House Price Crash Forum
TheCountOfNowhere

Who believes the BoE will raise rates in November ?

Who believes the BoE will raise rates in November ?  

193 members have voted

This poll is closed to new votes
  1. 1. Do you believe the BoE will raise rates in November ?

• Yes, nailed on
    • No, are you out of your tiny mind
    • Maybe, they've taken me in again

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/31/2017 at 11:59 PM

I predicted a rate rise before Christmas.

I wont believe it till I see it tho.

I suspect Carney's sat in a vault in the BoE rubbing the latest Halifax index saying "my precious".

Whatever happens, dont feel to gollum.

Any raise is correcting the mistake of the 0.25% cut last year, that's all. For me, it's raises after that reversal which are significant. Raising to 0.75% is of greater importance in terms of the message it sends IMO. It's whether they can sustain that and move up to 1% rather than back down again to 0.5% which is the most significant however. That may not happen in my lifetime...

15 minutes ago, subspace said:

We've been here time and again. I'll believe it when I see it.

Not quite here.  I think this time they are serious.  I still wont believe it till I see it.

12 minutes ago, rantnrave said:

Any raise is correcting the mistake of the 0.25% cut last year, that's all. For me, it's raises after that reversal which are significant. Raising to 0.75% is of greater importance in terms of the message it sends IMO. It's whether they can sustain that and move up to 1% rather than back down again to 0.5% which is the most significant however. That may not happen in my lifetime...

Fed said today, they are continuing with their normalization.

The BoE will be forced to follow ( I'd expect it's all been planned ), rates will rise.

March rise, they can say they did it this financial year, but too late to have any real effect on the ecconomy before the 2017/2018 books close

Edited by Monkey

The only way it could happen is if they pump benefits 10% and raise the tax threshold 10%.

Otherwise, what is left of the economy will implode into inflationary depression. There could also be serious unrest - scenes here like those seen in Catalan could tip civil society over the edge.

6 minutes ago, Broken biscuit said:

No. They're just getting better at lying - practise makes perfect.

No one believes them.  No one.

How is that getting better ?

They're openly being mocked.

4 minutes ago, TheCountOfNowhere said:

No one believes them.  No one.

How is that getting better ?

They're openly being mocked.

I posted this elsewhere, but my son is doing an apprenticeship at Bloomberg. They gave it a 30% chance of happening (or something like that) and the markets reacted accordingly. I asked why? Why does anyone believe him? The only reason he says it is to get the market reaction he gets. He said, they don't really - if they did they'd have given it 80%.*

Anyway, I'm voting no.

* in fairness, there were some externalities that factored in as well to the 30%

6 minutes ago, Arpeggio said:

You mean spelled as "raise"? Nice one.

If anyone thinks they will cut rates then they are seriously deluded.

The end game is afoot, have you not been reading the news.

Thee fall in the pound has not resulted in a flood of export. Just imported inflation.

The importing of ~6M EE has not turned the UK into a budget surplus employment machine. Just raised the cost of housing, stretched services and increase the budget deficit.

Try raising rates. Nothing to be lost. Honest.

Try kicking the EE tax creditors out and scrapping tax credits - watch the budget deficit swing ti surplus and the productivty shoot up (no more 16h hand car washrs, dog walkers, Pret a Mange onsite sndwich makers etc etc etc).

8 minutes ago, spyguy said:

Try kicking the EE tax creditors out 

Agree with everything except that. Just stop the tax credits I don't care what nationality it makes no difference, English, Welsh, Latvian, Chinese, just stop the tax credits 16 hours nailbar culture. And clean out the VAT fraudsters. 

Edited by Funn3r
Forgot the VAT fraud

18 minutes ago, tomandlu said:

I posted this elsewhere, but my son is doing an apprenticeship at Bloomberg. They gave it a 30% chance of happening (or something like that) and the markets reacted accordingly. I asked why? Why does anyone believe him? The only reason he says it is to get the market reaction he gets. He said, they don't really - if they did they'd have given it 80%.*

Anyway, I'm voting no.

* in fairness, there were some externalities that factored in as well to the 30%

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-10/carney-rate-hike-signals-something-ailing-in-the-u-k-economy

There’s a near 90 percent chance of a 25-basis-point increase on Nov. 2, according to market pricing,

I know its not neccessarily Bloombergs view, its their interpretation of the markets view

Edited by Monkey

12 minutes ago, Monkey said:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-10-10/carney-rate-hike-signals-something-ailing-in-the-u-k-economy

I know its not neccessarily Bloombergs view, its their interpretation of the markets view

That sounds more accurate than my rather garbled translation. However, I gather it's something of a feedback loop - everyone's looking at everyone else...