House Price Crash Forum

What's positive for you right now

wish I could afford one

HOLA441

I don't know if it's the grey skies of today, whether it's the start of winter closing in or whether it's all the current HPC topics that I've just read through but the world for a moment seemed a pretty depressing place to live.  Then I thought about it for a moment and my life is not depressing at all and is actually pretty darn good.  Thought it might be worth having a positive thread where we can share why life is good for you right now.

My life is currently great because:

• I have a fabulous family who are generally healthy and happy.
  • We've all bought into life being about quality of life and not standard of living meaning life is no longer a competition and instead is about positive experiences.
  • While still in the South East I no longer have to be anywhere near London and what it has become.
  • I no longer need The Man.
  • One of our dreams is about to become a reality.  In the summer of next year UK house prices will no longer matter to my family.  Life is far to short to be mortgaged to the hilt and then spend the rest of your best years paying it off.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

HOLA442

I live in Yorkshire which is simply the finest county in Britain. Have decent family and friends in the locale.

I rent well, the stock market probably represents decent long term value because everyone's so obsessed with property.

I have a fun job I enjoy.

Pension tax breaks currently still excellent, again probably because everyone's so obsessed with property.

Edited by Si1

HOLA443
HOLA444
  • I live in Cornwall 15 minutes from both the south and north coast, take the doggies there lots to catch ball
  • Im almost 29 with 74.5k saved for a deposit (with the partner)
  • I live rent free (partners parents house)
  • Job is enjoyable and fulfilling, you look like your working really hard doing less than average (compared to rest of the county) as the locals are lazy
  • potter around in my Lotus Elise which i enjoy lots
  • i'm 'punching' in regards to the misses 
  • have my health, and thats all that really matters
Edited by jiltedjen

HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447
HOLA448
50 minutes ago, wish I could afford one said:

I don't know if it's the grey skies of today, whether it's the start of winter closing in or whether it's all the current HPC topics that I've just read through but the world for a moment seemed a pretty depressing place to live.  Then I thought about it for a moment and my life is not depressing at all and is actually pretty darn good.  Thought it might be worth having a positive thread where we can share why life is good for you right now.

My life is currently great because:

• I have a fabulous family who are generally healthy and happy.
  • We've all bought into life being about quality of life and not standard of living meaning life is no longer a competition and instead is about positive experiences.
  • While still in the South East I no longer have to be anywhere near London and what it has become.
  • I no longer need The Man.
  • One of our dreams is about to become a reality.  In the summer of next year UK house prices will no longer matter to my family.  Life is far to short to be mortgaged to the hilt and then spend the rest of your best years paying it off.

What a great idea for a thread

Woke up above ground, in good health at 56 and fit

Have the love of a fabulous lady who still turns  a few heads as an ex dancer who looks after herself, we have been together since we were 19

Two children to be proud of a son and a girl (a kings gift) Son married and living in New York, Daughter told her boss to stuff it a month ago and leaving on Wednesday without an obvious plan but has worked it out

Cleaned the Aston Vantage for a trip to Arnhem next weekend to see the Stones (fettling anything with petrol going through it is my favourite hobby)

Sold our house on the 6th July and happy as larry in our rented home for a year whilst we assess what to do next

Business I founded 26 years ago still going and will do for the foreseeable

Have a smashing bunch of close friends

HOLA449
HOLA4410

Autumn colours and there's been the odd bright patch, and out and about in that (not that I am much today), coming in when it starts to get dark but pottering around in the last of the light, or in the shed (which has a light) as it darkens is good. Might go out and plant a few bulbs.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
HOLA4415
17 minutes ago, wish I could afford one said:

Nice, enjoy it.  Do you have a motorhome or something else?  Are you retired or can you work from anywhere?

Yep, got me a motorhome. I just need the internet to work, so it's a working holiday. Experimented with fulltiming this year in it (that's the term for living in an motorhome), but you either have campsite fees, which rack up to the same cost as renting a room, or dealing with the public, which is never fun. Europe is far easier to manage due to service points for water and waste and a much more accepting outlook.

Might spend a month here if there's space available. 220 euros for first month, gets cheaper,  includes all services:

https://www.casa-azzurra.pt/english-1/

But will be doing a mixture of beach living and a month or so at a time on site if they're nice. Checked it out and can get unlimited data for 25 euros a month on a sim so don't need to worry about wifi.

Edited by honkydonkey

HOLA4416
9 minutes ago, honkydonkey said:

Yep, got me a motorhome. I just need the internet to work, so it's a working holiday. Experimented with fulltiming this year in it (that's the term for living in an motorhome), but you either have campsite fees, which rack up to the same cost as renting a room, or dealing with the public, which is never fun. Europe is far easier to manage due to service points for water and waste and a much more accepting outlook.

Might spend a month here if there's space available. 220 euros for first month, gets cheaper,  includes all services:

https://www.casa-azzurra.pt/english-1/

But will be doing a mixture of beach living and a month or so at a time on site if they're nice. Checked it out and can get unlimited data for 25 euros a month on a sim so don't need to worry about wifi.

