Jump to content
House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

reddog

Could the Russia 2018 World Cup show we have passed 'peak football' in England?

Recommended Posts

Was going to resurrect one of my old threads but it is locked: 

 

 

My point is: Premiership Football viewer figures are down:

https://www.google.ch/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/45e8a3e8-4d1e-11e7-a3f4-c742b9791d43

fewerpeople are attending the world cup qualifiers (England Vs Slovenia had an attendance of low 60k's).

 

Could people be:

1) getting bored of watching England (this has been talked about in the media)

2) getting bored with football in general (not talked about much in the media as it would turn the whole world of media and advertising on its head)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the point of watching the England national football team. The result in recent years have always been the same. They qualify for international tournaments after a series of poor performance s against a group full of footballing minnows like Andorra from before crashing out at the group stage of the finals once all their flaws have been exposed by better sides. It is just a stale comedy routine that does not even get laughs anymore.

The EPL is a league full of foreign players, owners and coaches many with unpronounceable names. The only thing English about it is the title and the money from dumb f*ck TV viewers that keeps the show on the road.

What is surprising is not that only 60 thousand went to the Slovenia game but that anyone turned up at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't even watch the qualifier. It used to be quite an event. Remember the 1973 exit against Poland with Norman Hunter's ill fated run to the wing leaving MacFarland hopelessly exposed against two Polish strikers and England conceding the goal that saw them out. The neighbour was the only one on the street with a colour television and we all piled in there. It really was huge back then.

England's dreadful display in 2014 and 2016 ( Europeans) probably has a lot to answer for. It's been torturous watching them in finals. Non qualification might be a case of putting fans out of their misery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I find it hard to get excited about a bunch of young entitled multimillionaires kicking a ball around these days tbh 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, stormymonday_2011 said:

What's the point of watching the England national football team.

Basically this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, lid said:

I find it hard to get excited about a bunch of young entitled multimillionaires kicking a ball around these days tbh 

I feel the same, when younger I used to idolise anybody who wore the England shirt. The men of 66 and 70 were heroes.

Now I don't know half of the team, a lot of them I just don't like.

So despite the media frenzy before every World Cup and our inevitable exit, I get a strange unpatriotic feeling that we deserve it and I am glad in a way that the likes of Ramsey, Charlton, Hurst, Banks etc. still hold their place in British history as they really merit their place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The teams now play the same . Very little individual brilliance . It if it to professional. They just not allowed to play.

Other sports have suffered too.

I use to watching boxing with my dad. I could hardly name a boxer now.

F1 is so much as procession now they had to introduce drs and bubble gum tired to make it entertainment.  More like wwf now.

And as for wrestling. There are nurmous stories on the net about empty house shows

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, nnails said:

And as for wrestling. There are nurmous stories on the net about empty house shows

 

I wouldn't know how to find one but I'm mildly intrigued and amused.  Got a link?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good point - was only thinking yesterday how I'm not arsed with England games at the moment when I used to be well into it - the highlight being Euro '96 finals for me.  Still well into the EPL though.

Whereas rugby union I'm well into England (plus the lions) and don't follow club much.  Very keen on boxing as well since it ws mentioned.

NB. If England had a team like Euro'96 again I could well get excited again...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, GARCH said:

Good point - was only thinking yesterday how I'm not arsed with England games at the moment when I used to be well into it - the highlight being Euro '96 finals for me.  Still well into the EPL though.

Whereas rugby union I'm well into England (plus the lions) and don't follow club much.  Very keen on boxing as well since it ws mentioned.

NB. If England had a team like Euro'96 again I could well get excited again...

I recon if England actually got into the final or semi final there would be a big upswing for the next few years, however even with that long term I think it could be losing popularity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would inspire more confidence if we had a decent Manager. It probably takes one to know one :unsure:but the guy is a complete idiot.  He is robotic and is unable to come out with an intelligent sentence or anything remotely interesting. Most guys of his ability would probably question how it happened, but I reckon like a precocious kid he thinks he is up for it. A bit like that penalty shoot out miss many moons again. 

(slightly tongue in cheek btw)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, chronyx said:

I wouldn't know how to find one but I'm mildly intrigued and amused.  Got a link?

Appeared on my YouTube the other day.  I had been watching about dynamite kid being a bully

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, frankief said:

I feel the same, when younger I used to idolise anybody who wore the England shirt. The men of 66 and 70 were heroes.

Now I don't know half of the team, a lot of them I just don't like.

So despite the media frenzy before every World Cup and our inevitable exit, I get a strange unpatriotic feeling that we deserve it and I am glad in a way that the likes of Ramsey, Charlton, Hurst, Banks etc. still hold their place in British history as they really merit their place.

That is pretty much my view.

The glory rightly belongs to Moore, Hurst, Charlton, Banks etc because they earned it and to be honest none of the recent crop of players really deserve it.

I don't suppose many people round the World are really looking forward to Russia 2018 least of all the current England squad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, crashmonitor said:

It would inspire more confidence if we had a decent Manager. It probably takes one to know one :unsure:but the guy is a complete idiot.  He is robotic and is unable to come out with an intelligent sentence or anything remotely interesting. Most guys of his ability would probably question how it happened, but I reckon like a precocious kid he thinks he is up for it. A bit like that penalty shoot out miss many moons again. 

