House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

reddog

Could this Harvey Weinstein story drag in half of Hollywood's actors? (already not looking good for Matt Damon and Ben Affleck)

As per title.

Personally I am sitting back and watch with interest, looks like every misdemeanour is going to be examined in detail - which Hollywood actor hasn't got a few skeletons in the cupboard?    

I don't think it ever looked good for Ben affleck. Don't know why he is considered A list.

The video where he supposedly groped that woman doesn't look conclusive. He has apologised however on twitter today so he probably did do it.

I am just curious why those women are coming forward after all these years. I know that what he did is punishable and nasty. But they had fame and jobs were sitting quiet. It's a very delicate topic.

Hasn't he denied the allegations?

Seems to me that it is in danger of becoming a witch hunt, with the burning, before there has even been a trial.

In any event, none of this is new or something that hasn't happened for literally thousands of years. Men (and women) in power have always used that power to obtain sex and other things. Nothing new in this. 

Not too coincidental that Hollywoods money to the Democrats/Clintons goes to waste and now certain dynasties are falling. 

A crisis that started with the MSM has now reached the entertainment industry and next up will be the music industry. 

One article I did read pretty much alludes to the fact that with the collapse of the traditional print media Hollywood, as one example are now finding it more difficult to keep a lid on things. Whereas before they could throw money at the problem to hush up the media and everyone else. 

That model no longer applies. The establishments gate keepers of news and entertainment are imploding. 

Sexual harrassment is never acceptable, but when it is a repeated pattern over many years, complete with behaviour that rapidly swings from threats and intimidation through to crying like a baby when rejected, you're probably dealing with a sociopath rather than a sleazy opportunist. Sociopaths are often highly successful, driven by their monsterous ego and their blackened, shriveled soul. 

I know of one in London whose behaviour is not too dissimilar to Weinstein. A Z-lister for sure, but a relentless predator too. I just hope the Weinstein case encourages one of his many victims to come forward because it will unleash a tsunami. The term is far too overused, but genunine sociopaths are devastatingly dangerous and malevolent individuals. The best advice is to steer well clear.

6 hours ago, LondonBooming said:

I am just curious why those women are coming forward after all these years. I know that what he did is punishable and nasty. But they had fame and jobs were sitting quiet. It's a very delicate topic

+1 Suddenly after so many years. What about any false accusations which destroy a man's career ? (not in this case but in other cases)

5 hours ago, Monkey said:

Americas/Hollywoods Jimmy Saville moment?

That is what I was thinking, might just peter out, but I am thinking there will a lot of people coming forward.

He is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Or have we all lost our minds and descended into 'burn the witch' style justice?

If he maintains innocence, each and every allegation will need to be proved. And since many were behind closed doors with no witnesses (and some time ago), this may prove tricky. He can also pay for the best lawyers as well.

per his lawyer:

“Mr. Weinstein obviously can’t speak to anonymous allegations, but with respect to any women who have made allegations on the record, Mr. Weinstein believes that all of these relationships were consensual," a statement from his representative to The New Yorker said.

"Mr. Weinstein has begun counseling, has listened to the community and is pursuing a better path. Mr. Weinstein is hoping that, if he makes enough progress, he will be given a second chance."

9 minutes ago, Errol said:

He is innocent until proven guilty in a court of law. Or have we all lost our minds and descended into 'burn the witch' style justice?

If he maintains innocence, each and every allegation will need to be proved. And since many were behind closed doors with no witnesses (and some time ago), this may prove tricky. He can also pay for the best lawyers as well.

per his lawyer:

“Mr. Weinstein obviously can’t speak to anonymous allegations, but with respect to any women who have made allegations on the record, Mr. Weinstein believes that all of these relationships were consensual," a statement from his representative to The New Yorker said.

"Mr. Weinstein has begun counseling, has listened to the community and is pursuing a better path. Mr. Weinstein is hoping that, if he makes enough progress, he will be given a second chance."

I wasn't really commenting on whether he was innocent or guilty, I was more asking if we were going to see the spectacle of Hollywood eating itself. 

8 minutes ago, reddog said:

I was more asking if we were going to see the spectacle of Hollywood eating itself. 

Well the answer to this is 'yes'. They are doing so already (and in fact have been for a long time, well before this incident).

On 10/12/2017 at 9:03 AM, LondonBooming said:

I am just curious why those women are coming forward after all these years. I know that what he did is punishable and nasty. But they had fame and jobs were sitting quiet. It's a very delicate topic.

