House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
fru-gal

Stamp duty could be cut for home owners who make their properties more energy efficient, minister says

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/10/12/stamp-duty-could-cut-home-owners-make-properties-energy-efficient/

Ms Perry said the Government was looking at “carrots and sticks” approaches to the issue but she distanced herself from a suggestion that ministers could make it more expensive for people to sell their home if they have not installed proper insulation

:rolleyes: So much tinkering around the edges...

Now i dont actually see a problem with this... they could band it like VED (road tax) where higher "poluting"/less efficient houses Attract a higher stamp duty. 

It would then focus some sellers, as their house becomes financially less attractive at the point of sale unless they fix the issue or lower the house price to compensate.

10 minutes ago, Monkey said:

Now i dont actually see a problem with this... they could band it like VED (road tax) where higher "poluting"/less efficient houses Attract a higher stamp duty. 

It would then focus some sellers, as their house becomes financially less attractive at the point of sale unless they fix the issue or lower the house price to compensate.

You know how they structured road tax to favour diesel cars so everyone bought diesel cars and the diesel (GERMAN!) car companies frigged the system? And now what?

remember when they said cavity insulation is great and now I see ‘were you missold cavity insulation?’ Adverts on tv?

the northern Irish RHI debacle? 

The mis-incentives to rich people with PV generation?

2 hours ago, Monkey said:

A(nother) tax break for homeowners & crappy landlords. I have a problem with it.

Needs more stick, no carrot.

I've long suspected that the council tax bill be be used with a multiplier according to EPC rating, so that an A (Band) x A (EPC) house will pay very little but an H (Band) x G (EPC) will get stung to oblivion.

2 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

How does this work - stamp duty is paid by the buyer not the seller who did the work on the property?

Perhaps they want first time buyers to pay for their sellers property to be made energy efficient so the poor downsizing boomer can sell their property for more money :D?

15 hours ago, Monkey said:

VED has always perplexed me. Why not tax the direct relationship to real world polluting by taxing the fuel?

For example, my car is 150ish a year VED whether i drive it or not. However while driving i can get between 40 and 60 mpg depending on how i drive. Same with housing, if some is at home all day running the CH full tilt they're putting more carbon out there from the house than the guys who head out to work or put a jumper on. 

8 hours ago, fru-gal said:

Perhaps they want first time buyers to pay for their sellers property to be made energy efficient so the poor downsizing boomer can sell their property for more money :D?

Sounds about right

11 hours ago, MARTINX9 said:

How does this work - stamp duty is paid by the buyer not the seller who did the work on the property?

Stamp duty is the responsibility of the buyer but it is paid by the seller.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/budget-philip-hammond-housing-sellers-first-time-buyers-stamp-duty-tax-big-catch-a7612241.html

Edited by DrBuyToLeech

12 hours ago, wasbuckers said:

I've long suspected that the council tax bill be be used with a multiplier according to EPC rating, so that an A (Band) x A (EPC) house will pay very little but an H (Band) x G (EPC) will get stung to oblivion.

That makes it very difficult for a tenant with no long term interest in the property so less likely to improve energy efficiency.

On 14/10/2017 at 6:05 AM, adarmo said:

VED has always perplexed me. Why not tax the direct relationship to real world polluting by taxing the fuel?

They do, already. As well.

Just now, mrtickle said:

They do, already. As well.

But my point is jack in the VED and just add the difference to the fuel. 

One wonders what they'll tax when we are all driving electric cars in five years. 

4 minutes ago, adarmo said:

But my point is jack in the VED and just add the difference to the fuel. 

One wonders what they'll tax when we are all driving electric cars in five years. 

New car smell