House Price Crash Forum

Just now, zugzwang said:

Compact and bijou.

From what I can see it is almost identical in footprint and layout to the new build I am living in right now... and probably a fraction of the price! If the showhome is open to the public I am tempted to check it out next time I'm over that way (I live quite near the factory).

10 hours ago, oatbake said:

From what I can see it is almost identical in footprint and layout to the new build I am living in right now... and probably a fraction of the price! If the showhome is open to the public I am tempted to check it out next time I'm over that way (I live quite near the factory).

I suspect not.  Anyone know the price , and how it compares ? 

14 hours ago, Calcutta said:

The house itself would do fine, unfortunately the ground under it would probably come at an extortionate rate. This country is run by ***** remember.

This 100%. We all know it's not the price of building and materials...

I dont think it's just a slip of the mind on behalf of L & G that there is NO MENTION of how much these are likely to cost...

Edited by JustAnotherProle

6 minutes ago, JustAnotherProle said:

I dont think it's just a slip of the mind on behalf of L & G that there is NO MENTION of how much these are likely to cost...

How much does it cost to build a house, once you've already paid for the land? This looks like an uninspiring (they look better than old prefabs but still utterly bland) solution to a problem we've not got.

Odd that they feel need to add bricks after construction - this seems to be a British obsession. I personally don't mind the aluminum (?) covering they use in the states that looks like white painted wood. Would lower costs even more if they could build the whole lot in the factory.

19 minutes ago, PropertyMania said:

Odd that they feel need to add bricks after construction - this seems to be a British obsession. I personally don't mind the aluminum (?) covering they use in the states that looks like white painted wood. Would lower costs even more if they could build the whole lot in the factory.

Bricks live expectancy is much longer, aluminium cladding 15-20 years

3 hours ago, LondonBooming said:

Bricks live expectancy is much longer, aluminium cladding 15-20 years

Didn't know that. Probably one of the reasons Americans are more inclined to knock down their existing house and start again. 

Anyway, this production line prefab stuff is all very 20th century. The future is surely highly bespoke on-site 3D printing.

4 hours ago, JustAnotherProle said:

9 hours ago, Saving For a Space Ship said:

I suspect not.  Anyone know the price , and how it compares ? 

Aren't they going to be Build to Rent? 

21 hours ago, oatbake said:

Looks like prefab is back...and it looks awesome!...

Oh that's just the show home n marketing blurb for the deluxe exec version,
get the keys to your new slave box and find it's pretty $hitty (and smaller!).

3 hours ago, PropertyMania said:

Didn't know that. Probably one of the reasons Americans are more inclined to knock down their existing house and start again. 

Anyway, this production line prefab stuff is all very 20th century. The future is surely highly bespoke on-site 3D printing.

Yes i saw in China it's amazing how quickly they can build stuff.

On 08/10/2017 at 8:57 PM, oatbake said:

Looks like prefab is back...and it looks awesome!

http://www.legalandgeneral.com/modular/

An example home: 

Probably better quality than many newbuilds! It would be interesting to know if these will be mortgageable, unlike the prefabs of old.

Interesting stuff!

I have never seen a new build I actually want to live in, call me picky, sure but ... i think all the surveys they do where we all supposedly want 8x8 box rooms with no garden and a parking meter out front are elderly people looking to cash-in on there wise investment.

we had a village plan done by the parish council, statement in it, there must be enough small places so people wanting to stay in the village could down size - wtf?  do they even need to ask?

10 hours ago, Riedquat said:

How much does it cost to build a house, once you've already paid for the land? This looks like an uninspiring (they look better than old prefabs but still utterly bland) solution to a problem we've not got.

Absolute minimum to modern standards is around £800/sq m. More realistic is £1200-£1800 /sqm fully finished. There are several online calculators which take into account build type / finish level / build route (contractors vs self finish for example) and number of floors etc as the economics change with more floors.

10 hours ago, Freki said:

oh goodness, that video is painful to watch. This is way, way too much

+100. I was almost gagging at the fake looks of Wonder on the faces of the visitors. That's not a home that's a prison.

6 hours ago, Lavalas said:

Aren't they going to be Build to Rent? 

Aka Gavin Barwell's dog kennels. 

Put it this way, not many of the goons in that promo look like FTBs.

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2017/09/27/build-to-rent-fuels-100000-homes-building-boom/

Build-to-rent projects are igniting a construction boom in major cities across the country as investors pour cash into schemes.

There are now nearly 96,000 build-to-rent homes complete, under construction and in planning, a near 40% jump on the figures for first quarter of this year.

According to research by Savills for the British Property Federation, London leads the expansion with Manchester, Leeds, Liverpool and Birmingham catching up fast.

Taken together the regional cities also now account for a larger pipeline than the Capital, where private rental schemes first took off.

Contractors are also directly joining in the race to supply private rented housing with 19% of planned rooms directly developed by building firms.

Researchers also found the size of build-to-rent schemes is growing, with 34 developments currently in the pipeline providing over 500 new rented homes each – compared to 24 developments at the start of the year.

Ian Fletcher, Director of Real Estate Policy, British Property Federation said that at a time when both central government and the Mayor of London are focused on fixing the UK’s broken housing market, the data shows the build-to-rent sector’s capacity to deliver new homes at speed.

When looking only at the number of build-to-rent homes just under construction and in planning, the rate of growth soars to 45% since the Spring, risen from 54,500 to 79,000.

All drives down rents further. The perfect storm for BTL! 

I will concede that almost everybody on that video looked like a landlord though. I don't think there was anyone under 40...

'UK housebuilding revolution': £65,000 prefab homes go into production

Two Yorkshire factories try to tackle housing crisis with modular two and three-bedroom homes

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/nov/30/uk-housebuilding-revolution-65000-prefab-homes-go-into-production

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Dezeen regularly features prefab homes. I saw one that was £68k (as I recall) and it looked good. As ever, our land costs too much.

Prefab is the default in Japan - not a nation known for compromising quality but insulation is another matter).