(slightly tongue in cheek btw)

I think Southgate is an honest, decent and straightforward chap. He works hard and knows football, but whether he is of the right calibre to lead an international team is another matter entirely.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To answer the original question: I hope so.

I should add that I have no interest in sport so that has helped me enormously, in a financial sense, as I am not lured in by SKY, cable, satellite deals etc.  For me, the best thing about the World Cup is that it used to keep people off the streets so cycling was more enjoyable.  In case you are wondering, cycling is not a sport in my book, its an activity.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The answer has already been given - I've never met anyone that enjoys watching England games. Euro 96 was fun I guess.

What's slightly odd is how un-competitive the English clubs have become in the last few years especially when compared to the Spanish.

Spain or its clubs have won the world cup, European cup twice, multiple champions league winners and a lot more in just the last few years.

One explanation is that the Premier League is indeed the best and most competitive league because the money and power is spread more over around 6 clubs which means when they go into Europe they will struggle against more concentrated powers.

Also, watching football has become slightly more complicated too. Although Sky Sports have probably had too much power, perhaps the anti-competition rules made it worse for fans who now need BT Sport as well to watch their teams.

England just need the stars to align and actually get 1, 2 or 3 epic players which may never ever happen. They've been close to having 1 epic player over the years but only close. Everyone is praying Kane is the real deal but it's a long shot. Real deal in terms of having a player that goes on for years just and years smashing the game like Ronaldo or Messi. Seems unlikely.

Incidently, I know that even some Spanish people don't enjoy watching Spain or La Liga clubs outside of the major tournaments.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, nnails said:

Appeared on my YouTube the other day.  I had been watching about dynamite kid being a bully

Wow, I thought I was the only person watching YouTube 'shoot' videos about 80s WWF stars such as Dynamite Kid loosing his teeth to the fabulous rougeaus! Very talented wrestler but not a nice person.  He is in a really bad way now, when he dies I will post a tribute on here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, LondonBooming said:

Why would you give 100% for representing your country when you have to perform in your paid job with salaries exceeding hundreds of thousand.

I think it's the perfect storm of multiple huge clubs who pay their salaries dictating their life, frustration and boredom playing with other mediocre English teammates, no manager to really break their balls a la Ferguson or no manager that commands respect like a former England legend who did it all (there aren't any), and no manager like Ferguson would ever take the job for a multitude of reasons.

There is absolutely no appetite for a UK team, but they would at least have a few more players to choose from and Gareth Bale is easily the biggest British out there. The population don't want it and the FAs don't want it - because they lose power over FIFA (because of the IFAB agreement).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, reddog said:

Wow, I thought I was the only person watching YouTube 'shoot' videos about 80s WWF stars such as Dynamite Kid loosing his teeth to the fabulous rougeaus! Very talented wrestler but not a nice person.  He is in a really bad way now, when he dies I will post a tribute on here.

Yet I can't watch wrestling now. Must have different from kids point of view.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Iceland game was the final straw for me, not sure if I've watched a game since. As another poster says, the whole charade of an easy qualifying group followed by shambolic performances against anyone half decent at tournament stage has got far too tiring. Our FIFA world rating hasn't seemed right in years, we dispatch the minnows consistently and routinely qualify for tournaments so get ranked quite highly and then falter when we play a Sweden, USA or Mexico...i.e. any reasonable side.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, cica said:

The answer has already been given - I've never met anyone that enjoys watching England games. Euro 96 was fun I guess.

What's slightly odd is how un-competitive the English clubs have become in the last few years especially when compared to the Spanish.

Spain or its clubs have won the world cup, European cup twice, multiple champions league winners and a lot more in just the last few years.

One explanation is that the Premier League is indeed the best and most competitive league because the money and power is spread more over around 6 clubs which means when they go into Europe they will struggle against more concentrated powers.

Also, watching football has become slightly more complicated too. Although Sky Sports have probably had too much power, perhaps the anti-competition rules made it worse for fans who now need BT Sport as well to watch their teams.

England just need the stars to align and actually get 1, 2 or 3 epic players which may never ever happen. They've been close to having 1 epic player over the years but only close. Everyone is praying Kane is the real deal but it's a long shot. Real deal in terms of having a player that goes on for years just and years smashing the game like Ronaldo or Messi. Seems unlikely.

Incidently, I know that even some Spanish people don't enjoy watching Spain or La Liga clubs outside of the major tournaments.

Hard to explain how we won six in a row between 1977 to 82( European cup). Zero foreign national players and huge dilution of talent across numerous clubs so that small town clubs like Forest were in the reckoning. Liverpool (3) Forest (2) Villa (1)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A lot of people on this thread are saying the current generation are crap compared with England sides from 1966, Italia 90, Euro 96 etc.  I agree with this, however I have a theory (unproven as I don't know enough young people), that young people who would not have experienced these tournaments are falling just as much or more out of love with football than the older generation (probably caused by mobile phones, they are blamed for every media trend that media people don't like!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • 294 Brexit, House prices and Summer 2020

    1. 1. Including the effects Brexit, where do you think average UK house prices will be relative to now in June 2020?


      • down 5% +
      • down 2.5%
      • Even
      • up 2.5%
      • up 5%



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.