Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Who believes the BoE will raise rates in November ?


Who believes the BoE will raise rates in November ?  

193 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you believe the BoE will raise rates in November ?

    • Yes, nailed on
      36
    • No, are you out of your tiny mind
      99
    • Maybe, they've taken me in again
      56

This poll is closed to new votes

  • Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/31/2017 at 11:59 PM

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any raise is correcting the mistake of the 0.25% cut last year, that's all. For me, it's raises after that reversal which are significant. Raising to 0.75% is of greater importance in terms of the message it sends IMO. It's whether they can sustain that and move up to 1% rather than back down again to 0.5% which is the most significant however. That may not happen in my lifetime...

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

Any raise is correcting the mistake of the 0.25% cut last year, that's all. For me, it's raises after that reversal which are significant. Raising to 0.75% is of greater importance in terms of the message it sends IMO. It's whether they can sustain that and move up to 1% rather than back down again to 0.5% which is the most significant however. That may not happen in my lifetime...

Fed said today, they are continuing with their normalization.

The BoE will be forced to follow ( I'd expect it's all been planned ), rates will rise.

Link to post
Share on other sites

The only way it could happen is if they pump benefits 10% and raise the tax threshold 10%.

Otherwise, what is left of the economy will implode into inflationary depression. There could also be serious unrest - scenes here like those seen in Catalan could tip civil society over the edge.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

No one believes them.  No one.

How is that getting better ?

They're openly being mocked.

I posted this elsewhere, but my son is doing an apprenticeship at Bloomberg. They gave it a 30% chance of happening (or something like that) and the markets reacted accordingly. I asked why? Why does anyone believe him? The only reason he says it is to get the market reaction he gets. He said, they don't really - if they did they'd have given it 80%.*

Anyway, I'm voting no.

* in fairness, there were some externalities that factored in as well to the 30%

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thee fall in the pound has not resulted in a flood of export. Just imported inflation.

The importing of ~6M EE has not turned the UK into a budget surplus employment machine. Just raised the cost of housing, stretched services and increase the budget deficit.

Try raising rates. Nothing to be lost. Honest.

Try kicking the EE tax creditors out and scrapping tax credits - watch the budget deficit swing ti surplus and the productivty shoot up (no more 16h hand car washrs, dog walkers, Pret a Mange onsite sndwich makers etc etc etc).

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Try kicking the EE tax creditors out 

 

 

Agree with everything except that. Just stop the tax credits I don't care what nationality it makes no difference, English, Welsh, Latvian, Chinese, just stop the tax credits 16 hours nailbar culture. And clean out the VAT fraudsters. 

Edited by Funn3r
Forgot the VAT fraud
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, tomandlu said:

I posted this elsewhere, but my son is doing an apprenticeship at Bloomberg. They gave it a 30% chance of happening (or something like that) and the markets reacted accordingly. I asked why? Why does anyone believe him? The only reason he says it is to get the market reaction he gets. He said, they don't really - if they did they'd have given it 80%.*

Anyway, I'm voting no.

* in fairness, there were some externalities that factored in as well to the 30%

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-10/carney-rate-hike-signals-something-ailing-in-the-u-k-economy

Quote

There’s a near 90 percent chance of a 25-basis-point increase on Nov. 2, according to market pricing,

I know its not neccessarily Bloombergs view, its their interpretation of the markets view

Edited by Monkey
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Monkey said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-10/carney-rate-hike-signals-something-ailing-in-the-u-k-economy

I know its not neccessarily Bloombergs view, its their interpretation of the markets view

That sounds more accurate than my rather garbled translation. However, I gather it's something of a feedback loop - everyone's looking at everyone else...

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 433 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.