Thanks for sharing.  Have you ever read the OurTour blog?  They seem to spend most of the time free/wildcamping with some intermittent campsites to keep the costs down further.  I think this means you have to move often which might be disruptive if you're also trying to work though.

HOLA4417
Just now, wish I could afford one said:

Thanks for sharing.  Have you ever read the OurTour blog?  They seem to spend most of the time free/wildcamping with some intermittent campsites to keep the costs down further.  I think this means you have to move often which might be disruptive if you're also trying to work though.

Yeah I've seen it. There's many, many people doing this now. Most campsites in the Algarve will be full of retiree's, and I don't particularly want to spend my time in that sort of environment, so I plan to move around a lot regardless. From what I've read Portugal is pretty laid back in terms of spending a week in a beach car park (especially outside of summer) and I can manage a week in between water fills so can happily and comfortably be off grid. 

HOLA4418
HOLA4419
11 minutes ago, honkydonkey said:

Yeah I've seen it. There's many, many people doing this now. Most campsites in the Algarve will be full of retiree's, and I don't particularly want to spend my time in that sort of environment, so I plan to move around a lot regardless. From what I've read Portugal is pretty laid back in terms of spending a week in a beach car park (especially outside of summer) and I can manage a week in between water fills so can happily and comfortably be off grid. 

Sounds like a real adventure.  Enjoy it.

If you enjoy it to much and decide to stay I think Portugal has a very favourable tax regime you can apply for if you're a new resident.  Might be worth investigating if you decide to stay on post the winter.

HOLA4420
13 minutes ago, wish I could afford one said:

Sounds like a real adventure.  Enjoy it.

If you enjoy it to much and decide to stay I think Portugal has a very favourable tax regime you can apply for if you're a new resident.  Might be worth investigating if you decide to stay on post the winter.

If I could buy a nice simple property then it's something I'd certainly consider. I always use my trips as reconnaissance missions and, on an upbeat note, the UK housing situation has forced me to look into alternatives (much like you) and they're not half bad.

HOLA4421

This year has been a strange one. Melancholy i think describes it best. After the madness of 2016 this has been the hangover. 

Relentless terrorist attacks, depressingly predictable and  obvious media/social media political bias, grenfell, a failed election, Trump proving the US president has as much power as a chained up dog, stagnant economies worldwide, house prices dancing around on the cliffs edge but never quite going off.

Al in all a lot of shite that seemed pretty bad at the time but that's changed nothing for the vast majority.  

Personally everything's kosher, kids are sound, work's alright and I'm still on track to be FIRE by 50 so I'm golden.

As for the HPC on a dark day I'd say TPTB will throw everything at preserving wealth of the majority of semi detached boomers, but they can't stop Brexit from ripping the carpet out from under parasitic BTLers and the slumlords. The time of purification is almost upon us.

HOLA4422

Enjoy £25 PH job, which is not location dependent.

I make money from overseas also, which isn't location dependent either. Someone in Chile (or anywhere) can buy from me whether I'm in England, Wales or Canada.

According to my optician I have the retina of a 25 year old at age 38.

With low body fat my BMI is 24.2 when I've not ate for 16 hour and just had a poop. Would like to get to 25 BMI and stop there.

HOLA4423

Healthy 49 years old. 2 great kids, 5 grandkids all local and knowing I can give up work next year just so I can enjoy 'the best bits' all over again and looking forward to taking them on holidays each year too. 

I make strangers laugh (waiters, shop assistants, old people in the super market, whoever)...my wife loves that and I love that I make her happy. Tidy wife by the way. 

My mates at the pub and footie. Ground me...like I should be grounded.

Appreciate the little things which seem to be missed by so many. Outstounded by the earth, the stars, the passage of time, nature....wake up and feel so lucky I can see things that make me joyous.

i guess that's North Yorkshire ?

Ps some great posts and a good idea for a thread. 

HOLA4424

Between self employment(trading) and a part time job I'm making ends meet without recourse to any benefits, tax credits etc. I have a good deal of free time to pursue my own interests, I can run a car, have no debt, have around £45k of working/trading capital and various other potential business opportunities I'm investigating. I live on a boat, and can cut my expenses to the bone if necessary. ( I've done it before ).  I have great friends, a satisfying and varied love life, and I'm in reasonable health for my age, mid 40's.

Overall, I'm in a pretty good position to weather whatever's coming economically, socially and emotionally, I reckon. 

HOLA4425
7 hours ago, RomfordDon said:

At the moment  can only think of a single thing. My family.

I rent in havering the only part of London still going up. I am unable to move cus of work and family.

Have faith, locally BTL scum went mad in the last few years snapping up everything, last month on Rightmove in a 3 mile radius only 9/54 new or reduced in Sept actually sold, this month there's 24 new or reduced in 8 days and none even under offer... plenty chain free, they are starting to catch on and I see plenty more listings to cone

Just hopefully we don't end up both after the same house ?