House Price Crash Forum

Who believes the BoE will raise rates in November ?

Who believes the BoE will raise rates in November ?  

193 members have voted

1. 1. Do you believe the BoE will raise rates in November ?

• Yes, nailed on
    • No, are you out of your tiny mind
    • Maybe, they've taken me in again

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/31/2017 at 11:59 PM

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 16/10/2017 at 1:39 PM, Kosmin said:

Do all the members just submit the percentage they think it should be (e.g. they could cut or raise by 0.1% or 1%), or do they agree on what they are voting on (0.25% movement only)?

lottery-gravity.jpg

1 hour ago, jiltedjen said:

The pound will be hammered if they don’t raise. 

freind went of holiday recently got 0.98 euros for £1 

what a mess brexit is, the boomers should never of been allowed to vote 

Why do people change money at the airport? It is never good value. My local travel agent has varied between 1.07 and 1.1 during the last couple of months.

12 minutes ago, onlooker said:

Why do people change money at the airport? It is never good value. My local travel agent has varied between 1.07 and 1.1 during the last couple of months.

That's not what I heard, but times may have changed. I thought airport bureaux were the best value owing to local competition. Having said that I always just use a cash machine abroad :)

Edited by Si1
8 minutes ago, Si1 said:

That's not what I heard, but times may have changed. I thought airport bureauz were the best value owing to local competition. Having said that I always just use a cash machine abroad :)

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/advice/Dont-buy-currency-at-airports-travellers-told/

It is an old article, but I don't think the situation has changed. The 'over the counter' exchange rate at say Gatwick I think is very poor. If you order in advance to pick up at the airport, you will get a better rate approximating to the High Street, or even ATM at destination.

It's nailed on, the pound and the FTSE would collapse now if they  didn't raise ( eg.what do the Bank know we don't). Happened in America last year when Yellen cried wolf, when they finally raised the DOW went into overdrive.

The Market has already pushed down high yielding stocks. But I don't think the Market actually understands how savings  work because market makers don't probably save real money,  they just buy houses in London and stocks on leverage. In the real world savers fix, so the receipts are the rolling average rate for the last five years. The pain will get worse as our 3% fixes from five years ago get rolled into 1.5% fixes next year, and that's with a couple of rate rises.

2 hours ago, jiltedjen said:

The pound will be hammered if they don’t raise. 

freind went of holiday recently got 0.98 euros for £1 

what a mess brexit is, the boomers should never of been allowed to vote 

At the risk of turning this into the Brexit thread, few things annoy me more than the presumption that elderly people were somehow being selfish in voting to leave the EU. Everybody I know fully expected significant short term economic pain on leaving the EU. For many elderly people/boomers, this will effectively last for the rest of their lives. We forget that older people have a lot more experience and wisdom.

47 minutes ago, onlooker said:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/advice/Dont-buy-currency-at-airports-travellers-told/

It is an old article, but I don't think the situation has changed. The 'over the counter' exchange rate at say Gatwick I think is very poor. If you order in advance to pick up at the airport, you will get a better rate approximating to the High Street, or even ATM at destination.

Last time I gave it some thought was over ten years ago, but fair enough :)

To address the question.  So what?  Any rise would be immaterial.  Yeh, sure sentiment blah blah.  Signs and smell of corporate gangrene and retrenchment everywhere, well beyond the usual pre-budget spin.  Happening regardless of interest rates.  Consumer tapped out and a tough ask selling higher prices (due to GDP devaluation) into this market.  Some companies have to retrench (cash flow and even zombies have to die) and others are smart.  Good time to announce (spin) it ahead of the budget.  Good times over.  The old snap, crackle, or pop!

54 minutes ago, onlooker said:

There is not one traditional bureau de change which will give you a good rate. They are all officially dead now that you can get a range of internet-only cards (for example I like Revolut) which convert at or close to the actual wholesale FX rate. The Post Office is one of the least bad - today they are offering 1.1023 euro for a pound (if you buy at least 400 pounds worth) but I can get 1.1250 per pound from Revolut and no requirement to change at least 400 quid.

19 minutes ago, oatbake said:

At the risk of turning this into the Brexit thread, few things annoy me more than the presumption that elderly people were somehow being selfish in voting to leave the EU. Everybody I know fully expected significant short term economic pain on leaving the EU. For many elderly people/boomers, this will effectively last for the rest of their lives. We forget that older people have a lot more experience and wisdom.

It's been a bad week for the Remain Ultras, Laura Keunssberg had to cancel the BBC Recession Special following the GDP release (half an hour of self flagellation and how f%%king stupid boomers were to vote Leave). Philip Hammond was seen trashing the contents of number 11 and seen to be saying this was not supposed to happen I do not accept the figures. God help the Leave voters if the GDP figures turn negative, Hammond, Keunssberg/ BBC  and co may still get their day of vitriolic relish.

Edited by crashmonitor
10 minutes ago, crashmonitor said:

It's been a bad week for the Remain Ultras, Laura Keunssberg had to cancel the BBC Recession Special following the GDP release (half an hour of self flagellation and how f%%king stupid boomers were to vote Leave). Philip Hammond was seen trashing the contents of number 11 and seen to be saying this was not supposed to happen I do not accept the figures. God help the Leave voters if the GDP figures turn negative, Hammond, Keunssberg/ BBC  and co may still get their day of vitriolic relish.

The terrible truth is that the only thing keeping the UK out of recession at the minute is mortgage debt. What Hammond does to keep house prices moving ever upwards concerns me more than his EU tantrums. Likewise, Carney. 

17 minutes ago, zugzwang said:

The terrible truth is that the only thing keeping the UK out of recession at the minute is mortgage debt. What Hammond does to keep house prices moving ever upwards concerns me more than his EU tantrums. Likewise, Carney. 

Allowing more 'owners' to take on more but smaller mortgages might be one way to move forward, while those trapped in current mortgages are.... well just that, trapped.

There was some chatter about messing with stamp duty in the autumn budget. Plus Mays conference info on HTB.

In some ways re the housing market they could do a 0.25% rise, then implement a stamp duty cut if that trashes the market.

I like the ITEM club statement of a recession caused by lack of consumer spending. It's only consumer debt that seems to be driving the economy forwards at the moment. Rock, meet hard place.

I am very close to buying recently but almost certainly going to pull out due to various issues. Maybe dodged a bullet.

My man in the city, the man who told be that fixtons share price was a goner, has informed me this very day that rates are going up before the end of the year, quite possible in Nov but if not in Dec.

The reason for the rises are not what people thibk. But a return to some kind of a norm is now imperative.

17 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

My man in the city, the man who told be that fixtons share price was a goner, has informed me this very day that rates are going up before the end of the year, quite possible in Nov but if not in Dec.

The reason for the rises are not what people thibk. But a return to some kind of a norm is now imperative.

Any idea if Incrementally? By how much?

4 hours ago, oatbake said:

+1

An to just moan some more

Forget Brexit ever existed how would the £ normally do at .25% with inflation heading to 3% + and the USA already ahead in the curve.

remember in the olden days before brexit we used to rise rates and lower them to influence the value of the £

I can only assume shafting the £ has been the objective 

On 12/10/2017 at 4:41 PM, Funn3r said:

Agree with everything except that. Just stop the tax credits I don't care what nationality it makes no difference, English, Welsh, Latvian, Chinese, just stop the tax credits 16 hours nailbar culture. And clean out the VAT fraudsters. 

+1000000

3 hours ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

December could be the month. After the market's had chance to digest the Autumn budget.

Hey_big_spender.jpg