House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sledgehead

Petrol Powered Smoothie Maker

Okay. They don't exist (yet). But am I alone in spotting an ironic trend?

It seems to me that ever since politicians have been telling us to abandon fossil fuels in general, and internal-combustion-engine-powered vehicles in particular, weekends have been getting noisier, thanks largely to a surge in the adoption of petrol-powered garden equipment.

Over the laughably-named summer, hardly a Sunday passed without the almost-constant, percussive, chatter of two-stroke combustion engines.

Mowers.

Blowers.

Strimmers.

Washers.

Clippers.

Chippers.

Who would imagine that electricity was a mere extension lead away? (or for that matter, available cordlessly thanks to Li-ion powered solutions.)

And while our so-called polluting cars struggle to pass ever-tighter, regular, emissions tests, these nasty little factories of rattle and hum are given the green light to puff out particulates with impunity.

Garden suitably preened, the owners of these machines generally then resort to one of two modes of behaviour. Either they choke their neighbours with a barbecue, or, on chillier days, retire to their houses, kept warm by emissions-belching wood-burners. It would seem that these modes of leisure are chosen specifically so as to negate any possible benefit conferred on wider society by their adoption of 'hybrid' transportation.

:rolleyes:

For once, you have a point. 

Dont let it go to your head.

(declaration of interest: electric mower, cordless electric strimmer, electric mixer)

3 hours ago, EmmaRoid said:

For once, you have a point. 

Dont let it go to your head.

I'll try, but it's hard, having finally, after some 12,000 posts, secured your desperately desired approval . :wub:

PS : who the f*** are you again?

Bloody brilliant!

Never seen that one, but it's a pretty good shorthand, if you needed one, to explain how Clarkson made it big even when surrounded by PC bores.

The downside is he makes my suggestion seem lifted. Ah well, I ain't so precious.

20 minutes ago, Sledgehead said:

Bloody brilliant!

Never seen that one, but it's a pretty good shorthand, if you needed one, to explain how Clarkson made it big even when surrounded by PC bores.

The downside is he makes my suggestion seem lifted. Ah well, I ain't so precious.

I was trying to spare your feelings by not posting that video.

Internet tells me that a couple of weeks ago Lidl had a cheap compressor for sale:

2279542_1.jpg

And that was advertised with all manner of accessories, including compressed air powered:

drill

detail sander

belt sander

polisher

driver

multitool

chiseller

Of course, all of these items are traditionally available mains or batter powered, but now the Leaf is on order, why worry about the muck that cheap two-stroke compressor churns out?

5 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

Internet tells me that a couple of weeks ago Lidl had a cheap compressor for sale:

2279542_1.jpg

And that was advertised with all manner of accessories, including compressed air powered:

drill

detail sander

belt sander

polisher

driver

multitool

chiseller

Of course, all of these items are traditionally available mains or batter powered, but now the Leaf is on order, why worry about the muck that cheap two-stroke compressor churns out?

Isn't that compressor electric? 3389.pdf

#justsaying

7 minutes ago, EmmaRoid said:

Isn't that compressor electric? 3389.pdf

#justsaying

ah, i was wondering who'd notice that. well spotted that man.

... which  makes the whole ensemble even more pointless and even more energy wasting! (and that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!)

2 hours ago, John51 said:

Many mechanics prefer working with air tools.

Any idea why?

Something to do with most having compressed air lines for pneumatic tyres, clearing lines, drains, orifices, and perhaps finding leaks (exhaust etc), spray painting, blast cleaning?

On 10/15/2017 at 11:25 AM, Sledgehead said:

Any idea why?

Air powered spanners are way faster than hand powered spanners. A stubborn nut comes off as quickly as all the others. When putting nuts back on, nothing is quicker and with the correct torque too.

If grinding or using a wire brush etc. with a regular hand held power tool, you are lifting the electric motor as well as the tool itself. No big deal for occasional usage but if that's what you do to earn a living, tired arms = less income. Air tools are a lot of power for not much hand held weight.

16 minutes ago, John51 said:

Air powered spanners are way faster than hand powered spanners. A stubborn nut comes off as quickly as all the others. When putting nuts back on, nothing is quicker and with the correct torque too.

If grinding or using a wire brush etc. with a regular hand held power tool, you are lifting the electric motor as well as the tool itself. No big deal for occasional usage but if that's what you do to earn a living, tired arms = less income. Air tools are a lot of power for not much hand held weight.

good points