House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
undersupply

Ireland House Prices Up 9.5%

Funny how they report the 9,5% rise in Ireland but not the 10% drop in Somerset and the other (slightly lesser) falls in England - isn't it?

I never saw that coming!

I guess this has something to do with being the Irish edition. The Sunday Times here in Northern Ireland contains has a considerable number of stories relating to Eire and I presume is sold there too.

Funny how they report the 9,5% rise in Ireland but not the 10% drop in Somerset and the other (slightly lesser) falls in England - isn't it?

I never saw that coming!

9.5% in 2006... why not? sure who's paying attention to price anyway? The property market is utterly unidirectional here. However the factors supporting the current direction (up) are volatile. Patient value seekers could do well to keep track of Dublin... prices will correct eventually, not in 2006 but eventually, and when they do I reckon we'll see huge volatility. Prices, say of dockland apartments, could move massively and swiftly to the downside... the stagnation / soft-landing story wont play out here...

Rent inflation in larger regional towns has resulted from population growth combined with restrictive planning and poor supply.

I guess a fact isn't worth reporting unless it's bullish. They include a throwaway comment on rent inflation without either telling us what the increase is, or what is happening to rents in Dublin.

Perhaps, that is because rents in Dublin are under serious pressure and stand nominally much lower than they did three or four years ago. The rental yield on a typical property is around 2% gross. So much property is empty - it seems that everyone wants to be landlord, chasing tenants that don't exist.

I do wonder how low rental yields will go before people finally wake up. The interest rate on savings is set to improve dramatically this year thanks to the ECB, which will make the situation all the more ludicrous.

Yet another warning from the Central Bank about the dangers of an overheated housing market.

The Central Bank has again warned of

the dangers of an overheated housing

market and the composition of recent

economic growth.

In its first quarterly bulletin of

2006, it says it is worried there has

been little or no slowdown in the pace

of personal sector credit growth.

The Central Bank remains worried about

house price developments, rapid credit

growth and a construction sector which

it says it unsustainably large.