Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum
jiltedjen

cant pay we'll take it away

Recommended Posts

The last two episodes of cant pay we'll take it away both featured quite interesting debtors for us on HPC

One episode had a massive lovely expensive looking house, almost empty with a few worthless possessions, and the people who looked worried and worked sick, saying 'we look rich but its all in the house we struggle to pay the mortgage'

the next episode was again another massive massive house, this time almost completely empty, tired cars (belching out smoke from lack of maintenance), moaning about all the money going to the mortgage and no equity in it. Having everything taken away as 'they are trying to sell'...

i know its a TV show, but this certainly seems pretty common, people with massive houses far in excess of what they actually need, tired and stressed, no money, yet a massive massive status symbol house. Then not wanting to seem rich, when they have obviously over-stretched themselves beyond breaking point, to the point the bailiffs are there to take what little they have left.

Each time i see these people, its clear that if they had 'cut their cloth to suit' they would have very nice better than average houses, be much happier and not working all hours to sink into a mortgage. Yet these morons have obviously valued a status symbol (theres comes a point when size completely outstrips actual reasonable utility).

These are people with obviously better than average jobs for the main earner, and average jobs for the second earner, yet buying houses which seem suited for say a couple of top-paid doctors with inheritance. 

I watch loads of cant take we will take it away, yet the last few episodes are suddenly showing 'massive house, no money' cases. particularly enjoyable watching i have to say.

how many times do you drive by massive houses and wonder how people got there (outside of the greedy boomer generation). i guess the simple answer in most cases is just interest only, or simply that the people living they just cant actually afford it.  

Houses are the status symbol, must have the biggest humanly possible. 

Anyone interested:
series 5 episode 21 (free to watch online)
series 5 episode 20 (free to watch online)

i find both episodes fascinating. 
 

Edited by jiltedjen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

..Houses are the status symbol, must have the biggest humanly possible. 

Interesting jiltedjen.

For some individuals, not all individuals.

*Bad Language Alert.

And I pay my debts as well, so am cautious about taking on too much debt.

Edited by Venger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, jiltedjen said:

The last two episodes of cant pay we'll take it away both featured quite interesting debtors for us on HPC

One episode had a massive lovely expensive looking house, almost empty with a few worthless possessions, and the people who looked worried and worked sick, saying 'we look rich but its all in the house we struggle to pay the mortgage'

the next episode was again another massive massive house, this time almost completely empty, tired cars (belching out smoke from lack of maintenance), moaning about all the money going to the mortgage and no equity in it. Having everything taken away as 'they are trying to sell'...

i know its a TV show, but this certainly seems pretty common, people with massive houses far in excess of what they actually need, tired and stressed, no money, yet a massive massive status symbol house. Then not wanting to seem rich, when they have obviously over-stretched themselves beyond breaking point, to the point the bailiffs are there to take what little they have left.

Each time i see these people, its clear that if they had 'cut their cloth to suit' they would have very nice better than average houses, be much happier and not working all hours to sink into a mortgage. Yet these morons have obviously valued a status symbol (theres comes a point when size completely outstrips actual reasonable utility).

These are people with obviously better than average jobs for the main earner, and average jobs for the second earner, yet buying houses which seem suited for say a couple of top-paid doctors with inheritance. 

I watch loads of cant take we will take it away, yet the last few episodes are suddenly showing 'massive house, no money' cases. particularly enjoyable watching i have to say.

how many times do you drive by massive houses and wonder how people got there (outside of the greedy boomer generation). i guess the simple answer in most cases is just interest only, or simply that the people living they just cant actually afford it.  

Houses are the status symbol, must have the biggest humanly possible. 

Anyone interested:
series 5 episode 21 (free to watch online)
series 5 episode 20 (free to watch online)

i find both episodes fascinating. 
 

Living the dream.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you saying these Gordon Brown era balls deep in debt "property (hoarder) investors"/its me pension innit geniuses are actually finally coming unstuck?

Even despite massive hpi, debt forgiveness and succesive govts throwing the kitchen sink at the UK's biggest ever plate spinning social experiment?

