of money at today's prices. They are looking for apprenticeships. Is this a bad thing??

No not bad at all....except have known those with high, in demand skills craftsmen turn down taking on an apprentice because of the bureaucracy and red tape it entails, don't forget these people are good at what they do, though not necessarily good at the paperwork etc required to employ another.......;)

At work I always got to have the new people to sit with me, would show them the ropes......earn as you learn, taught by the people who actually know how the job works and can do the job.....;)

We have the perfect storm of Brexit, Corbyn and technological change forcing the Tories to collect more taxes and offer the plebs something radical. The only people that have wealth these days are the boomers and pensioners and if the Tories want to stay relevant instead of being resigned to the dustbin of political history they better get with the times, chop chop!

14 minutes ago, fru-gal said:

We have the perfect storm of Brexit, Corbyn and technological change forcing the Tories to collect more taxes and offer the plebs something radical. The only people that have wealth these days are the boomers and pensioners and if the Tories want to stay relevant instead of being resigned to the dustbin of political history they better get with the times, chop chop!

You forget the other perfect storm contingent....

Mass boomer retirement this year. Nightmare!

Hopefully 'boomers' if that is the word that is preferred or people retiring this year should have little or no debt to pay.....except for those who have not budgeted wisely over their lifetime of work, spent excessively or had some big setback that could not have been avoided  .....retired people should have lower expenses, are able to spend less, eat less, lower travel costs, can live in a smaller place that needs less heating and maintenance.... don't have to live near the best schools or jobs......they can live in better, nicer, cheaper places......It is not today's retired it is tomorrow's retired.....who will pay tomorrow's debts, health and rents?;)

In the Sunday Times they're apparently saying he might pay for some of this by 'slashing pension tax relief'.

Great.  So that's another ladder the older generation will have pulled up behind them.  I make pension contributions every month, but my employer's contribution is pitiful, and my retirement age is 67 and rising.  I really don't think I'll get to retire.

I suspect I will end up too young to have taken advantage of the 90s/early 00s 'boom', and yet too old to be targeted by any of these 'solutions'.

They are so horrendously out of touch.

1 hour ago, Princekie said:

You forget the other perfect storm contingent....

Mass boomer retirement this year. Nightmare!

It's a good thing the NHS is well funded to cope with all those old people needing medical support.

11 minutes ago, irrationalactor said:

In the Sunday Times they're apparently saying he might pay for some of this by 'slashing pension tax relief'.

Great.  So that's another ladder the older generation will have pulled up behind them.  I make pension contributions every month, but my employer's contribution is pitiful, and my retirement age is 67 and rising.  I really don't think I'll get to retire.

I suspect I will end up too young to have taken advantage of the 90s/early 00s 'boom', and yet too old to be targeted by any of these 'solutions'.

They are so horrendously out of touch.

I've said it a few times before, but they are playing with fire. People on relatively good wages, such as my colleagues and I, are considering going part time / reducing earnings so we have more free time now whilst we are healthy, versus continually slogging our guts our guts out for a retirement that may never arrive. They already screwed over a good portion of us with the rise from 67 to 68 earlier this year.

The way they are losing their core vote and p*ssing people off by being so out of touch, a Labour victory seems nailed on in the next GE.

1 minute ago, dpg50000 said:

I've said it a few times before, but they are playing with fire. People on relatively good wages, such as my colleagues and I, are considering going part time / reducing earnings so we have more free time now whilst we are healthy, versus continually slogging our guts our guts out for a retirement that may never arrive. They already screwed over a good portion of us with the rise from 67 to 68 earlier this year.

The way they are losing their core vote and p*ssing people off by being so out of touch, a Labour victory seems nailed on in the next GE.

Retirement is old school.

Buy your first home at 37, after youve saved up enough for a deposit, and repaid your 50k student loans.

Get your nice shiny 40 year mortgage, youll be working til 77.