House Price Crash Forum
zugzwang

£40,000 bed in a shed!

They forgot to mention what he is paying to site it and get water, sewer and electric.

I seem to remember watching HUTH and they said you could build at 3 bed bungalow for 80k. So 40k seems a little pricey for what is a shed.

The idea is that they would house key workers and students as well as homeless people. 

I love the idea of nurses and teachers being content to live in a shed in someone's back garden. No ponzi economy to see here, absolutely not.

40k my bum 

37.5k for some cheap flooring plasterboard and a 3 piece suite , i reckon i could build that for 6k ! , sadly when the word HOME is added to the mix the price rises sharply no doubt 40k looks cheap compared to the real thing. 

https://www.portablespace.co.uk/product/20ft-x-8ft-one-trip-shipping-container-dark-green?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIgu6eqdLu1gIVQ40bCh39mgBAEAQYASABEgKe6vD_BwE

The Guardian’s verdict? The design did work – tiny but not cramped. Brilliant insulation meant it was very warm and, though the night was stormy, quiet. It is open plan apart from the bathroom, and the different areas made it feel surprisingly spacious. A good night’s sleep.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/sep/14/home-sweet-micro-home-sleep-testing-a-pod-for-the-homeless

21 minutes ago, Peter Hun said:

Soon of course, because we value them so much, to be the par for the course aspiration housing for all of societies essential workers, such as teachers, nurses, firefighters.

And of course it will be lauded as affordable too because they will typically require only(!) a 25 year mortgage instead of the typical 40+ year mortgage the rest of the private sector middle classes will need to be able to buy their sub-500sq.ft two bedroom 'family' flat.  And, of course, in the ever increasingly pressured lives all these people will be living they probably won't have the luxury of the time to idly reminisce how their post-war parents generation of modest means and without inheritances were able to afford, with usually one breadwinner income and no state props such a Help to Buy or Shared Ownership, and raise them in a comparatively luxuriously spacious and solidly built suburban semi with meaningful sized garden and, often, coming with a garage space big enough to actually fit a car! 

How any politician or political junkie today (of any party) can look me in the eyes and tell me with a straight face that we, as a society and civilisation, are still moving forward in respect of essentials such as housing,  is beyond me.  We have, for some years now, been slowly undoing and losing all of the great societal standard of living improvements of the last 150+ years - and now at an accelerating rate.

37 minutes ago, anonguest said:

And of course it will be lauded as affordable too because they will typically require only(!) a 25 year mortgage instead of the typical 40+ year mortgage the rest of the private sector middle classes will need to be able to buy their sub-500sq.ft two bedroom 'family' flat.

Aside the land cost, £40K is affordable. Thats almost an unsecured personal loan.

14 minutes ago, nome said:

How about £70k for a bed in a conservatory!...in Stockport!!!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66035609.html?premiumA=true

I've conjectured before that the increasingly only plausible explanation for why the public is not up in arms over this state of affairs must surely be because there is 'something in the water' or something amounting to the same effect?!  How else can a supposedly rational free thinking population not 'see' what is happening and be enraged?! 

If you are lucky you may hear the odd mid-40s (or younger) person respond to such media articles with something along the lines of "the house I grew up in cost less than that..." but you never seem to hear that same person then follow that up with what you would presume should be the next logical statement of "how on earth did we get here?!" - never mind "how can we stop this?".

Edited by anonguest

10 hours ago, Peter Hun said:

Aside the land cost, £40K is affordable. Thats almost an unsecured personal loan.

40K today.  What about 'tomorrow'?

In any case (and I agree that 40K is not completley beyond reach for many) my comment was not about the amount but the lack of what one is getting for that amount!

13 hours ago, bomberbrown said:

No mention of whose back garden was it put in either. 

Quite. Housing association running this tenancy. Did they just dump it in the yard of one of their places.

Not sure why they didn't base this on shipping containers. Looks to be similar size.

Didn't see any mention of what the rent is. 

Simply revolutionary stuff. How can we design the world so the proles can live with less.

11 hours ago, nome said:

How about £70k for a bed in a conservatory!...in Stockport!!!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-66035609.html?premiumA=true

Sold! (STC) :o

10 hours ago, anonguest said:

40K today.  What about 'tomorrow'?

In any case (and I agree that 40K is not completley beyond reach for many) my comment was not about the amount but the lack of what one is getting for that amount!

You get a self contained flat (they are stackable) for one person. I don;t know what you expect

For a bit less you can buy a bit smaller caravan. https://www.practicalcaravan.com/reviews/caravan/34505-knaus-eurostar-650-es