I think you might be witnessing the beginning of the most interesting period of any mega bubble, its finally popcorn time...happy crashy time all

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Saw both episodes. Always surprised me that they haven’t featured a bank reposing a family home. Lots of tenants thrown out. One particular episode featured a family with a child on a respirator. They had to be evicted to get the help they needed. It alway struck me that they seemed to be avoiding vilifying the banks as the show features mostly stories about individuals suing each other. I try to catch the back stories that preceded each story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes I saw the episode with first example mentioned... middle aged couple with just one teenage daughter living in a huge house, apparently worth £750k. 

Yet inside just had a few worthless junky possessions and cheap bits of furniture... it looked exactly like the repo's that you (very occasionally still) see, all that was missing was the safety tape on the toilets and cookers!

And they were genuinely really struggling to come up with the £1,400 that they owed, having to borrow some from family to scrape it together. 

That one couple and ''their'' house were the perfect example of all that's wrong with the concept of and attitude towards property ''ownership'' in the UK today.

Edited by nome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Greg Bowman said:

Which bit of this opening shot made it memorable for you Winkie.....??

......that film/documentary is an eye opener.;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Blod said:

Saw both episodes. Always surprised me that they haven’t featured a bank reposing a family home. Lots of tenants thrown out. One particular episode featured a family with a child on a respirator. They had to be evicted to get the help they needed. It alway struck me that they seemed to be avoiding vilifying the banks as the show features mostly stories about individuals suing each other. I try to catch the back stories that preceded each story.

How often does that happen?  Measures for the last 9 years have been to avoid that.   Low rates or house repossession.

Although you say tenants thrown out, so perhaps you mean County Court Bailiffs, or perhaps the few private firms said to have a contract to do the same.

That happened on the last episode of High Court Enforcers I happened to catch 2 minutes of watching on TV.   They gave her an hour to get her things.  I just knew that landlord would have incurred voids, and there's been a big jump in cost of court fees in landlord sectors for the entire process where they have a tenant who isn't paying and they want to get possession back.  Doubt the landlord will get any money back pursuing that tenant in the future.

Avoid vilifying the banks?  I thought last 9 years was about the banks and bankers being to blame for all ills?  

Protect the mad-gainz, blame the bankers (even outright long-wave mad-gainz homeowners at it).

Can't say I've heard of Can't Pay We'll Take It Away before.  Although it makes sense to me - vs - blame banks for borrowers not keeping their promises "let them keep the nice things and not pay for them" (sympathy / the greatest of innocence).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Was a interesting 2 episodes it is crazy when you look at the accountant for example (should be good with money) but past experiences with accounts have proven to me thats not true

In fact i have come across a few accountants who just seem like they given up stressed

The episodes reminded me of the book The Millionaire Next Door 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The UK is effectively a feudal society where status is informed by the ownership of land and property...as it has since 1066.  This is very deeply ingrained in our culture.  'Own' big house and land = success.  Even those successful in business and industry in the 1800s and remotely from the landed classes, what did they do with their wealth....?   They bought land and property.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HowMuch! said:

It always seems to be renters getting evicted and never "home owners"

quite right - 'home owners' are privileged and the role of the state is to support and protect them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Wayward said:

The UK is effectively a feudal society where status is informed by the ownership of land and property...as it has since 1066.  This is very deeply ingrained in our culture.  'Own' big house and land = success.  Even those successful in business and industry in the 1800s and remotely from the landed classes, what did they do with their wealth....?   They bought land and property.

Not so long ago aspirational houses had ‘tradesman’ entrances, and woe betide any delivery boy who knocked at the front door.

Being  ‘in trade’ was looked down upon by the landed class.

Another put down was (is?) ‘too clever by half’ and an Oxbridge ‘gentleman’s third’ was well thought of.

As you say, maybe we have not changed as much as we like to think.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

George Osborne bigs up Gordy McRuin. :huh:

2008 Crash not Labour's fault, after all.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/oct/13/corbyn-hammond-right-to-say-labour-threatens-whole-economic-system

Quote

 

On Friday, shadow Cabinet Office minister Jon Trickett criticised the “hypocrisy” of the Conservatives’ attempts to criticise Labour’s record on the economy, after former chancellor George Osborne told an audience in London he did not believe Labour could have prevented the financial crash in 2008.