....could be they thought nobody would believe them, how would they have known others had suffered the same treatment and if they did would they be brave enough to speak?.....they thought people would think they were 'asking' for it?......or just that their career would be compromised if they spilt the beans.... so grin and bear it.......only collectively can weaker people overcome the strong and powerful.

There is much to be said that this happens in all sectors of society if allowed/enabled to happen.....powerful people will sometimes want, and think they can have power over everything and everybody. ;)

21 hours ago, Errol said:

per his lawyer:

All men are guilty unless proved innocent. Not sure what the Modern equivalent of the ducking stool is, but no doubt one will be introduced soon. Keep your head down and avoid eye contact with women, know your place. :unsure:

Also the water gets muddied when a lot of struggling actresses and models moonlight as call girls or become mistresses (so their accusations if harrasment carry less weight).

But just suppose you have PhD in blah and see your dream job offered. Imagine you are the best candidate.

Imagine attending the interview and being told if you want the job, putting out will be required.

If you don't comply. What are the consequences?

52 minutes ago, Sledgehead said:

But just suppose you have PhD in blah and see your dream job offered. Imagine you are the best candidate.

Imagine attending the interview and being told if you want the job, putting out will be required.

You walk away a poorer but wiser person

None of this is new.

And since when did good looking people of both sexes stop using that natural advantage to advance their careers.

Not that it is any more morally reprehensible than exploiting superior intellect or any other talent to promote themselves. It just sticks in my craw when people use the advantage of sexual attractiveness to swing the job selection or promotion process in their favour and then whine about the consequences. Unless they were physically assaulted a lot of them knew what they were doing.

That is the Catch 22 of the Weinstein case. If Hollywood  eliminated people of his ilk then many of the sorts of people now making accusations against him would not be making it to the red carpet in the first place as  most would not have done it on acting talent alone 

On 12/10/2017 at 9:03 AM, LondonBooming said:

For a young actress or singer, fighting back usually means the end of your career - see Sean Young as an example

By the time they have themselves established and have enough cash in the bank not to care, the events are probably a decade or two in the past and so why drag it out now? On the other hand when someone like Weinstein hits the news, then why not add another voice - thats relatively low risk

Affleck is just your typical fratboy idiot, I dont think he is in the same league as Weinstein, I get the impression Affleck has since grown up while Weinstein hasn't.

7 minutes ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

You walk away a wiser person

None of this is new.

And since when did good looking people of both sexes stop using that natural advantage to advance their careers.

Not that it is any more morally reprehensible than exploiting superior intellect or any other talent to promote themselves. It just sticks in my craw when people use the advantage of sexual attractiveness to swing the job selection or promotion process in their favour and then whine about the consequences. Unless they were physically assaulted a lot of them knew what they were doing.

That is the Catch 22 of the Weinstein case. If Hollywood  eliminated people of his ilk then many of the sorts of people now making accusations against him would not be making it to the red carpet in the first place as  most would not have done it on acting talent alone 

Just because someone is attractive, a basic requirement for many acting jobs. Does not give the men with the big desks an excuse to grope them, assault them or coerce sexual favours.

3 hours ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

You walk away a poorer but wiser person

None of this is new.

"You walk away a wiser person"?

The only consequence?

You know that is not the full story because you continue:

" It just sticks in my craw when people use the advantage of sexual attractiveness to swing the job selection or promotion process in their favour"

and add:

" If Hollywood  eliminated people of his ilk then many of the sorts of people now making accusations against him would not be making it to the red carpet in the first place as  most would not have done it on acting talent alone "

Exactly! The same for my hypothetical PhD character.

But who is to blame? Characters like Weinsten of course. They pay the piper, so they are the ones calling the tune. And the tune is, "easy guys and girls get on. "

Sure it helps if you are good looking. But if you don't put out, what good does that do?

Just imagine being a shareholder in that company recruiting the PhD. 24 months later all your stuff is off patent, your dividends have evaporated and your shares are down the pan. Your lab was supposed to find new antibiotics, however, slowly but surely the post antibiotic apocalypse approaches with nothing new in sight. When you finally decide to visit the labs you find nothing but a bunch of supermodels updating their profiles and touching up their makeup, waiting for the head of HR to call them into his office and rodger them over his desk.

Is that really the kind of world we should just throw our hands up in despair at and say "twas always thus!"?

21 hours ago, Sledgehead said:

it's a shame this doesn't happen to men more. Why can't men have hot female interviewers who force them to 'put out' in order to get the job?

'You WILL take me roughly from behind over this desk', says the hot sexy-secretary uniform wearing interviewer, 'or you won't get this job. I'll see to that. Now do it!'.