Osborne, who is now the editor of the Evening Standard newspaper, said he had “questions about some of the decisions taken in 2007-08” but he thought the then prime minister Gordon Brown and his chancellor Alistair Darling “broadly speaking … did what was necessary in a very difficult situation”.

Osborne said the “public finances were not as strong as they could have been after 10 years of growth … but did Gordon Brown cause the sub-prime crisis in America? No.”

Trickett said the former chancellor’s comments were a “cynical ploy” given the scale of the Tory attacks on Labour’s economic record during Osborne and David Cameron’s time in office.

Osborne has previously called the crash “Labour’s great recession” and in 2008 Cameron said the crisis “highlighted just how mistaken Labour’s economic policy has been”.

Trickett said Osborne had “finally admitted that Labour did not cause the global financial crisis and that our spending plans were right and, in the process, he has completely shredded any remaining Tory economic credibility”.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think CP?WTIA! should be shown in schools and workplaces throughout the land. Most people on it have ignored their debts, making them spiral ever higher. About 50% appear to have no self-respect, living in houses with clothes, dishes and belongings strewn about every room. Many think they "know their rights" when they clearly don't. 

The statistics in between each story are horrifying. 

If you haven't seen it, ignore that it's Channel 5, and catch it on catch up.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

it's a great watch for HPC'ers

it captures the painful moment when letters can no longer be ignored, the exact moment debt becomes reality.

problem is, there are home-owners right at the bottom of the spectrum (last episode), where they were lent the deposit, and have everything inside the house 'on the tick' (finance on sofas, furniture TV etc)

i think most people feel (quite rightly) that they deserve a house, when the reality is that they cant afford one and in reality should not have one. Bankruptcies waiting to happen. 

it sometimes is hard to watch, people refusing to pay, rich boomers who arrogantly refuse to pay for someones dog their injured (when massive cash rich). It highlights the crappier sides of humanity. 

It's often nice when you see those of a generation who got gifted massive equity, white landrover out the front, posh looking house, being told they are going to loose it all. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Blod said:

Saw both episodes. Always surprised me that they haven’t featured a bank reposing a family home. Lots of tenants thrown out. One particular episode featured a family with a child on a respirator. They had to be evicted to get the help they needed. It alway struck me that they seemed to be avoiding vilifying the banks as the show features mostly stories about individuals suing each other. I try to catch the back stories that preceded each story.

The series follows this one firm of bailiffs who it seems only evict from rental accommodation.

I doubt the High Street Financial Industry would welcome a fly on the wall documentary such as this. Although that said there is much educational benefit to be derived from it.

The BBC of late have moved into programs where you can be issued fines in the street, diversifying from their usual property porn.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Senny Pijama said:

I think CP?WTIA! should be shown in schools and workplaces throughout the land. Most people on it have ignored their debts, making them spiral ever higher. About 50% appear to have no self-respect, living in houses with clothes, dishes and belongings strewn about every room. Many think they "know their rights" when they clearly don't. 

The statistics in between each story are horrifying. 

If you haven't seen it, ignore that it's Channel 5, and catch it on catch up.

 

I've worked for companies in the past where the directors have said ' if the baliffs came in here they couldnt take anything away...its all leased' as if it were a badge on honour. About 15 years ago i had a few rough jobs in east london and I've had a folder ready with all the lease agreements to show a baliff (and have had to shown them to baliffs) for everything down to the chairs, desks and phones.

Am sure that mentailty trickles through to those guys personal lives..their staff see it working etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've seen a few episodes of the show.  The renters being evicted can be very sad.  In the majority of cases they have clearly been told by the council to "stay in the house - we can't help you until you've been evicted".  The tenants take this as advice to ignore all letters until the day the High Court Enforcement Officers turn up, and are terrified that they have to leave within a few hours.  By this time the landlord has probably had close to six months worth of non rent payment, and the tenant thinks that the matter has essentially resolved itself.  Some of the evicted tenants are clearly gobby scumbags, but it is the ones who are clearly a few sticks short of a bundle I feel sorry for.  People who's lives are so "state-cushioned" they have no idea of reality or consequences.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 294 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.